BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

06-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #45
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
Yes. It needs to have a four point jack, like the one on the headphones that come with the phone (or, an adaptor). I just use the mic in the headphones. Google "iPhone microphone"
Sorry if this is naive, I thought the headphone jack on the iphone was just for audio-out, but it can also be for audio-in?

I have an ext mic w/ 10ft cord, so if I just plug it in the jack and thread it somewhere like the trunk I can get exhaust note instead of that irritating wind noise on my videos? Will the internal mic still be active also?

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #46
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
Sorry if this is naive, I thought the headphone jack on the iphone was just for audio-out, but it can also be for audio-in?
The headset that comes with iPhone can be used for handsfree talking. You need to find the right type of headset that has a mic in it. It should work. Or just use the headset that comes with your phone.
      06-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #47
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Quote:
I have an ext mic w/ 10ft cord, so if I just plug it in the jack
Why not try it out - take a video and talk into your mike (away from the phone) and see if it understandable in the video.

As an aside, my iphone 4S has ear plugs, but I do not see a mic. Am I missing something?
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #48
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Why not try it out - take a video and talk into your mike (away from the phone) and see if it understandable in the video.

As an aside, my iphone 4S has ear plugs, but I do not see a mic. Am I missing something?
vz
Am I the only one who uses the iphone headset during phone calls?

I believe the mic is on the volume adjusting thing on the headset cable. See the little metal circle?

06-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #49
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

I do. I will try it out with the video. Thanks.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #50
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Yep just tried it. It works, but the head set has to be removed from the phone when play back in order to hear what noise was entered into the mike. Cool
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #51
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Yep just tried it. It works, but the head set has to be removed from the phone when play back in order to hear what noise was entered into the mike. Cool
vz

06-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #52
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
I love how harry's can post directly to youtube after it overlays - it makes all that so easy... I start the process after a track day on the way home. By the time I get home the video with overlay is already uploaded!

I've also got the ipad trainer version - mainly so I can watch other guys out on the track. Harry - I hope you develop that further so it can so more data... like speeds on the straights and corners, max, average etc.

I follow his forum frequently here http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/sea...ch_id=newposts
How do you post directly to Youtube? Assume my overlay(s) has been accomplished, and the video with data is in my Camera Roll. Now what?
Thanks
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #53
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
How do you post directly to Youtube? Assume my overlay(s) has been accomplished, and the video with data is in my Camera Roll. Now what?
Thanks
vz
With the video front page in you camera photo roll...

Touch the screen => touch the box with the arrow in the right corner and you will get the option to post to YouTube. If this doesn't work, take your cool driving gloves off and try again...
      06-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #54
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Those cool driving gloves almost worked this past week end - with stock brake pads on both front wheels, I ran a 2:19 and used very delicate braking particularly at the top of the roller coaster and turn one. I need a change of clothing afterwards, not gloves.

Thanks for the info on posting on youtube. I will try it after my next event - Chin at VIR. Can you come down?

Best, vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #55
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

I've been using this not as video but just a lap timer. It's kept in my center armrest while on track and seems this makes it rather inaccurate. As I compare my videos against the timing it's off, sometimes by as much as 2-3 seconds or even more. Is it's accuracy affected that much by its placement in the car? Only used it a handful of times, but seems off. Even have same exact lap times but am off on avg. speed in those by sometimes as much as 9 mph. Will grabbing the cradle, gps helper, improve things that much?
      06-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #56
sleepless
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

The iPhone's GPS module is mostly useless for motorsports. It needs to be on the dash with a good line of sight to the GPS satellites to have a prayer of being even modestly useful. So, yeah, keeping it in the cubby will not work and yes, a good external GPS module is pretty much a requirement once you get past novice/intermediate driving speeds.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #57
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

i hope iphone 5 will have much better gps reception.

