BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

06-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Forsaken
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Can't access playlists on USB drive

I have a Lacie 60gb little disk plugged into the USB slot, and it only allows me to browse the directories. I see the options to sort by playlist, artist, album, genre, but it won't let me select them. Any idea what might be the issue?

Also, is there anyway for me to have it random or shuffle songs in different directories? Right now it seems that I can only have it randomize songs in a single directory.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
mattwhite
Private
Rep
Drives: M4, MP4-12C

+1 here - posted about this problem several weeks ago and got no response. I'm guessing the answer is you can't do it, even though I thought that iDrive supports m3u playlists.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92; MG TF 160; C2 VTS

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
iDrive does support .m3u playlists, but they may take a while to appear if you have alot of tracks on your disk, as iDrive needs to index the files on the disk before a playlist will work. I've found a delay in playlists appearing each time I have unplugged the drive and added tracks to it, particularly now there is over 30gig of data on the disk. The delay is of the order of 1 to 2 hours of driving.
      06-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
mattwhite
Private
Rep
Drives: M4, MP4-12C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriFix View Post
iDrive does support .m3u playlists, but they may take a while to appear if you have alot of tracks on your disk, as iDrive needs to index the files on the disk before a playlist will work. I've found a delay in playlists appearing each time I have unplugged the drive and added tracks to it, particularly now there is over 30gig of data on the disk. The delay is of the order of 1 to 2 hours of driving.
Thanks for this response - I had no idea that it could take 1-2 hours to see the playlists. That pretty much makes a large usb drive worthless to me, as I would want to update once a week and usually don't drive more than 2 hours in a week. I'll keep using the iPod. I honestly can't tell the difference in the sound fidelity anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Forsaken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriFix View Post
You were right, playlists started working today. Looks like it takes a few hours of driving to load everything. Going to be kind of annoying when I add albums.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken View Post
You were right, playlists started working today. Looks like it takes a few hours of driving to load everything. Going to be kind of annoying when I add albums.
That sucks..I had no clue about that. I'm assuming that it is 1-2 hours cumulative driving, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Forsaken
Private
Rep

It was actually around 3-4 hours.
Appreciate 0