BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-13-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
Space Fox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 Space Grey e92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Leather Wrinkle and Scuff Questions

I'm relatively new to the detailing/leather care game but had a few questions I'm hoping you professionals can help me with regarding interior leather care/maintenance.

1. My front driver seat is beginning to show some wrinkling as seen in the pictures below. I do my best to care for the seats - I use Chemical Guys leather cleaner/conditioner pretty regularly and the car is always garage kept yet these wrinkles persist and seem to be getting worse. Is there a product out there that tightens the leather back up and repairs these wrinkles or is it something I will just need to live with? If the later, what is the best way to prevent the further development of these wrinkles?

2. More difficult to tell but there is a line of what appear to be scuff marks along the leather covering of the center console closest to the e-brake courtesy of previous owner. They will not come out with leather conditioner/cleaner - kind of same question as the seat wrinkles, is there a way to buff out, color, or remove these 'scuff' marks?

Thank you for any help! Just trying to dial things in the best I can.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Brant, U'd say your seats looks quite good from a wrinkle stand point, they can be much worse as our Novillo leather tend to easily stretch. In my mind key is to keep them clean, no harm with some conditioner on top but again clean first.
The wrinkles can come out to some extend with warm damp clothes on them for a short moment. Will make the leather to shrink a bit, but believe it will extend quite soon again.

Edit: and of course - no armbows in the seat while working the interior! No shit in your backpockets either. Way to live with that delicate Novillo...😎
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #3
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

The seats don't look bad but they do appear to have some excess oil built up. The creases will be best sorted by moisturizing the leather to make it a little more supple.

CG leather conditioner is crap. I used to use it some time ago and realized that it didn't work well at all. I would suggest to use a quality cleaner to remove the unwanted oils from the seats and then condition them to restore a more natural and supple matte finish.

I've had great results using Colourlock's products and treatment path. The basic cleaning and conditioning kit would be a great place to start.

https://www.colourlock.com/all-diy-p...-care-kit.html

As far as your 2nd question, you don't really buff leather out. It's an animal skin - you would need to sand the area down to get a uniform/leveled finish, dye the area to match, and seal/protect the area. This would be a good place to have an expert step in or buy a replacement console piece to defray costs.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Recently saw a video of Swissvax leather cleaner doing magic on a Fox Red interior.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
Space Fox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 Space Grey e92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Brant, U'd say your seats looks quite good from a wrinkle stand point, they can be much worse as our Novillo leather tend to easily stretch. In my mind key is to keep them clean, no harm with some conditioner on top but again clean first.
The wrinkles can come out to some extend with warm damp clothes on them for a short moment. Will make the leather to shrink a bit, but believe it will extend quite soon again.

Edit: and of course - no armbows in the seat while working the interior! No shit in your backpockets either. Way to live with that delicate Novillo...😎
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWEraser View Post
The seats don't look bad but they do appear to have some excess oil built up. The creases will be best sorted by moisturizing the leather to make it a little more supple.

CG leather conditioner is crap. I used to use it some time ago and realized that it didn't work well at all. I would suggest to use a quality cleaner to remove the unwanted oils from the seats and then condition them to restore a more natural and supple matte finish.

I've had great results using Colourlock's products and treatment path. The basic cleaning and conditioning kit would be a great place to start.

https://www.colourlock.com/all-diy-p...-care-kit.html

As far as your 2nd question, you don't really buff leather out. It's an animal skin - you would need to sand the area down to get a uniform/leveled finish, dye the area to match, and seal/protect the area. This would be a good place to have an expert step in or buy a replacement console piece to defray costs.
Thank you both for the thoughtful feedback. I will start with the Colourlock kit and see if I get some better results. I know it's not bad but I want to try and catch it before it gets worse.
And ugh now thinking when I replaced my center chrome iDrive ring my elbows spent a lot of time on those seats!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Swissvax is $$ but this video might be of interest to you:

Appreciate 2
Space Fox1042.00
Evo1382.00