BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-21-2022, 03:07 PM   #1343
Zarya
Registered
Rep
Drives: M6

Mic problem or bad call quality...

Hello,
Regarding the mic issue. I too am having issues I updated to the latest firmware and with the supplied mic while the quality was a bit better I still was experiencing echo and excusive noise (kind of like road noise). I purchased a "better" mic and that just seemed to be worse. I thought that maybe the mic is too hot and needs to be attenuated some how.

If you have a solution please advise

Thank you!
Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stE92M3 View Post
So I just got my unit but I noticed that it doesn't have the Wi-Fi antenna connections, I'm assuming they're internal now? Gonna try and get it installed tomorrow night, also I've read mixed reviews on the mic and making calls. What's the final consensus? If I'm in carplay making and receiving calls it has to go through the oem BT? Or Can it Go throughout the CarPlay? I was planning on routing the mic up to the spare area next to the oem mic and securing it from moving to eliminate unwanted interference. Also is it possible to be on the phone (oem BT) and switching the screen to the carplay screen? I know I'm gonna end up reading this whole thread again but just wanted to see if I can get an answer before diving into that later.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 02:29 AM   #1344
dad_spec
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Spotify

I just installed my Mr12Volt tonight and I got thru the initial tests without major hitches. However, I noticed that when I open Spotify thru Apple Carplay, the ability to scroll and select is gone entirely, and I am stuck on the opening Spotify screen. Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 06:40 PM   #1345
tylerzgl
Rep
Drives: E90 335D E82 135i

I have a updated DSP unit installed, I've noticed when no music playing there's an audible static hum. The hum is slightly noticeable when music is playing at a low volume. Does anyone have a similar issue? I'm not sure if this is related to the Mr12volt unit as I have a aftermarket amp installed, will see if i can swap back in the stock amp to test.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 07:14 PM   #1346
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerzgl View Post
I have a updated DSP unit installed, I've noticed when no music playing there's an audible static hum. The hum is slightly noticeable when music is playing at a low volume. Does anyone have a similar issue? I'm not sure if this is related to the Mr12volt unit as I have a aftermarket amp installed, will see if i can swap back in the stock amp to test.
aftermarket amp issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 09:40 PM   #1347
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
What amp do you have installed?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 12:29 AM   #1348
tylerzgl
Rep
Drives: E90 335D E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
What amp do you have installed?
jl audio xd600/6 with Technic PNP Harness
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 01:51 AM   #1349
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
jl audio xd600/6 with Technic PNP Harness
Looks like a hi-fi amp.

I had the problems you are describing once, and I too have an upgraded amp. In my cause the cause was a faulty adapter harness for the amp rather than the amp itself.

This was long before I ever added the p2000.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 11:16 AM   #1350
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad_spec View Post
I just installed my Mr12Volt tonight and I got thru the initial tests without major hitches. However, I noticed that when I open Spotify thru Apple Carplay, the ability to scroll and select is gone entirely, and I am stuck on the opening Spotify screen. Anyone else have this issue?
Did you get a fix? I am having the same issue with Waze going to full screen then losing any ability to scroll. Waze continues to update as I drive and it can play music but I have to do everything from my phone once it's frozen

Carplay
iPhone 11 with updated ios 16.1.1
Cic with stock cd changer, 2011.75 hardware
1019B firmware

I've got a question into their support team via the website but haven't heard back.

Last edited by CamasM3e93; 11-29-2022 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 09:40 PM   #1351
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
Did you get a fix? I am having the same issue with Waze going to full screen then losing any ability to scroll. Waze continues to update as I drive and it can play music but I have to do everything from my phone once it's frozen

Carplay
1019B firmware

I've got a question into their support team via the website but haven't heard back.
Just a suggestion, but try force killing waze on the phone. It will stop the carplay app, and then re-open waze from carplay.

I've had waze flip out, but not in the manner you are describing, and that fixed it every time.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 02:43 AM   #1352
danbav
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 330i, 335i. Golf GTI mk1

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm if the audio click is now resolved after installing the new firmware?

