BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

09-25-2021, 03:50 PM   #1
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

How to install OEM wireless charger from BMW.

I made a video and thought it might help the community. Besides the charging, it also provides a noticeable signal boost, using the existing shark fin antenna.
Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxweuQCxvBU
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #2
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
I have had one in my E92 M3 for 6 years, the down side is that I am stuck with the same phone forever.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #3
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

I have the same setup. Added it earlier this year. The wireless charging shelf provides no signal boost- only charging. It's QI charging and nothing else.

Other snapin adapters do give a signal boost, but they actually connect to the phone. The wireless charging shelf does not. I don't know if you noticed the unused connection on the car side of the harness, but I'm fairly certain that is for the antenna. The wireless charging shelf has no cable to connect there, as it is power only.

That being said its a great option for wireless charging in this car, and despite it being 10 years old, it still works with most modern phones. I actually just got my iphone 13 pro on Friday, and it still fits in there.

The only drawback I'll say is the charging rate is pretty slow. Makes sense considering its 10 years old, QI charging rates weren't nearly as fast back then. It makes me wonder if its possible to modify the shelf for faster charging.

I'm halfway wondering once I get my mr12volt carplay box in, if the wireless charging shelf will be able to charge faster than the rate that running wireless carplay will drain it. We'll see!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
zmedak5
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Hi, is this original Bmw pn or other?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 04:10 PM   #5
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
I have the same setup. Added it earlier this year. The wireless charging shelf provides no signal boost- only charging. It's QI charging and nothing else.

Other snapin adapters do give a signal boost, but they actually connect to the phone. The wireless charging shelf does not. I don't know if you noticed the unused connection on the car side of the harness, but I'm fairly certain that is for the antenna. The wireless charging shelf has no cable to connect there, as it is power only.

That being said its a great option for wireless charging in this car, and despite it being 10 years old, it still works with most modern phones. I actually just got my iphone 13 pro on Friday, and it still fits in there.

The only drawback I'll say is the charging rate is pretty slow. Makes sense considering its 10 years old, QI charging rates weren't nearly as fast back then. It makes me wonder if its possible to modify the shelf for faster charging.

I'm halfway wondering once I get my mr12volt carplay box in, if the wireless charging shelf will be able to charge faster than the rate that running wireless carplay will drain it. We'll see!
Mine gives a signal boost, I put a YouTube video about it. Just search YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:00 PM   #6
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
Whatever you are seeing isn't related to the sharkfin. The wireless charging shelf is just a Qi charger, nothing more. Wirelessly extending the phones antenna isn't a thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 12:33 AM   #7
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Whatever you are seeing isn't related to the sharkfin. The wireless charging shelf is just a Qi charger, nothing more. Wirelessly extending the phones antenna isn't a thing.
Mine came with fakra cables that connnect to shark fin. Maybe yours is different.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 09:53 AM   #8
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Mine came with fakra cables that connnect to shark fin. Maybe yours is different.
The big clue here should be that the blue cable in your previous snapin adapter was not used with the wireless charging shelf. Why do you think that is?

Again- how exactly is the phone wirelessly connecting to the sharkfin? Can you give some details about the technology being used to accomplish this?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 07:16 PM   #9
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The big clue here should be that the blue cable in your previous snapin adapter was not used with the wireless charging shelf. Why do you think that is?

Again- how exactly is the phone wirelessly connecting to the sharkfin? Can you give some details about the technology being used to accomplish this?
Yes it was. Research the older iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 snap in adapters and you'll see that BMW advertised PASSIVE antenna boosting. They tune the metal baseplate of the "cradle" (in this case qi charging mat) to resonate LTE frequencies. It's basic Grade 11 and Grade 12 physics with wave resonance. Think making an antenna out of Pringles boxes.

Here's more information:

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...77&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 10:36 PM   #10
drwankel
Major
Rep

Well, I am indeed wrong here.

The wireless cradle actually does connect to the sharkfin. Every bit of text I had read prior to tonight said it was a charging only affair. However, I translated the German installation manual- and low and behold it does improve reception:

"8. Customer information on wireless charging storage

Principle

The Wireless Charging cabinet allows the following functions:
– Accommodation of the mobile phone
– Charging the battery of a compatible mobile phone
– Connection of the mobile phone to the outdoor antenna.
Depending on the country, this ensures better network reception and consistent playback quality."

I'll admit when I am wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.
Appreciate 1