BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

09-25-2022, 05:11 PM   #1233
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Rear-view camera picture quality - a bit dim

I have also installed the GreenYi camera, the same as many others here.

Whilst it is great to have this capability now, I am beginning to notice that the daylight image could definitely be a bit brighter and more contrasty.

Ironically, the night time image seems to be a bit better.

I don't want to push the brightness/contrast settings up too high (in the Mr12Volt settings menu) because that seems to bleach out the map views, to the point at which you cannot see streets.
      09-25-2022, 07:25 PM   #1234
legomanx51v
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008M36MT View Post
Well my issues are starting to happen.

Issue 1: I can go into CarPlay apps, but then cannot scroll within or back into apps. For instance, I can select and enter into Waze, the map shows, moves around, but if I try to get out of the app or select menus or go to alternate apps there’s no “scrolling box” that hovers over various icons.for all intents and purposes I can just enter into the one app and then that’s it, no going back out unless I get out of CarPlay completely, but then see issue 2.

Issue 2: building on issue 1, I press menu on the idrive controller to exit CarPlay, now I’m in the native BMW navigation. I try to go back into CarPlay by selecting the CD option, and it shows 3 tracks, when I click on any of them nothing happens, so I can’t get back into CarPlay. Is there another way to get back into CarPlay? What am I doing wrong?

Seems very buggy to me.

Thanks for all y’all’s help.
I'm guessing based off your username and the picture you posted of the rear of your idrive head unit with the extra fan connector... that you have a 2008 M3?

Did your 2008 M3 come with CCC head unit, CCC screen and CCC idrive controller?
Has it now been retrofitted with a CIC head unit, CIC screen but still has the old CCC controller?
Did you order a CIC or CCC mr12volt kit?

This is important as the CIC and CCC versions get power and tap into the controller in different ways.
I had a CCC system and retrofitted a full CIC system.
I did try the CIC system but with CCC controller and it was very cumbersome to navigate.

Issue 1: I suspect your controller "scrolling" left and right is not being picked up by the mr12volt. This is because of the mix and match components from the two systems. You'll have to do some creative repinning or just fit a CIC controller.

Issue 2: if you press and hold the menu button on your controller for a few seconds, it''ll jump back into the CarPlay interface.

If you don't want to buy a controller etc, just use your phone to load up maps/spotify etc and the CarPlay interface will just act as a second bigger screen. It is nice to not have to touch your phone though.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 07:39 PM   #1235
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Well my issues are starting to happen.

Issue 1: I can go into CarPlay apps, but then cannot scroll within or back into apps. For instance, I can select and enter into Waze, the map shows, moves around, but if I try to get out of the app or select menus or go to alternate apps there’s no “scrolling box” that hovers over various icons.for all intents and purposes I can just enter into the one app and then that’s it, no going back out unless I get out of CarPlay completely, but then see issue 2.

Issue 2: building on issue 1, I press menu on the idrive controller to exit CarPlay, now I’m in the native BMW navigation. I try to go back into CarPlay by selecting the CD option, and it shows 3 tracks, when I click on any of them nothing happens, so I can’t get back into CarPlay. Is there another way to get back into CarPlay? What am I doing wrong?

Seems very buggy to me.

Thanks for all y’all’s help.
From a previous post, it sounds like you did a CIC retrofit? All of the symptoms you describe would be related to canbus signals in some capacity. The cause here might be an issue with the CIC retrofit itself.

The idrive controller inputs are canbus in CIC, and the thing that triggers the screen cutover is when the mr12volt device is selected in the CD menu, the signal to activate the cd changer occurs over canbus, which tells the p2000 to intercept the video signal.

One thing you might try is selecting a different input on the CIC like radio, and then select the P2000 from the CD menu again. I usually hit the radio button on the cic idrive controller to go back into the CIC from the p2000 rather than the menu button.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #1236
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I don't want to push the brightness/contrast settings up too high (in the Mr12Volt settings menu) because that seems to bleach out the map views, to the point at which you cannot see streets.
This is absolutely a thing with carplay (unsure about android auto) and google maps, with the out of box settings. Streets get washed out. You need to drop the contrast a few clicks down in the p2000 menu. Contrast is set too high out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 08:40 AM   #1237
Lollo
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJO82 View Post
Only place in the US would be Bimmertech but they are pretty pricey and I think sell their MMI box also as part of it.