Kindest regards
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 03:59 PM   #1353
CamasM3e93
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Carplay
1019B firmware

Just a suggestion, but try force killing waze on the phone. It will stop the carplay app, and then re-open waze from carplay.

I've had waze flip out, but not in the manner you are describing, and that fixed it every time.
Thanks for suggesting that but it doesn't seem to resolve anything. Killing the app on the phone does restore functionality of carplay but clicking back into waze leads to the cursor freezing again. Same story with the text function it turns out. Music works ok in terms of using carplay and the bmw controller to move through play lists and such. I can use the staggered carplay screen which shows half of waze and the music playing, with ability to move forward and back in the songs but once I try to go to 100% waze or text screen, frozen cursor with background functionality ok (the nav map keeps updating).

Related to the other post question, I have no audio clicking on the 1019b firmware.

would not repeat this purchase given the headaches and still no response from support. Hard pass.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 01:28 AM   #1354
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for suggesting that but it doesn't seem to resolve anything. Killing the app on the phone does restore functionality of carplay but clicking back into waze leads to the cursor freezing again. Same story with the text function it turns out. Music works ok in terms of using carplay and the bmw controller to move through play lists and such. I can use the staggered carplay screen which shows half of waze and the music playing, with ability to move forward and back in the songs but once I try to go to 100% waze or text screen, frozen cursor with background functionality ok (the nav map keeps updating).

Related to the other post question, I have no audio clicking on the 1019b firmware.

would not repeat this purchase given the headaches and still no response from support. Hard pass.
I've had much better luck getting ahold of support on whats app rather than e-mail as silly as that sounds. Seems like others have as well.

When you say text screen- do you mean the text entry screen? Do you happen to have any other languages installed on your phone besides USA english?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 04:39 PM   #1355
CamasM3e93
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've had much better luck getting ahold of support on whats app rather than e-mail as silly as that sounds. Seems like others have as well.

When you say text screen- do you mean the text entry screen? Do you happen to have any other languages installed on your phone besides USA english?

Looks like it was a permissions issue. I had my iPhone permissions buttoned down for privacy and international roaming.

To fix: For the Carplay Waze scroll-freeze, go into the Waze permissions from the iPhone settings menu. I set location permission to Always, turned access to Bluetooth and microphone on, and turned on background app refresh. cellular data also needs to be on, obviously. Then I had to reboot the phone and when I came back to the car on a cold start (so the MR12VOLT was rebooted from cold), the Carplay and Waze were correctly integrating with an active scroll.

Suspect dad_spec can address his issue similarly.
Appreciate 1
drwankel1031.50
      12-06-2022, 10:31 PM   #1356
imsron
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:

Carplay
1019B firmware

Had the same Spotify issue but was gone after a phone reset
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 12:48 PM   #1357
kezanian
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2011 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbav View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone confirm if the audio click is now resolved after installing the new firmware?

Kindest regards
I'm interested as well in knowing if the audio click is resolved, as well as if there are any other bugs.

Appreciate the help
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 08:08 PM   #1358
Kiecelaria
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i E93

Mine arrived at the house a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, I am deployed to Antarctica until the end of February and then a vacation with the family in New Zealand. So, it will be quite some time before I get a chance to install and test.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 02:22 PM   #1359
samak
Rep
Drives: bmw e91 6mt

Heads up, mr12volt is running another sale until xmas for anyone looking to get one. I think I am almost ready to pull the trigger but had a question before I buy.

I have an 07 e91 with ccc and logic 7 and recently pulled a cic unit, screen and cables from a 2011. It seems like the best route is do the cic retrofit and then get the cic p2000 version from mr12volt. I was wondering if I will still need an emulator or coding for the retrofit if I don't care about activating the cic maps and only plan to use google maps through carplay?

In general has anyone had any issues running the mr12volt on a retrofitted cic system vs a stock one?

