BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT

Nail in tire

So my tire pressure sensor indicated that the pressure was low on the driver's side rear tire. I found a nail in it.

I have Michelin Pilot Sport Ps2 for my 19" 220's.

For those who have been in this situation, can a nail in the tread be repaired or must the tire be replaced? Dealer service adviser said he thinks due to their high performance nature, he does not believe it can be plugged, but will check with his shop foreman. Is this true?

For those who replaced the tire, does the opposite tire need to be replaced as well? I inferred it needed to be, but the service adviser said not necessarily.

I was looking at the Michelin Pilot A/S3 plus (high performance all season) tires if I had to replace both rears, but my dealer's service manager said that all 4 tires should be the same tire model. Is this true?

Worse comes to worse, I would want the bmw dealer to plug it temporarily so that I can get my car to a local shop which charges less for tires and I can get a roadside insurance for the tire.
Attached Images

08-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 LeMans Blue

Depending on puncture size this can be repaired. Sidewall punctures is what can't be fixed. I wouldn't worry too much about replacing only one unless the other tire is worn. Yes, if you go with the AS3 you should do all four corners.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

That's repairable IMO. Take it to a tire shop and ask. It's in the interest of the dealer to sell you two overpriced tires.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 LeMans Blue

Double post.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 01:37 AM   #5
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Repair but only use for daily driving or road trips, not track days or high performance driving
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2017, 06:02 AM   #6
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Find a shop that will do both a plug and patch repair. I've had it done several times over the years and never had one fail. Worst example was running over a nail exactly one week after getting new rubber. Plug/patch repair lasted the life of the tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthuziast View Post
So my tire pressure sensor indicated that the pressure was low on the driver's side rear tire. I found a nail in it.

For those who have been in this situation, can a nail in the tread be repaired or must the tire be replaced? Dealer service adviser said he thinks due to their high performance nature, he does not believe it can be plugged, but will check with his shop foreman. Is this true?

For those who replaced the tire, does the opposite tire need to be replaced as well? I inferred it needed to be, but the service adviser said not necessarily.

I was looking at the Michelin Pilot A/S3 plus (high performance all season) tires if I had to replace both rears, but my dealer's service manager said that all 4 tires should be the same tire model. Is this true?

Worse comes to worse, I would want the bmw dealer to plug it temporarily so that I can get my car to a local shop which charges less for tires and I can get a roadside insurance for the tire.
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Dealer is telling me that the nail came in at an angle where the plug will not work. Says I need a new tire.

For those who have been in the same situation, did you have the other tire replaced as well? Dealer tells me only one tire needs to be replaced. I call my local shop and they said if I only replace one tire, then the vehicle may pull to one side.

Also, has anyone used the compressor and juice that comes with the car? Is the tire pressure sensor shot after use?
      08-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #8
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Plug and patch and you will be fine. I have driven thousands of miles on plugged tires, if done properly there is no need to buy tires,
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

Nails can usually be repaired as long as they are not too close to the sidewall (or actually in it). Any reputable tire shop can do it. Just make sure they don't use plugs. The proper way is to patch from the inside. I literally just asked about this at Tire Rack's warehouse this past weekend.

If the tire must be replaced, you need to make sure the other tire on the axle doesn't have a huge difference in tread depth. Some places can actually shave the new tire down to match the other tire's depth, but I always thought that was stupid because you are "wasting" a brand new tire. The smarter choice would be to just replace the other tire on the same axle.

I would not recommend putting tires with very different levels of grip on the car (in your case, mixing the A/S3+ and the PS2). If you have an excess of grip at one axle, the handling will be way off and this could be dangerous in evasive maneuvers or in inclement weather.

Last edited by dparm; 08-22-2017 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #10
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post
Plug and patch and you will be fine. I have driven thousands of miles on plugged tires, if done properly there is no need to buy tires,
Crazy. The dealer said his patch won't work on an angled puncture through the tread. Only if the nail came in at 90 degrees to the tread. I'm not sure he'd be willing to attempt to patch it even if I paid him to.

Therefore, I think I have 3 or 4 options

1) Pay the dealer for 2 new tires and keep the opposite good/worn tire.
2) Pressurize the punctured tire and drive about 3-4 miles to my tire guy whereby I buy two tires at lower price and also the road hazard warranty which the dealer does not offer. Keep the good/worn tire.
3) Ask the dealer if he can remove the blown tire and I take that wheel to my tire guy to replace the tire and then bring back to the dealer for them to get the wheel back onto my car. (does this sound far fetched that the dealer would help let me do this?)
4) Have the dealer replace the bad tire and then go to my tire guy and have him replace the other worn tire.