I had the CCC version of Mr12Volt, this screen only works with CCC units. I can sell you the last unit I have if you are keen for a decent price but you will have to pay shipping ontop.

PM me if interested.

Jojo, if you still have the screen for sale I'd be very keen (UK based) - I'd PM, but I can't because too I haven't (yet) posted enough.

Bacek88 I've got all my bits ordered, so hopefully next weekend I'll be able to let you know whether the USB-in-armrest job works as I hope.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 04:47 PM   #1238
JOJO82
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
I saw someone else mention this behavior, but in my case, my setup does not behave this way.

If I receive or make a call, it sends me over to idrive to handle the call, and switches back when completed. When it switches me over to idrive, the iphone always selects the car's bluetooth. It works flawlessly every time. I've never even had to look at it.

One variable that may explain some of the inconsistent behavior- My car is a 2012, and has bluetooth music streaming (AD2P). This was only introduced on the 2011.75+ cars, and has a different combox to enable this feature. Most cars won't have this, but it could explain some difference in call behavior between vehicles.
When I had my unit it worked in the exact same way you mentioned and I was running CCC unit as my car is 09 model.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 04:52 PM   #1239
JOJO82
Rep

Quote:
This is absolutely a thing with carplay (unsure about android auto) and google maps, with the out of box settings. Streets get washed out. You need to drop the contrast a few clicks down in the p2000 menu. Contrast is set too high out of the box.
Android auto maps do also get washed out and had to turn brightness and contrast down.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 04:54 PM   #1240
JOJO82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollo View Post
Jojo, if you still have the screen for sale I'd be very keen (UK based) - I'd PM, but I can't because too I haven't (yet) posted enough.

Bacek88 I've got all my bits ordered, so hopefully next weekend I'll be able to let you know whether the USB-in-armrest job works as I hope.
Still have the screen....have sent you a message
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #1241
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Android auto maps do also get washed out and had to turn brightness and contrast down.
No need to touch brightness to fix this, moving contrast alone a few clicks will fix it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 04:56 AM   #1242
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I wish there was a way of doing this for the maps, but have an independent adjustment for the video signal.

Probably too much of an ask...
      09-27-2022, 05:59 PM   #1243
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
I saw someone else mention this behavior, but in my case, my setup does not behave this way.

If I receive or make a call, it sends me over to idrive to handle the call, and switches back when completed. When it switches me over to idrive, the iphone always selects the car's bluetooth. It works flawlessly every time. I've never even had to look at it.

One variable that may explain some of the inconsistent behavior- My car is a 2012, and has bluetooth music streaming (AD2P). This was only introduced on the 2011.75+ cars, and has a different combox to enable this feature. Most cars won't have this, but it could explain some difference in call behavior between vehicles.
Just wanted to make the correction, that COMBOX is from 09/2010 builds (2011.5 as the forum calls it). 2011.75 is BMW Apps (6NR) change.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 08:01 PM   #1244
peteleun
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Still have the screen....have sent you a message
would be great if you can pm me as well. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 09:11 PM   #1245
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

New Mr12volt P2000 Firmware update available:

P2000 for CCC v2.7 (bmwCCC_20221019)
P2000 for CIC v2.8 (bmwCIC_20221019)

"bmwCIC_20221013 " fixed iDrive not able to find p2000 issue
"bmwCIC_20221019 " improved BT handsfree call quality, low pass frequency can be adjusted in setting now

MCU Change Log

Last edited by djan9el; 10-27-2022 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 4
      09-28-2022, 04:42 AM   #1246
netcsk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 325, e30 325, e46 m3, 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I wish there was a way of doing this for the maps, but have an independent adjustment for the video signal.

