BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-17-2022, 11:03 PM   #1211
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Those of us with no problems and are enjoying the product arent necessarily chiming in saying everything is fine or we don't mind the occasional cracking sound. Forums are mostly complaints and pleas for help by default.
Appreciate 2
drwankel1034.50
Rochen_00349.50
      09-18-2022, 01:40 PM   #1212
AK M3
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

im not experiencing any issues with my unit. no pops or any other odd behavior whatsoever.

what does tick me off the most is the way the volume significantly decreases once the car goes into Reverse. Once you revert back to Drive, the volume goes back up. Is there a way to disable this setting or are we stuck with it?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 08:07 PM   #1213
Smeargle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Considering buying the new P2000MD unit but seeing mixed results in this thread. I had an older (early '21) Carsara unit in my old car but got another e9x and now am contemplating which carplay solution to go with. With the P2000MD unit are people still experiencing this low end bass issue? The cracking/popping sound? Has there been any solution to the call quality fix also? I see on the Mr12v site that it notes that the OEM mic won't work, but you can just use the handsfree bt from the cic to take calls - does this actually work? How does this interact with the carplay menu? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 03:41 AM   #1214
fdrxseven
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335, F02 740LI

I had both P2000ML and MD installed on my 08 335 with HK L7 system, there was no crack or popping issue so far, and i also have the latest update from the website. There was definitely a fractional bass loss in the ML series, MD was addressed.
The downside is the microphone which cant be integrated into CCC handsfree. it was perfect otherwise.
Appreciate 1
Smeargle173.00
      09-19-2022, 02:53 PM   #1215
Smeargle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone had success with using the cic Bluetooth hands free calling with oem mic while still being able to use the CarPlay interface on the mr12v unit? Really the only thing stopping me now. Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 03:19 PM   #1216
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

When I am using Wireless CarPlay, my phone (VZW iphone 13 pro) does not seem to be getting data. Its like the phone is trying to get data through the CarPlay wifi and sometimes texts and other data will not come through until I disconnect or leave the car. Has anyone else run into this and know how to resolve?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 03:35 PM   #1217
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah dude View Post
When I am using Wireless CarPlay, my phone (VZW iphone 13 pro) does not seem to be getting data. Its like the phone is trying to get data through the CarPlay wifi and sometimes texts and other data will not come through until I disconnect or leave the car. Has anyone else run into this and know how to resolve?
I have an iphone 13 pro and have no such issue. My phone is a sim unlocked model purchased directly from apple, and I am on AT&T.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 05:06 PM   #1218
nah dude
Pingu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
I have an iphone 13 pro and have no such issue. My phone is a sim unlocked model purchased directly from apple, and I am on AT&T.
It's weird all the CarPlay functions work perfectly, but if I am doing anything on the phone while it's connected to CarPlay, it's like it doesn't have a data connection.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 05:26 PM   #1219
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah dude View Post
It's weird all the CarPlay functions work perfectly, but if I am doing anything on the phone while it's connected to CarPlay, it's like it doesn't have a data connection.
Did you previously setup mirroring?

https://www.mr12volt.com/pages/mirroring-from-phone

If so, try disabling it to see if you have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 06:48 PM   #1220
nah dude
Pingu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djan9el View Post
Did you previously setup mirroring?

https://www.mr12volt.com/pages/mirroring-from-phone

If so, try disabling it to see if you have the same issue.
I didn’t set that up.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 05:17 AM   #1221
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK M3 View Post
im not experiencing any issues with my unit. no pops or any other odd behavior whatsoever.

what does tick me off the most is the way the volume significantly decreases once the car goes into Reverse. Once you revert back to Drive, the volume goes back up. Is there a way to disable this setting or are we stuck with it?
To me, having reduced volume when in reverse is definitely a good idea…
      09-20-2022, 08:13 AM   #1222
djan9el
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
To me, having reduced volume when in reverse is definitely a good idea…
I agree, but why not make it a user configurable setting? I don't mind reducing the volume, but not to the point I can barely hear it. Would be nice to have the option to turn it off or increase/decrease as desired.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 05:15 PM   #1223
djan9el
Private
Rep

In case someone else wants to disable your phone's automatic Apple CarPlay or Android Auto connection to Mr12Volt P2000. I went ahead and unchecked the option to Auto start phone link app from Settings, General menu and now I don't have to deal with my phone auto connecting. I actually like this option better, since I just need to select and click CarPlay when I want to connect the phone.

Name:  p2000.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  35.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 05:19 PM   #1224
legomanx51v
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Question for anyone that’s actually used the equaliser built into the unit… how do you make it actually apply the changes?
I’ve tried tweaking the bands and it seems to have no effect. Eg. I turned down 16khz all the way down and expected to hear a noticeable loss of treble but nothing happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 05:37 PM   #1225
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I've just installed the P2000 system, everything seems to be working ok, except for in the back of the radio, I have an extra cable that I am not sure where to plug into, does anyone have any idea? It's just dangling at the bottom of my attached photo.

I also am not sure where to mount the mic that's included for best sound, does anyone have a best location?

Edit: the unit seems to be connecting to my phone via when the car is fully off (randomly), very intrusive and could possibly drain the battery. Any way to disable it when the car is turned off?

Also, chalk it up to being mechanically inept, but the mr12volt installation video is awful. There is another, but none of them show the full process start to finish. Super frustrating.

Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by 2008M36MT; 09-24-2022 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 06:32 PM   #1226
legomanx51v
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008M36MT View Post
I've just installed the P2000 system, everything seems to be working ok, except for in the back of the radio, I have an extra cable that I am not sure where to plug into, does anyone have any idea? It's just dangling at the bottom of my attached photo.

I also am not sure where to mount the mic that's included for best sound, does anyone have a best location?
That extra cable is to power a small fan that is often on the back of the BMW CCC head unit. If you don't have a fan there there's nothing to plug into. It look like you did a CIC retrofit?

Best spot for the mic: run the cable behind the glovebox, out of the side/end of dashboard where the door closes, then up along the A pillar, across the top of the windscreen/roof lining and into the overhead centre lights area... that's where the OEM mic is located, you'll find an empty spot for the second mr12volt mic.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 07:26 PM   #1227
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomanx51v View Post
That extra cable is to power a small fan that is often on the back of the BMW CCC head unit. If you don't have a fan there there's nothing to plug into. It look like you did a CIC retrofit?

Best spot for the mic: run the cable behind the glovebox, out of the side/end of dashboard where the door closes, then up along the A pillar, across the top of the windscreen/roof lining and into the overhead centre lights area... that's where the OEM mic is located, you'll find an empty spot for the second mr12volt mic.
Thank you. Can I ask do you have to use the 12v mic or does the factory one still work/is integrated?

If anyone can chime in, I see above there’s a settings section for Mr12Volt, hoe do I get there? My system goes straight into CarPlay, I never saw a general section to select android vs CarPlay and so forth. When I click on the CD/DVD in the BMW native NAV, I usually have music tracks and clicking on any of them takes me right onto CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 07:39 PM   #1228
legomanx51v
Rep

The factory mic will only work with the BMW bluetooth system.
It will not work within CarPlay as the Mr12volt box has no way of accessing it.

If you receive a phone call while CarPlay is active, your call will have three mic inputs available:
1. iPhone loudspeaker
2. CarPlay (mr12volt mic)
3. BMW bluetooth (BMW mic)

It defaults to the CarPlay mic when you answer a call, so it is worth installing it properly. Otherwise every time you get a call you will have to manually select the BMW mic on your phone. That gets annoying.

To get to the mr12volt settings you have to leave CarPlay.
Scroll left /right through the CarPlay apps home screen and you'll find a mr12volt "app".
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 12:16 AM   #1229
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomanx51v View Post
The factory mic will only work with the BMW bluetooth system.
It will not work within CarPlay as the Mr12volt box has no way of accessing it.

If you receive a phone call while CarPlay is active, your call will have three mic inputs available:
1. iPhone loudspeaker
2. CarPlay (mr12volt mic)
3. BMW bluetooth (BMW mic)

It defaults to the CarPlay mic when you answer a call, so it is worth installing it properly. Otherwise every time you get a call you will have to manually select the BMW mic on your phone. That gets annoying.

To get to the mr12volt settings you have to leave CarPlay.
Scroll left /right through the CarPlay apps home screen and you'll find a mr12volt "app".
I saw someone else mention this behavior, but in my case, my setup does not behave this way.

If I receive or make a call, it sends me over to idrive to handle the call, and switches back when completed. When it switches me over to idrive, the iphone always selects the car's bluetooth. It works flawlessly every time. I've never even had to look at it.

One variable that may explain some of the inconsistent behavior- My car is a 2012, and has bluetooth music streaming (AD2P). This was only introduced on the 2011.75+ cars, and has a different combox to enable this feature. Most cars won't have this, but it could explain some difference in call behavior between vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 06:39 AM   #1230
legomanx51v
Rep

Interesting! Technology eh?

Have you tried using the mr12volt equaliser? Does it work for you?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 03:17 PM   #1231
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Well my issues are starting to happen.

Issue 1: I can go into CarPlay apps, but then cannot scroll within or back into apps. For instance, I can select and enter into Waze, the map shows, moves around, but if I try to get out of the app or select menus or go to alternate apps there’s no “scrolling box” that hovers over various icons.for all intents and purposes I can just enter into the one app and then that’s it, no going back out unless I get out of CarPlay completely, but then see issue 2.

Issue 2: building on issue 1, I press menu on the idrive controller to exit CarPlay, now I’m in the native BMW navigation. I try to go back into CarPlay by selecting the CD option, and it shows 3 tracks, when I click on any of them nothing happens, so I can’t get back into CarPlay. Is there another way to get back into CarPlay? What am I doing wrong?

Seems very buggy to me.

Thanks for all y’all’s help.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 05:06 PM   #1232
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

The frustration, it burns....

Fired up the car today, and no connection, just the usual "connecting...." tease.

So, whilst driving I tried pressing down the iDrive controller and after about 10 seconds it did reboot, displaying the Mr12Volt splash screen.

And then...joy of joys....it connected, first into Amigo, and then when I went to the main menu, I could also select Waze. Perfect, just what I wanted.

Much joy for the next 30 minutes or so driving, and then I stopped to pick some stuff up. Switching off, I thought "I bet it doesn't reconnect when I start up again..."

But wait....it did!

And all the way back home, until I was about a 100 yards out and...ooops....."Connecting..."

So randomly disconnecting, perhaps like others have experienced?

Is this associated with dodgy power connectors?

I have been in touch with support and described my symptoms.

They did say that some new MCU code is coming very soon as well as firmware.