BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

10-11-2022, 07:22 AM   #1277
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Am I doing something wrong?
Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change?

For my system to work, each time I get into the car I have to do the following:

1. Start-up my phone’s mobile hotspot
2. Start-up MLink
3. Unlock Android Auto on the phone
4. Select CDC on the iDrive controller
5. Press the “on/off/volume” button

I can live with 4 and 5, but surely 1 to 3 could be automated on acquiring the Bluetooth signal?

Am I missing something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Are you using the Mr.12Volt unit? No hotspot is required for Android Auto, also M-Link is not required, I've never used that. Sounds you might be talking about one of those full android systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I asked the question of Mr12Volt support, and this is their response:
"for mirroring, a hotspot is always needed"

So if you are achieving mirroring without a hotspot, please advise!
Looks like you didn't previously mention that you were using mirroring. I did mention it wasn't needed for Android Auto which I thought you were referring to.

Sorry I haven't used mirroring, I prefer to just use Android Auto. Can't help you there, but I assume the problem is that mirroring doesn't have auto connect like AA/Carplay does.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 04:11 AM   #1278
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Looks like you didn't previously mention that you were using mirroring. I did mention it wasn't needed for Android Auto which I thought you were referring to.

Sorry I haven't used mirroring, I prefer to just use Android Auto. Can't help you there, but I assume the problem is that mirroring doesn't have auto connect like AA/Carplay does.
After many exchanges of messages with Mr12Volt support (who to be fair, are very responsive) it is now clear that I don't need to use mirroring, or a hotspot.

I blame very confusing written instructions which came with the product (my excuse and I am sticking to it...).

I disabled Mlink yesterday, and connected quite quickly with AA, with no hotspot.

I am now assuming that Mlink is only necessary if I want to display non-AA compatible apps on the screen - for example the BMW M Drive analyser screens?

So....at the end of a long day....!
      10-12-2022, 08:29 AM   #1279
kd7iwp
Rep
Drives: 2009 E61 535i, 2001 E46 325i

MLink is for the times where you want to mirror exactly what your phone screen looks like to the idrive screen. I personally find no use for it since our phone screens are practically as big already, and certainly are much higher resolution. I only tried it once when I was in the car with the kids and we were waiting in line at the border and I played a YouTube video on the screen for them. That way they could listen via the car speakers. In all honestly, they preferred holding my phone in the backseat to watch instead.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 09:03 AM   #1280
its55
2008 BMW E92 M3
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
How would I add a backup camera to a Mr12Volt on a CCC system, is it even possible?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 11:03 PM   #1281
peteleun
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by its55 View Post
How would I add a backup camera to a Mr12Volt on a CCC system, is it even possible?
The mr12volt ccc unit comes with the reverse camera connector. Basically the feature is build in, you just have to buy the camera and install it. I think on page 1 or 2 has camera recommendations
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 03:33 AM   #1282
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

How or where to get the mic splitter?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #1283
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
How or where to get the mic splitter?
You cannot use the OEM mic with Mr12volt. The OEM mic has enhancements made from the CIC head unit which doesn't allow it to be used on any other systems.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 03:37 PM   #1284
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
You cannot use the OEM mic with Mr12volt. The OEM mic has enhancements made from the CIC head unit which doesn't allow it to be used on any other systems.
Oh but the first page of this thread mentioned an oem mic splitter?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 07:01 PM   #1285
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
Oh but the first page of this thread mentioned an oem mic splitter?
Failed experiment, it didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #1286
JOJO82
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteleun View Post
The mr12volt ccc unit comes with the reverse camera connector. Basically the feature is build in, you just have to buy the camera and install it. I think on page 1 or 2 has camera recommendations
When I had my unit and tried hooking the camera up this way all I would get is a black screen. I ended up going the relay route.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 04:22 AM   #1287
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7iwp View Post
MLink is for the times where you want to mirror exactly what your phone screen looks like to the idrive screen. I personally find no use for it since our phone screens are practically as big already, and certainly are much higher resolution. I only tried it once when I was in the car with the kids and we were waiting in line at the border and I played a YouTube video on the screen for them. That way they could listen via the car speakers. In all honestly, they preferred holding my phone in the backseat to watch instead.
Is anyone using MLink for anything?

I was hoping to get the BMW M Drive Analyser screens on the iDrive, but have not succeeded yet.