Probably too much of an ask...
I'm 90% sure there is an independent camera picture adjustment. Put the car in reverse to activate the camera; then press the drive knob to bring it up. I haven't had to mess with the settings on mine in a while so I could be misremembering or it could be different for the original CCC release.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 09:42 AM   #1247
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomanx51v View Post
I'm guessing based off your username and the picture you posted of the rear of your idrive head unit with the extra fan connector... that you have a 2008 M3?

Did your 2008 M3 come with CCC head unit, CCC screen and CCC idrive controller?
Has it now been retrofitted with a CIC head unit, CIC screen but still has the old CCC controller?
Did you order a CIC or CCC mr12volt kit?

This is important as the CIC and CCC versions get power and tap into the controller in different ways.
I had a CCC system and retrofitted a full CIC system.
I did try the CIC system but with CCC controller and it was very cumbersome to navigate.

Issue 1: I suspect your controller "scrolling" left and right is not being picked up by the mr12volt. This is because of the mix and match components from the two systems. You'll have to do some creative repinning or just fit a CIC controller.

Issue 2: if you press and hold the menu button on your controller for a few seconds, it''ll jump back into the CarPlay interface.

If you don't want to buy a controller etc, just use your phone to load up maps/spotify etc and the CarPlay interface will just act as a second bigger screen. It is nice to not have to touch your phone though.
Thanks for the feedback. I have a full CIC system, screen and controller. The issue seems to be intermittent, happened only twice of the 15 times I've driven the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 09:56 AM   #1248
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

More issues I've noticed:
1) This morning the unit "failed to connect" to CarPlay, repeatedly.
2) Intermittent crackling and popping through speakers.

Not sure if these are resolvable but given the number of issues I've had in the short few days I've had this, I would not recommend the purchase of this system to anyone on the fence, regret I did. It looks phenomenal, when it works, which is hit and miss, in my experience and therefore not worth the headaches.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 03:51 AM   #1249
eddiegordo
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by djan9el View Post
New Firmware update available:

P2000 for CCC v2.5 (bmwCCC_20220926)
P2000 for CIC v2.6 (bmwCIC_20220926)

20220926 is a major update that addresses wireless CarPlay / AA connection issue. All P2000 should apply this update.

MCU Change Log

"bmwCIC_20220926" Fixed CarPlay/AA connection issue. Added long press "Return" button to return to P2000 main menu
I'm on an older version of the firmware, do I have to update each and every step or can I update straight away to the latest one?

As in, are these incremental updates or full firmware updates?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:34 AM   #1250
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by netcsk View Post
I'm 90% sure there is an independent camera picture adjustment. Put the car in reverse to activate the camera; then press the drive knob to bring it up. I haven't had to mess with the settings on mine in a while so I could be misremembering or it could be different for the original CCC release.
Thanks - I will take a look, later today
      09-30-2022, 10:26 AM   #1251
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Update

I have just installed the latest update (so glad I located the P2000 box inside the glovebox…) but the connection only happened after I performed a reboot via the iDrive controller
      09-30-2022, 06:14 PM   #1252
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiegordo View Post
I'm on an older version of the firmware, do I have to update each and every step or can I update straight away to the latest one?

As in, are these incremental updates or full firmware updates?
Update to the latest version only. As Tony B mentioned, if problems connecting after the upgrade, reboot the P2000 by pressing and holding the iDrive controller.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 11:52 PM   #1253
fdrxseven
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335, F02 740LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by djan9el View Post
Update to the latest version only. As Tony B mentioned, if problems connecting after the upgrade, reboot the P2000 by pressing and holding the iDrive controller.
Updated to the latest firmware, and yes it needs to be reboot for firmware to refresh and kick in. Wireless connection seems much smoother now!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 12:41 PM   #1254
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

Quote:
More issues I've noticed:
1) This morning the unit "failed to connect" to CarPlay, repeatedly.
2) Intermittent crackling and popping through speakers.

Not sure if these are resolvable but given the number of issues I've had in the short few days I've had this, I would not recommend the purchase of this system to anyone on the fence, regret I did. It looks phenomenal, when it works, which is hit and miss, in my experience and therefore not worth the headaches.
They are working on a firmware update to address the popping and clipping
Appreciate 0