BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

12-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
thelightingguy
Rep
Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Tahoe

Buying new tools before getting my M3

Hello all,

I've been on the prowl for an M3 for a while and decided to commit to an E93 within the next year or so. I got to drive one this weekend and had an absolute blast, and since we are seeing some nice depreciation trends on these cars I think within a year will be a good time to buy.

I enjoy poking around cars and performing most of my own maintenance, within my abilities. Would also be a great activity to spend more time with my son. Before I buy the car I would like to get set up with a new tool set that will enable me to do fluid changes, plugs, basic replacement parts, brake work, etc on the M3. For ex. I would bring the car in to do rod bearing bearings.

I was hoping you all could give me some advice on what kind of tools to get and what might be handy to have around specifically for the M3. I'm hoping to do away with my hodgepodged tool set and upgrade to a clean setup.

What I have:
  • 3/8" portable impact wrench
  • 1/2" breaker bar
  • oil pan
  • fluid extractor & funnels
  • multimeter
  • adjustable wrenches
  • needle nosed pliers
  • shears
  • wire strippers
  • soldering iron
  • a lot of random sockets and open ended wrenches that I want to get rid of and start from scratch
  • 1/2" & 3/8" extensions

What I think i need:
  • diagnostic scan tool
  • Divisions Coil Removal
  • gearwrench spark plug socket (is this needed? I have a couple of the rubber gasket plug sockets)
  • jack and jack stands. which ones work well with the M3?
  • 3/8 air ratchet
  • new 3/8 & 1/2" metric/us socket sets, also need them for air tools. are there decent kits to buy?
  • stationary vertical air compressor and air hoses
  • new screwdriver set
  • new 1/2" torque wrench that actually works (my click one is busted)
  • new torx set with driver
  • new metric/us open end wrenches. maybe buy in a kit?
  • one of those magnetic bendy flashlight things
  • creeper

Thank you all, looking forward to making some new friends here
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #2
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

I could get carried away giving my opinion on this topic, but I'll just suggest one tool I'm really impressed with:

I think at the moment this Ingersoll Rand is the best DIY 1/2" electric impact, more than enough power for all E93 M3 repairs to include removing the real axle nuts and all suspension components without the need for air tools, but still light enough not to fatigue your arms holding it over your head for long periods of time. It has the best built-in lighting system and an electric brake, very helpful and lacking on most of the other brands.

Also check out this link to get a good overview of the size and type of fasteners you'll encounter on DIY M3 projects.
E9X M3 "Factory" Tools Can Be Found Here

Last edited by Theodore; 12-04-2018 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: typo fixed
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

for cordless electric tools, Milwaukee m12 fuel. we use them in shop environment, better than dewalt, snapon, etc etc.
      12-05-2018, 06:45 AM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The new M12 stubby impact in 3/8 would be good.

Metric wrench set. Flex head ratcheting metric wrench set.

Male and female torx and metric hex sockets.

1/4 drive metric socket kit.

Two HF $59 on sale aluminum jacks plus 4 jackstands.

Two hockey puck style adapter for bmw plastic jack points.

Foxwell nt510 or similar level scan tool.

32mm 6 point socket if you want to change oil filter.

For torque wrenches I would buy the HF 1/2 and 3/8 and 1/4 on sale for about $15 each. And a $15 angle adapter. Later buy better ones for $150 each. I don’t really think the $50-75 torque wrenches are any better than the cheap ones so for me there is no inbetween. I have tested my HF against my Precision and they read pretty much identical. With the 1/4 drive, it is best to also have a feel for the torque — many have snapped the small bolts and clickers aren’t as audible in that size.

Good luck. Hopefully you will have quickjacks or a lift and a nice home shop in 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
for cordless electric tools, Milwaukee m12 fuel. we use them in shop environment, better than dewalt, snapon, etc etc.
hands down my favorite tool. saves so much time!

also, get some torque star bits! they are all over this car.
      12-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
thelightingguy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The new M12 stubby impact in 3/8 would be good.

Metric wrench set. Flex head ratcheting metric wrench set.

Male and female torx and metric hex sockets.

1/4 drive metric socket kit.

Two HF $59 on sale aluminum jacks plus 4 jackstands.

Two hockey puck style adapter for bmw plastic jack points.

Foxwell nt510 or similar level scan tool.

32mm 6 point socket if you want to change oil filter.

For torque wrenches I would buy the HF 1/2 and 3/8 and 1/4 on sale for about $15 each. And a $15 angle adapter. Later buy better ones for $150 each. I don’t really think the $50-75 torque wrenches are any better than the cheap ones so for me there is no inbetween. I have tested my HF against my Precision and they read pretty much identical. With the 1/4 drive, it is best to also have a feel for the torque — many have snapped the small bolts and clickers aren’t as audible in that size.

Good luck. Hopefully you will have quickjacks or a lift and a nice home shop in 5 years.
Thank you for putting this list together! I've got the Milwaukee M18 impact and drill set, but I could see how that might be a little bulky when trying to work around a car.

Hopefully a nice home shop is not too far away. My current garage is not very large, certainly not tall enough for a lift. But its big enough to be able to work around a car just fine. I do hope to have a lift in a different home some day soon, so I will likely pass on the quickjacks and just go with traditional jacks for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
hands down my favorite tool. saves so much time!

also, get some torque star bits! they are all over this car.
great, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
thelightingguy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
I could get carried away giving my opinion on this topic, but I'll just suggest one tool I'm really impressed with:

I think at the moment this Ingersoll Rand is the best DIY 1/2" electric impact, more than enough power for all E93 M3 repairs to include removing the real axle nuts and all suspension components without the need for air tools, but still light enough not to fatigue your arms holding it over your head for long periods of time. It has the best built-in lighting system and an electric brake, very helpful and lacking on most of the other brands.

Also check out this link to get a good overview of the size and type of fasteners you'll encounter on DIY M3 projects.
great stuff, thanks Theodore. That link is the jackpot.
Appreciate 1
Theodore668.50
      12-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If you have an m18 battery and charger then buy an m18 3/8 or 1/2 impact if all you have now is the hex impact. The m18 will be fine for what you need for now. Use manual power where it won’t fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #9
thelightingguy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
If you have an m18 battery and charger then buy an m18 3/8 or 1/2 impact if all you have now is the hex impact. The m18 will be fine for what you need for now. Use manual power where it won’t fit.
will do. Thanks. I actually have the impact too.
Appreciate 0