Presumably I have to disable Android Auto now?
      10-15-2022, 03:29 PM   #1288
Smeargle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey I'm installing this right now, I followed the instructions in the initial video but in my package I also received a 10 pin cic connector that I don't know what to do with, the other idrive connector fit fine. My idrive screen however won't boot even into regular idrive, all that comes up is a red screen. Worth noting that I see the box has power. Any suggestions guys?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 03:59 PM   #1289
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeargle View Post
Hey I'm installing this right now, I followed the instructions in the initial video but in my package I also received a 10 pin cic connector that I don't know what to do with, the other idrive connector fit fine. My idrive screen however won't boot even into regular idrive, all that comes up is a red screen. Worth noting that I see the box has power. Any suggestions guys?
From memory the kit covers 2 different i-Drive controller interfaces.

You use the one that fits your existing wiring connectors. One is therefore spare
      10-15-2022, 04:06 PM   #1290
Smeargle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys I got it to work. One more thing, in my old carsara system you could single press the menu button when you were using an app in carplay and it would take you back one step up into the general CarPlay apps. Is there any way to get that functionality on mr12volt? Currently single pressing the menu button takes me back to cic menu.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 02:35 PM   #1291
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeargle View Post
Thanks guys I got it to work. One more thing, in my old carsara system you could single press the menu button when you were using an app in carplay and it would take you back one step up into the general CarPlay apps. Is there any way to get that functionality on mr12volt? Currently single pressing the menu button takes me back to cic menu.
Press the back button the CIC controller. It should take you back to the Carplay apps menu.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 07:15 AM   #1292
jroppelt
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

2nd OEM Mic?

Is the Mr 12 Volt Microphone connection a 3.5 in to the unit? Has anyone attempted to get an 2nd OEM Microphone and an adapter to 3.5 (not sure if they even make those) but I have actually read all 59 pages of this, yes was very bored, and I didn't see that offered up as a solution. Could it be done?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 12:36 AM   #1293
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroppelt View Post
Is the Mr 12 Volt Microphone connection a 3.5 in to the unit? Has anyone attempted to get an 2nd OEM Microphone and an adapter to 3.5 (not sure if they even make those) but I have actually read all 59 pages of this, yes was very bored, and I didn't see that offered up as a solution. Could it be done?
No, the OEM Mic has some amplification and enhancements to make the mic clearer on the OEM CIC Unit so splitting the mic will cause an issue where one mic gets enough sound and the other just sounds muffled. Don't bother, hook up the Mr12volt mic inside next to the spare slot on the OEM Mic and you won't have any issues. Make sure its secured and doesn't move around, if the cable moves around you'll get some noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 07:38 AM   #1294
jroppelt
Rep

Quote:
No, the OEM Mic has some amplification and enhancements to make the mic clearer on the OEM CIC Unit so splitting the mic will cause an issue where one mic gets enough sound and the other just sounds muffled. Don't bother, hook up the Mr12volt mic inside next to the spare slot on the OEM Mic and you won't have any issues. Make sure its secured and doesn't move around, if the cable moves around you'll get some noise.
Thanks, do you think a better mic would help? I am in love with the lossless audio quality but unfortunately still need to conduct business on the phone in my car. One last thing there are 2 different Mr12Volt boxes out there a black one and a blue one, any idea on which one is the most recent version?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 09:57 AM   #1295
kd7iwp
Rep
Drives: 2009 E61 535i, 2001 E46 325i

Blue. That is the one with DSP. Don’t get the black one.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 12:05 PM   #1296
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroppelt View Post
Thanks, do you think a better mic would help? I am in love with the lossless audio quality but unfortunately still need to conduct business on the phone in my car. One last thing there are 2 different Mr12Volt boxes out there a black one and a blue one, any idea on which one is the most recent version?
Honestly, the microphone sound quality is not a problem. As long as you secure it properly and it doesn't make noise it is just as good as a regular in-car handsfree.

If you accept calls through Carplay, Carplay itself has Mic Enhancement software so it's not as bad as what people make it seem. I've tested it and it is not an issue.

Blue unit is the latest version.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 03:40 PM   #1297
jroppelt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7iwp View Post
Blue. That is the one with DSP. Don’t get the black one.
Lifesaver...I almost just di,d and figured I would check back in here 1st. Just ordered the Blue one, now the waiting game begins.

Last edited by jroppelt; 10-20-2022 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: adding content
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 03:49 PM   #1298
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Honestly, the microphone sound quality is not a problem. As long as you secure it properly and it doesn't make noise it is just as good as a regular in-car handsfree.

If you accept calls through Carplay, Carplay itself has Mic Enhancement software so it's not as bad as what people make it seem. I've tested it and it is not an issue.

Blue unit is the latest version.
My first microphone was defective which does make me curious how good the quality on these parts is in general.

I replaced with a similar Amazon Mic and it seems to have worked fine. I do occasionally have people say they have trouble hearing me but think that may be due more to AT&T than the mic, my wife says she can hear me fine.