Basically this is the cost for a 19" 265/35 Pilot Sport PS2:

Dealer: $360 + tax and shop fees (no road hazard offered)
Costco: $289 + $15 install which includes 5 year road hazard warranty
My tire guy: Hasn't gotten back to me yet, but probably can match costco but not time estimate yet to get tires
      08-22-2017, 08:54 PM   #11
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Nails can usually be repaired as long as they are not too close to the sidewall (or actually in it). Any reputable tire shop can do it. Just make sure they don't use plugs. The proper way is to patch from both sides. I literally just asked about this at Tire Rack's warehouse this past weekend.

If the tire must be replaced, you need to make sure the other tire on the axle doesn't have a huge difference in tread depth. Some places can actually shave the new tire down to match the other tire's depth, but I always thought that was stupid because you are "wasting" a brand new tire. The smarter choice would be to just replace the other tire on the same axle.

I would not recommend putting tires with very different levels of grip on the car (in your case, mixing the A/S3+ and the PS2). If you have an excess of grip at one axle, the handling will be way off and this could be dangerous in evasive maneuvers or in inclement weather.
How is it possible to patch a tire on the tread side?
      08-22-2017, 11:37 PM   #12
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How is it possible to patch a tire on the tread side?
Sorry, typed without proofreading -- what I meant was patch from the inside. Edited.
      08-22-2017, 11:38 PM   #13
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Crazy. The dealer said his patch won't work on an angled puncture through the tread. Only if the nail came in at 90 degrees to the tread. I'm not sure he'd be willing to attempt to patch it even if I paid him to.

Why don't you just go to Discount Tire and get a second opinion?
JsL447.50
      08-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #14
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Why don't you just go to Discount Tire and get a second opinion?
I may do that, but I would also have to drive the car from the dealer to the shop with a nail in the tire and I would have to park my beast probably for several days on their street until they get a 265/35 Michelin sport Ps2 into their shop.

I'm waiting on my shop to let me know when they can get their hands on a tire. My biggest gripe is that the dealer doesn't offer road hazard which is why I don't want to get it from them.
      08-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #15
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I may do that, but I would also have to drive the car from the dealer to the shop with a nail in the tire and I would have to park my beast probably for several days on their street until they get a 265/35 Michelin sport Ps2 into their shop.

I'm waiting on my shop to let me know when they can get their hands on a tire. My biggest gripe is that the dealer doesn't offer road hazard which is why I don't want to get it from them.
Can you just dismount the wheel/tire and take it to DT some other way?
      08-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #16
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Just patch it...been there done that so many times.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #17
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

I'm going to try to get the car to my tire shop tonight. The pressure was at 22.5 lbs when it should have been 38 psi when the car alerted me when I tried to drive it.

I'm going to pressurize the tire up to 38 psi and see how that goes and drive about 4 miles late at night.

My tire guy will have the tires there on Friday, but will see if he can patch the flat first.

Anyone see any issues with pressurizing the tire and trying to drive the car 4 miles?
      08-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #18
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Can you just dismount the wheel/tire and take it to DT some other way?
My car is at the dealer right now. I doubt if they're going to let me/help me remove a wheel, and leave the rest of the car in the parking lot or in their service bay, and then bring it back and reinstall.
      08-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #19
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Quote:
I'm going to try to get the car to my tire shop tonight. The pressure was at 22.5 lbs when it should have been 38 psi when the car alerted me when I tried to drive it.

I'm going to pressurize the tire up to 38 psi and see how that goes and drive about 4 miles late at night.

My tire guy will have the tires there on Friday, but will see if he can patch the flat first.

Anyone see any issues with pressurizing the tire and trying to drive the car 4 miles?
As a note, I got a nail in my rear tire about a month ago, and it was slowly losing pressure. Found it during lunch, and it was losing about 1 psi per hour. Pumped it up to 32 psi, and drove it to the discount tire a few miles away. They patched it for free, and it's all good now.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #20
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike360 View Post
As a note, I got a nail in my rear tire about a month ago, and it was slowly losing pressure. Found it during lunch, and it was losing about 1 psi per hour. Pumped it up to 32 psi, and drove it to the discount tire a few miles away. They patched it for free, and it's all good now.
Ah, ok...so you pumped it up to only 32 psi while the normal pressure is 38 psi? Was there a reason why you only went to 32 psi?
      08-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #21
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Quote:
Ah, ok...so you pumped it up to only 32 psi while the normal pressure is 38 psi? Was there a reason why you only went to 32 psi?
I like to play with the pressures for autocross, think I was running like 34 or 36 psi at the time in the rear. It was a slow process to pump it with the air compressor in the car, and I just wanted to get reasonable pressure in there for the drive across town. The tpms light actually turned off during the drive, and didn't come back on. So it seemed like it was enough for the 4.5 mile drive from work.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #22
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:

As long as it doesn't get critically-low on air pressure, I would just keep your speed down and avoid any sudden steering inputs.