BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

12-05-2021, 01:45 AM   #1
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

What combo would you take?

I'm in love with the Emira. It is the car that I would have made if given my own preferences and they actually made it. It's only shortcoming is that the engine isn't special, but it is plenty to get the job done and sounds great (no s65).

We are a non-flexing type of family and my wife thinks that an M3 and Emira is too showy. We can afford it. I think it can get away with picking up an s2000 which is a bad deal right now with prices but another car that I think is special in its own right.

Never planned on selling the M3, but considering selling the M3 to get the Emira. I think the Emira will be popular and hard to get- even after the first edition.

Would you guys go for an M3 + s2000, maybe get the Emira some years later or sell the M3 and get an Emira now? Can always pickup another M3 later even though the one I have right now is perfect. Red, comp, manual, m performance exhaust, it's perfect…
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #2
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

I am #1 at my dealer for the first edition and I'm on my 2nd M3. With that said I have test driven the fvck out of the Evora GT and I can tell you both the S2000 and e92 m3 (With any mod) will not be nearly as exciting as the Evora Gt and subsequently the Emira. Honestly after driving it I threw out the idea of a track car M3 because I realize how stupid it is. The Lotus is that much better in every respect. Yes it doesn't have an S65 but I can tell you the only thing you will miss is the high redline. I'm keeping my M3 because I just put a lot into it but when the Emira comes I'll be evaluating the E9x market. I planned on keeping the M3 but after seeing the Emira in person I kinda don't think it's worth it. Now if you didn't pre-order this convo is kinda moot because it will be at least 16-24 months until you can get one. Also this is your hobby not your wife's and unless she's contributing to the cost it's sad she isn't more supportive of your dreams. But like I said as far as visceral fun neither will compare so it comes down to what you appreciate about each vehicle and how well it fits your driving style and the roads you have to drive on. Good news is that your M3 will appreciate in value until you make your decision.
Appreciate 2
imserious412.00
Bucki14143.50
      12-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
I'd get an Emira GT4. But that puts you roughly in Z4 GT3 territory and I'd probably rather have that.

I wouldn't shit on M3 as a track car entirely, because a huge part of aggressive track experience is platform reliability, part accessibility, engine / maintenance access, and power

That said the Emira looks fantastic! I'd sell the M3 in a heartbeat if it weren't just an opportunity to spend more money… I'm already deep into this money pit and just digging down further.
      12-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I'd get an Emira GT4. But that puts you roughly in Z4 GT3 territory and I'd probably rather have that.

I wouldn't shit on M3 as a track car entirely, because a huge part of aggressive track experience is platform reliability, part accessibility, engine / maintenance access, and power

That said the Emira looks fantastic! I'd sell the M3 in a heartbeat if it weren't just an opportunity to spend more money… I'm already deep into this money pit and just digging down further.
The GT4 isn't road legal unfortunately. And the Evora/Emira has literally the most reliable engine on earth. 2gr-fe. Where it falls short is dumb electrical issues that are equally matched by the M division lol. Oh yeah and a transmission that takes about 6 hours to access lol (This should be different on the Emira). Still though it's so much lighter than the e9x, and cheaper to run than a Cayman. That alone says a lot

This isn't supercharged but it's 26xx Lbs, over 300 to the wheels and a purpose built car for the price that a high mileage e92 is going for. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2010-lotus-evora-11/

Last edited by nycplumber; 12-13-2021 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 09:29 PM   #5
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post

The GT4 isn't road legal unfortunately. And the Evora/Emira has literally the most reliable engine on earth. 2gr-fe. Where it falls short is dumb electrical issues that are equally matched by the M division lol. Oh yeah and a transmission that takes about 6 hours to access lol (This should be different on the Emira). Still though it's so much lighter than the e9x, and cheaper to run than a Cayman. That alone says a lot

This isn't supercharged but it's 26xx Lbs, over 300 to the wheels and a purpose built car for the price that a high mileage e92 is going for. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2010-lotus-evora-11/
Yes, not super worried about the road legal part. Obviously Z4 GT3 isn't either.

That Evora looks cool! Incredible buy vs building from scratch.
      12-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #6
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
I am #1 at my dealer for the first edition and I'm on my 2nd M3. With that said I have test driven the fvck out of the Evora GT and I can tell you both the S2000 and e92 m3 (With any mod) will not be nearly as exciting as the Evora Gt and subsequently the Emira. Honestly after driving it I threw out the idea of a track car M3 because I realize how stupid it is. The Lotus is that much better in every respect. Yes it doesn't have an S65 but I can tell you the only thing you will miss is the high redline. I'm keeping my M3 because I just put a lot into it but when the Emira comes I'll be evaluating the E9x market. I planned on keeping the M3 but after seeing the Emira in person I kinda don't think it's worth it. Now if you didn't pre-order this convo is kinda moot because it will be at least 16-24 months until you can get one. Also this is your hobby not your wife's and unless she's contributing to the cost it's sad she isn't more supportive of your dreams. But like I said as far as visceral fun neither will compare so it comes down to what you appreciate about each vehicle and how well it fits your driving style and the roads you have to drive on. Good news is that your M3 will appreciate in value until you make your decision.
Appreciate your experience. I don't need a track car- this is for fun. I thin the magic of the m3 platform is daily driving duties and taking it to the track in nearby stock form. A dedicated m3 track car does t really make sense unless you are deep into the hobby. A sub 3000 lb m3 with suspension mods will give any GT3 a run for its money. That said, I don't really need the m3 as a daily since my wife has a Macau turbo which is the perfect daily IMO.

But I don't think I can sell the m3 though. Every time I see someone rave about the gt3, I think the m3 creates as much emotion past 8k for a fraction of the cost. As someone who appreciates NA motors, the s65 is peak.

I'm stuck. I think I need to pre-order the emira (if any slots are available) and then decide after test driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #7
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
Appreciate your experience. I don't need a track car- this is for fun. I thin the magic of the m3 platform is daily driving duties and taking it to the track in nearby stock form. A dedicated m3 track car does t really make sense unless you are deep into the hobby. A sub 3000 lb m3 with suspension mods will give any GT3 a run for its money. That said, I don't really need the m3 as a daily since my wife has a Macau turbo which is the perfect daily IMO.

But I don't think I can sell the m3 though. Every time I see someone rave about the gt3, I think the m3 creates as much emotion past 8k for a fraction of the cost. As someone who appreciates NA motors, the s65 is peak.

I'm stuck. I think I need to pre-order the emira (if any slots are available) and then decide after test driving.
I loved the evora 400, and I’m sure the Emira is on another level, plus it looks amazing.

I also love the e92, and even more so for the value it brings

That said, I’m gonna guess you haven’t driven a newer gen gt3, because of you had I doubt you would say the experience is similar to the e92.

The e92 is great no doubt, but the experience of winding out a 991.1 + gt3 is sheer insanity. Nothing else like it. Sound or experience wise.
Appreciate 1
imserious412.00
      12-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #8
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
I think I'd avoid a first model year Lotus even if it is based on the Evora. I'd also talk with my local Lotus dealer to see what allocations are like. I've heard on another forum that one guy was looking at a 2-3 year wait (he's obviously not first in line) to get an Emira. But if the underlying question is whether you have one mid-engined sport car or two front engined rear drive sports/performance cars, it wouldn't be a hard decision for me. Unless I needed a two car solution and was compromising to get the shiny new thing, I'd go for the Emira.
Appreciate 1
imserious412.00