BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Rotiform Wheel Quality?

Rotiform seems to make some cool looking wheels both cheap cast and custom forged. Anyone here actually own a set for a long time that can attest to quality, fit and finish durability, etc.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I wouldn't take them on the track, but for street use they're probably fine. Just don't run rubberband tires that will provide no protection to the rim on crappy roads.

If you really want to know the quality of their wheels, why don't you call them up and ask some questions about the forging processes & materials, the wheel loads they design for, the certifications, etc. Without that, you're relying on anecdotal evidence and whatever the marketing department decides to put on the website.
      02-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I wouldn't take them on the track, but for street use they're probably fine. Just don't run rubberband tires that will provide no protection to the rim on crappy roads.

If you really want to know the quality of their wheels, why don't you call them up and ask some questions about the forging processes & materials, the wheel loads they design for, the certifications, etc. Without that, you're relying on anecdotal evidence and whatever the marketing department decides to put on the website.
Thanks but every manufacturer believes they have the best product. I prefer to hear from my fellow guys about paint finish durability, fit and finish. I am anti rubber band tires and would be running 18s for more "go than show" and looking at the forged line.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Appreciate 2
slicer2737.50
LatifE90265.00
      02-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Rotiform is very popular for the stance crowd with stretched tires and airbagged cars... I see them at car meets but have never seen one at a track or do any kind of performance driving. Durability under harsh conditions is questionable for me.

I also find their wheels very ugly. Definitely a no go for me.
      02-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Rotiform is very popular for the stance crowd with stretched tires and airbagged cars... I see them at car meets but have never seen one at a track or do any kind of performance driving. Durability under harsh conditions is questionable for me.

Almost exactly what i was going to post.
      02-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Quote:

Almost exactly what i was going to post.
Thanks. Just curious do both of you think this wheel is ugly?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:14 PM   #7
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

I don't believe Rotiform is owned by Brian and Jason anymore? I think MHT owns them? I've heard comments that their cast cheaper line suffers from finish issues/quality, but have yet to see any of their multi-piece wheels have issues. It could be because naturally these nicer wheels don't see rain or harsh weather like the cast line might?

that being said, my wheel builder finished my wheels using the same vendor that rotiform uses. my wheels look amazing.
      02-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
I don't believe Rotiform is owned by Brian and Jason anymore? I think MHT owns them? I've heard comments that their cast cheaper line suffers from finish issues/quality, but have yet to see any of their multi-piece wheels have issues. It could be because naturally these nicer wheels don't see rain or harsh weather like the cast line might?

that being said, my wheel builder finished my wheels using the same vendor that rotiform uses. my wheels look amazing.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I don't think it looks good. The design is a kind of copy of a old BBS mesh design but uglier. It's a modern design with very retro styling. The matte finish is too show-y and will be pain in the ass to clean. Definitely more of a street wheel than a performance wheel.

When I think of good looking wheels, I think BBS FI, Volk Racing TE37s, even things like APEX track wheels. Lots of OEM designs are very good as well such as the OEM E9x M3 competition wheels.
      02-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post

*Our wheel builder Mark, who actually used to work for MHT...haha

But yes, that's correct...MHT owns Rotiform now.

OP: Like others have stated, they're big in the stance community as well as the VW/Audi group. The previous owner Brian was and still is very active in that community, so it makes perfect sense. All that matters is that if you like the look, then go for it...I would just opt to get one of their forged wheels opposed to their cast variants to be safe.
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 1
shimmy232350.00
      02-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think it looks good. The design is a kind of copy of a old BBS mesh design but uglier. It's a modern design with very retro styling. The matte finish is too show-y and will be pain in the ass to clean. Definitely more of a street wheel than a performance wheel.

When I think of good looking wheels, I think BBS FI, Volk Racing TE37s, even things like APEX track wheels. Lots of OEM designs are very good as well.
Yes I like the FI too but no longer available and only in 19. The RÍA only in 9.5 and 10.5. The BBS LM only in 19. Apex EC7 nice but like the retro look. It's really hard to find 18s with correct width and offsets. Apex only one. Don't want ET22. Only custom is way to get correct 18x9 ET31 and 18x10 ET25. Anyway I also don't like the color in the picture. I would want hyper silver and maybe with slight darker mesh. Anyway. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #12
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post

Quote:
Thanks but every manufacturer believes they have the best product. I prefer to hear from my fellow guys about paint finish durability, fit and finish. I am anti rubber band tires and would be running 18s for more "go than show" and looking at the forged line.