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #58
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless
The iPhone's GPS module is mostly useless for motorsports. It needs to be on the dash with a good line of sight to the GPS satellites to have a prayer of being even modestly useful. So, yeah, keeping it in the cubby will not work and yes, a good external GPS module is pretty much a requirement once you get past novice/intermediate driving speeds.
Thanks dude... Was really throwing me off... Every lap was a 2:53/54 lap for me on the Harry's, but the one lap I timed on video had me at 2:50 so was like WTF... This clears things up and looks like a simple fix
      06-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #59
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
I've been using this not as video but just a lap timer. It's kept in my center armrest while on track and seems this makes it rather inaccurate. As I compare my videos against the timing it's off, sometimes by as much as 2-3 seconds or even more. Is it's accuracy affected that much by its placement in the car? Only used it a handful of times, but seems off. Even have same exact lap times but am off on avg. speed in those by sometimes as much as 9 mph. Will grabbing the cradle, gps helper, improve things that much?
Mine was within a tenth of a second 95+% of the time (compared to official timing) when stashed in my glovebox. Therefore clear line of sight to GPS satellites is not required. This is with an iPhone 4s.

However, I take anything outside of the lap times with a grain of salt (e.g., mid-corner speed, etc.).
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #60
TX335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Is anyone using HLT for video recording as well? If so, how would you compare the quality to a GoPro?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #61
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX335 View Post
Is anyone using HLT for video recording as well? If so, how would you compare the quality to a GoPro?
see post #4 in this one: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694919

I only have an old GoPro. My in-car camera is a contour. The iPhone has less fisheye than Go Pro

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695964
      06-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #62
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX335 View Post
Seems the newer GoPro 2 is the way to go. I would think smart phones have a loooong way to go before they'll get anywhere close to the same quality as any of the cameras reviewed here.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #63
sleepless
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
Seems the newer GoPro 2 is the way to go. I would think smart phones have a loooong way to go before they'll get anywhere close to the same quality as any of the cameras reviewed here.
The video from an iPhone 4/4S or iPod Touch (gen4) is superb. It may not fully match the GoPro 2 or Contour for all out video quality, but it is way better than good enough, plus, you get data logging with synchronized video. Still a great deal for excellent quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #64
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
I run both a GoPro Hero 2 and HLT recording iPhone 4S video. They each have their strengths and weaknesses depending on what you want to do: (make sure you bump up the resolution on the YouTube videos below)

HLT Pro with iPhone 4S video:

The up-side: The iPhone records a fine movie. The convenience of using HLT to overlay data onto it's own video is awesome. ZERO effort is required to make a nice watchable video with great data info overlaid. (I use the Emprum UltiMate GPS add-on. It makes HLT EXTREMELY accurate. I compare it's times to video and a transponder and it's within 3/100th of a second at the worst.) For instant gratification, nothing beats HLT with it's data plus video overlay. And it looks good enough that you're not feeling lame when you show it to someone. The colors are not as deep as a GoPro, but I bet if someone spent just a little time on color-correction, it would be great.

The down-side: Mounting options are limited in terms of where you want to put an iPhone. I would never put my iPhone outside the car at 150MPH, so your video viewing vantages are limited with just the iPhone. You can't choose field of views with the iPhone---no wide angle options for more field-of-view capture. If HLT crashes---and it does sometimes---you lose video and data. If the iPhone shuts down as a result of overheating because it's sitting in the sun too much----which happens when it sits in a hot window in the sun for long periods, all video and data capturing opportunities are lost. The iPhone 4S rips through battery life like a hungry dinosaur----especially when using an external GPS, HLT and recording video. It's easy to run out of battery if not careful, and then again, data and video are lost (using the micro-USB charging port on the Emprum has been flaky lately in the car…..plugged in but not charging….not sure why). iPhone can only record in 1080p. There's no way to reduce the resolution while recording. This makes for huge files.