Apologies if this was already asked, I did my best to read through this whole thread but it was long. Seems like getting the ccc version gives a weird aspect ratio compared to the cic so I'd like to try the cic route assuming there are no major roadblocks.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 04:18 PM   #1360
khoivo408
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by samak View Post
Heads up, mr12volt is running another sale until xmas for anyone looking to get one. I think I am almost ready to pull the trigger but had a question before I buy.

I have an 07 e91 with ccc and logic 7 and recently pulled a cic unit, screen and cables from a 2011. It seems like the best route is do the cic retrofit and then get the cic p2000 version from mr12volt. I was wondering if I will still need an emulator or coding for the retrofit if I don't care about activating the cic maps and only plan to use google maps through carplay?

In general has anyone had any issues running the mr12volt on a retrofitted cic system vs a stock one?

Apologies if this was already asked, I did my best to read through this whole thread but it was long. Seems like getting the ccc version gives a weird aspect ratio compared to the cic so I'd like to try the cic route assuming there are no major roadblocks.
My '08 E90 M3 is CIC retrofitted and it functioned with the original CIC P2000 from Mr12Volt just fine. I eventually had BMW maps installed with emulator because I wanted a complete retrofit but it wasn't needed. Now I'm running their P2000 DSP version and everything works as it should!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 01:40 PM   #1361
samak
Rep
Drives: bmw e91 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoivo408 View Post
My '08 E90 M3 is CIC retrofitted and it functioned with the original CIC P2000 from Mr12Volt just fine. I eventually had BMW maps installed with emulator because I wanted a complete retrofit but it wasn't needed. Now I'm running their P2000 DSP version and everything works as it should!
Thank you! Just placed my order and will report back once I install.

Was able to get the CIC retrofitted and working (except nav) and realized I also have the old iPod integration kit. I saw something earlier in the thread about removing that for mr12volt as well so should be a fun time figuring that out.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 09:01 AM   #1362
kd7iwp
Rep
Drives: 2009 E61 535i, 2001 E46 325i

I retrofitted CIC (though not with an emulator, I went through the whole process to unlock maps) and Mr12Volt works fine. I find that I don’t like many parts of it as much as
H previous MMI though. It is annoying to me that I can no longer listen to radio while using CarPlay. It also only turns the backup camera on when the PDC sensors are on. So once I start going forward (which turns off my backup camera) the screen now is black with volume reduced until I get up to speed and PDC shuts off. My old box could detect when I was in reverse (I have a 2009 535xi with manual trans) and it would immediately shut off the camera system when leaving reverse. I also don’t like that the volume dips way down when in reverse.
On my old box I could always press and hold Menu on idrive to switch between OEM and MMI and I miss that. Sound quality is definitely better with Mr12Volt though.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 07:23 AM   #1363
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylim View Post
I tried several cards and finally one worked. No need to mess with any cables (at least for the CIC DSP version - I bought this in April 2022), restart CIC etc.

What I did was just to unlock the car, plug in the card while accessory power was still on (I had the climate control trim etc out the day before), if it likes the card you'll see that the blue light flashes for a couple of seconds. Then take it out, and you are done. No cables need to be removed, and no rebooting is necessary.

Funny why they won't update the instructions. I am sure a lot of people are confused about the update process and requiring so many steps deters people from actually updating or even buying in the first place.

Hey, considering one of these devices and your post seems closest to a question I have...

Do you need to disassemble dash to update firmware or does the SD card slot mentioned in the instructions extend to somewhere helpful and not needing to prise apart everything just to update?

Thanks in advance for your help

Chris
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #1364
danbav
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 330i, 335i. Golf GTI mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticc View Post
Hey, considering one of these devices and your post seems closest to a question I have...

Do you need to disassemble dash to update firmware or does the SD card slot mentioned in the instructions extend to somewhere helpful and not needing to prise apart everything just to update?

Thanks in advance for your help

Chris
Buy an extender and run it to the glove box. I have this exact setup and not had an issue. I have run multiple updates on mine. Newest hardware and prev lights version.

Once you have plugged SD card in push and hold down the idrive knob for about 10 seconds and unit reboots and reads the card and updates.

Please note this is not the recommended process from mr 12 volt so do it at your own risk..
Appreciate 0