See above what deparm mentioned. The information he suggests you ask for are facts rather than subjectivity and will reveal the truth about a wheel/company. Many wheel companies these days like to throw around words like "forged" for example, but when you dig deeper into the details like actual crush testing and certifications, it ends up being all smoke and mirrors and marketing mumbo jumbo.
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #13
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Yes I like the FI too but no longer available and only in 19. The RÍA only in 9.5 and 10.5. The BBS LM only in 19. Apex EC7 nice but like the retro look. It's really hard to find 18s with correct width and offsets. Apex only one. Don't want ET22. Only custom is way to get correct 18x9 ET31 and 18x10 ET25. Anyway I also don't like the color in the picture. I would want hyper silver and maybe with slight darker mesh. Anyway. Thank you.
BBS E88 is available in custom widths and offsets. Are you looking for wheels for your 1M?

You missed my special run of BBS RIA in 10 et25... That might have worked for you if you were willing to run a wider front wheel.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #14
slicer
Major General
Rep

My experience with Rotiform was via two separate friends that ordered them. Both showed up in the wrong spec and didn't fit. They had to send back and wait another 4+ weeks (that's in addition to the months they waited in the first place). Finally got what they ordered. I agree with others - I would not trust them for track use.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #15
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

these are specialty/show wheels and not for track use.
      02-23-2019, 08:41 PM   #16
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

Correct, which is why I said you should call them and actually ask some detailed questions about how the wheels are designed, tested, and the certifications they have.
      03-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #17
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, '17 Macan GTS

I've had my ugly wheels for a few years now

Still going strong.

03-02-2019, 11:17 PM   #18
Beas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
these are specialty/show wheels and not for track use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I would not trust them for track use.
You guys are saying this stuff with absolutely zero data or reasoning. Matt field has been running rotiform for a couple years on 1000HP+ drift car. banging into walls and other cars.

rotiform has a ton of unique designs. if you love a certain style, get it.
      03-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #19
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beas View Post
You guys are saying this stuff with absolutely zero data or reasoning. Matt field has been running rotiform for a couple years on 1000HP+ drift car. banging into walls and other cars.

rotiform has a ton of unique designs. if you love a certain style, get it.
Matt Field has talent and I don't want to take anything away from him. However, Rotiform is owned by MHT who manufactures Dub, Foose, Niche, etc. This is a company that focuses on street wheels with unique style. Please go on the MHT web site and let me know what about their product offerings says track and race worthy to you. Not a company focused on professional racing / motorsports. I don't think our statements are controversial considering this fact. Building a race worthy wheel is not their goal or focus. I would bet that if you called MHT they would admit that. Compare that to a wheel made by a company like BBS or Volk who has been building wheels for every level of motorsports for decades. Walk around a professional race paddock and see who makes the wheels they are using. So yes, there is some logic and reasoning behind my statement.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      03-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #20
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thank you all for your insights. Didn't mean to start a war. I actually never mentioned racing, a poster brought up racing. While I like racing wheels for their strenght, many of the nice ones don't have center caps, have ugly center caps and come in offsets I don't want to run on hte street. 18x9.5 ET22. So started looking past the usual BBS, Rays, Advan, etc.

Sadly, I was impressed by the Titan7 TS-5 but it only comes in 19x9.5 ET22 again. BBS RIAs also and not sure of the look either. BBS actually makes few 18s! So that leaves Rays and Advan but few that work. Enkei has some nice ones but same offsets or only 8.5" wide fronts and 9.5" wide rears. Don't want to go with a thinner wheel.

Anyway, peace to all and thank you for your responses again. I will keep looking. There has to be something out there.
Appreciate 1
slicer2737.50
      03-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #21
Beas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Skyline

Quote:
Matt Field has talent and I don't want to take anything away from him. However, Rotiform is owned by MHT who manufactures Dub, Foose, Niche, etc. This is a company that focuses on street wheels with unique style. Please go on the MHT web site and let me know what about their product offerings says track and race worthy to you. Not a company focused on professional racing / motorsports. I don't think our statements are controversial considering this fact. Building a race worthy wheel is not their goal or focus. I would bet that if you called MHT they would admit that. Compare that to a wheel made by a company like BBS or Volk who has been building wheels for every level of motorsports for decades. Walk around a professional race paddock and see who makes the wheels they are using. So yes, there is some logic and reasoning behind my statement.
ok, that has nothing to do with not trusting them at the track. you cant say a wheel is bad for the track because the company makes a lot of stylish wheels.
      03-05-2019, 12:35 AM   #22
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beas View Post
Quote:
ok, that has nothing to do with not trusting them at the track. you cant say a wheel is bad for the track because the company makes a lot of stylish wheels.
You are missing my point. I'm saying they aren't good for the track because they don't make wheels designed for....... The TRACK
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0