Here's HLT Pro recording video on an iPhone 4S at Auto Club Speedway:

GoPro Hero 2:

The up-side: Really sharp video. Different field of views available. I shoot in 720 resolution to keep file sizes manageable. Still looks great. Whereas I don't put my iPhone outside the car, my GoPro LIVES outside the car. And let me tell ya, it gets peppered with all kinds of stuff from the track. I'm already on my second lens cover because the first one was pock-marked and pitted to hell from all the junk flying around. The GoPro's batteries can be replaced quickly if they die with ready-to-go spares. The mounting options are limitless---bumper, roof, any windows or side panels, trunk. My favorite view is suction-cupped to my lower front bumper. (At the bottom, you can see a pic of the GoPro suctioned to my bumper.) if you want to impress someone with your "speed", show them a bumper camera……..windshield camera angles look like you're noodling around going to the supermarket no matter how fast you go (the two videos I'm linking to compare the same lap----one from the GoPro on my bumper, and one from the windshield and the iPhone. Which "looks" faster? The one lower to the ground ALWAYS looks faster. But you probably wouldn't want to put your iPhone down there.) Anyway, you can put the GoPro pretty much anywhere inside or outside the car and it's fine (if you put it too far back inside the car and the car is dark, it does struggle to keep from washing out the outside---no matter what mode you put it in). The GoPro is immune to the sun and heat---never shuts down from that. It's been used on several 100+ degree track days, and it's had no problems. The new WiFi BacPac with Wifi Remote makes starting and stopping videos convenient. It will be cool to see the video streaming app to the iPhone.

Since GoPro makes so many mounts, the GoPro is very useful for other things besides recording car videos. I bought the case for taking sharp, well-focused videos underwater----so awesome!! (The original case is waterproof, but doesn't focus properly underwater.) The video while swimming in a pool or snorkeling is amazing!! And then I have mounts for my bicycle, a head mount, a chest mount……the GoPro is amazingly versatile.

The down-side: If you're only Mac-based, doing a data overlay onto a GoPro video is tough. The programs that do it after-the-fact are all Windows-based. I have Fusion with Windows XP on my Mac, so I bought Dashware. But doing an overlay is a LOT of work. You have to find the lap you want, save it, copy it over to the PC, export the data from that lap to Dashware format, import that to the PC, learn how to use Dashware, I end up making my own gauges because the preset ones never do what I want, then you have to hand-synchronize the data with the video which is completely trial and error. Watching the video is tough because you're not using a native Windows computer, so the emulator chokes on the video which makes it even harder to synchronize the data. Then you have to export it, which takes awhile to render, and then get it back off the pc to the Mac……..sheeesh……HLT makes that a 1-button-click process….And if you want to do it over multiple laps, then you have to hand-synchronize each lap's data……HLT won't simply export just three laps of your choosing together……ugh…..it's not easy.

If you have the new WiFi BacPac, then you have at least THREE batteries you need to manage---the camera battery, the BacPac's battery, and the WiFi Remote's battery…….if you leave one of them on too long and drain it, then you're hosed…….and it's easy to forget to turn off the BacPac……oh, and the WiFi remote uses a bizarre custom charging connector, so you have to make sure you have that stupid little cable with you or, again, you're hosed if it runs out---that battery cannot be replaced with a fresh one. But at least if the GoPro battery dies, you can have fresh spares ready to go.

Here's the GoPro video of the same Auto Club Speedway lap from the front bumper. I didn't bother doing an overlay:

Here's a GoPro video from Big Willow with a simple overlay from Dashware:

Interestingly, (I've never done this) there's a way to have HLT overlay it's data on video that you import to the iPhone, which I guess could simplify things a little bit, but it would still be a bunch of steps. At least you wouldn't have to bother with a pc and a whole new app.

Below is where I usually put my GoPro on my bumper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #65
TX335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Great post dogbone. Thanks for all the info.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #66
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I would love to pick up the Emprum GPS add-on but the news is confirming that the next iphone will have a different plug. So unless there is a plug adapter, it will not work with the next iphone. Same goes with any iphone accessory.
Appreciate 0