BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #45
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
Update from Malek: he pulled the filter and saw metal shavings but he said it was very minimal and something thats pretty rare. He's sending the filter out to get analyzed and he will have an update Tuesday. The analysis will let us know if the shavings are consistent with bearing failure or bearing wear. He said it's looking pretty good though and there's definitely a chance all I need is new bearings. I'll let everyone know what the update is on Tuesday.
I'm pretty sure your situation depends from how your crank looks like .
True but from what I got from Malek if the filter analysis comes back as bearing wear and not failure then he said that the bearing most likely didn't spin and if it didn't spin then the crank is most likely fine. Why is there knock present then I'm not sure. He said that from all the filters he's pulled from bearing failure it didn't look similar to my filter, it's an interesting case forsure but I'm not sure I'm still neutral about this whole situation. Not leaning towards engine done or engine savable yet.
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #46
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
I am pretty sure OP, nor anyone else is looking for your sympathies or approval.
But thanks anyway.
The fact that he started this thread means that he was looking for sympathy. He started the thread for people to somehow reassure him that what's going on with his engine is not a rod bearing failure.

Can anyone on this forum help him determine what's going on with his car? Anything you advise him would be pure speculation.

At the end of the day what can anyone on this forum do to help the OP. Is anyone going to help him pay for the repairs. Can anyone diagnose his car over the forum.

What can anyone here do for the op?

He modded out his car and didn't fix what everyone knows is an issue with the S65. LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #47
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
True but from what I got from Malek if the filter analysis comes back as bearing wear and not failure then he said that the bearing most likely didn't spin and if it didn't spin then the crank is most likely fine. Why is there knock present then I'm not sure. He said that from all the filters he's pulled from bearing failure it didn't look similar to my filter, it's an interesting case forsure but I'm not sure I'm still neutral about this whole situation. Not leaning towards engine done or engine savable yet.
Yeah , let us hope you are fine with just a bearing replacement . Of course Malek is the man , that's for sure

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #48
codinge90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
Quote:
I am pretty sure OP, nor anyone else is looking for your sympathies or approval.
But thanks anyway.
The fact that he started this thread means that he was looking for sympathy. He started the thread for people to somehow reassure him that what's going on with his engine is not a rod bearing failure.

Can anyone on this forum help him determine what's going on with his car? Anything you advise him would be pure speculation.

At the end of the day what can anyone on this forum do to help the OP. Is anyone going to help him pay for the repairs. Can anyone diagnose his car over the forum.

He modded out his car and didn't fix what everyone knows is an issue with the S65. LOL
Lmao this post made me laugh. I'm looking for sympathy? You need some reading comprehension skills buddy. If you re-read my original post on the 1st page you'll see that I was seeking information from others that had similar situations. I wanted to know what their outcome was from rod bearing knock. From my research if you can hear knock the engine is usually done but I wanted to know if anyone was lucky and was able to be saved and I got some valuable responses. Simply asking why I didn't change my bearings is literally a pointless response. Number one, every single thread about rod bearing issues is people asking that question and number 2 it doesn't solve anything. Everyone on this forum knows about the issue and everyone has an opinion on it. It'd be awesome if it was a simple bearing change and even Malek himself earlier today said it's a very interesting case and he has some hope it's able to be saved since I caught it right away and from inspecting the oil and filter but if the engine is blown that's it. I'm not asking people to re-assure or back me up and say it's a simple bearing job, I know the reality of this situation but you always have to look at other scenarios and get other peoples stories if they were in similar situations and their outcomes. And for your information I purchased the car with the majority of the "mods" you see on the car. I didn't drop a lot of money into it and the wrap was an investment as I have a liquid wrap company. I could care less about people's opinions on why I didn't change the bearings, the knock is present and I can't go back in time. I'm a victim of this terrible problem with the car that affects around 1% of cars, it's shitty but I'm not seeking sympathy rather seeking information about others with similar issues in the past and their outcome.
Appreciate 5
BOOF-M34448.50
Iyzmi802.00
tigermack466.00
      07-05-2018, 11:06 PM   #49
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
The fact that he started this thread means that he was looking for sympathy.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 6
codinge90321.00
BOOF-M34448.50
330ciprem228.50
shmad111.50
tigermack466.00
      07-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #50
330ciprem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3, 06 E46 330ci, 6spds

Quote:

Doctor needs a doctor.

Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      07-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #51
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
If you noticed I stopped my comments after the OP came back at me. It was pointless to say anything at that point.

However, I don't need permission to state my opinion. I haven't been rude or nasty. The fact is, he rolled the dice and it looks like he lost.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #52
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
If you noticed I stopped my comments after the OP came back at me. It was pointless to say anything at that point.

However, I don't need permission to state my opinion. I haven't been rude or nasty. The fact is, he rolled the dice and it looks like he lost.
It will be interesting when you come to this forum needing help or looking for advice one day...
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      07-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #53
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:

You’re absolutely right about the dice rolling. The OP is obviously paying for it. You also obviously didn’t come here and just state an opinion. You kicked someone when they’re down, and yeah that is rude. No where did I see the OP ask anyone for a cent, seek sympathy, or do anything that warranted an ill response. You popped a shot at him and didn’t get the response you wanted and now you want everyone to stop commenting about it - sounds like classic bully behavior.
Appreciate 9
BOOF-M34448.50
elim11423.50
codinge90321.00
Iyzmi802.00
shmad111.50
tigermack466.00
      07-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #54
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You’re absolutely right about the dice rolling. The OP is obviously paying for it. You also obviously didn’t come here and just state an opinion. You kicked someone when they’re down, and yeah that is rude. No where did I see the OP ask anyone for a cent, seek sympathy, or do anything that warranted an ill response. You popped a shot at him and didn’t get the response you wanted and now you want everyone to stop commenting about it - sounds like classic bully behavior.
Why start the thread when there is nothing that anyone one this forum can do for him. Can anyone on this forum fix his issue. I don't really care who comments.

You can see that in my other post I feel pretty strongly about getting the bearings replaced as a preventative measure. It's amazing to me that guys who are aware of the issue do nothing and when their engine fails they post about it. What good does it do at that point. It's basically wanting reassurance that his engine really didn't blow up. Maybe it didn't.

There have been individuals on this forum who states it's stupid to spend the money to replace the bearing based on 1% failure rate. I don't know how anyone would really know the true failure rate (except maybe BMW). Not so stupid when it your engine that fails.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #55
codinge90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Why start the thread when there is nothing that anyone one this forum can do for him. Can anyone on this forum fix his issue. I don't really care who comments.

You can see that in my other post I feel pretty strongly about getting the bearings replaced as a preventative measure. It's amazing to me that guys who are aware of the issue do nothing and when their engine fails they post about it. What good does it do at that point. It's basically wanting reassurance that his engine really didn't blow up. Maybe it didn't.

There have been individuals on this forum who states it's stupid to spend the money to replace the bearing based on 1% failure rate. I don't know how anyone would really know the true failure rate (except maybe BMW). Not so stupid when it your engine that fails.
Why start a thread when no one can help? That's a pretty ignorant question. I started this thread to document the journey from beginning to end. I started this thread to get input from others that have had similar problems. I started this thread to possibly get some advice from others if my engine blows or a possible rebuild is recommended. Of course no one is going to fix my car through this forums, a forum by definition is "a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." That's exactly what everyone is doing, we are talking about my issue directly, but as I mentioned on the first page whenever there is a similar thread to mine there are people like you who literally bring nothing valuable to the thread other than asking why the bearings weren't changed and that's why I said I hope people refrain from those posts since your response is literally on every single bearing post. And no shit I'm not going to get a 100% diagnosis over the forums with video and description that's why I towed my car to MRF Engineering right away. Also with your logic, why comment on my thread when there's nothing that you can do for me? Your response is hypocritical, what you're saying is when an engine goes someone posts about it and that thread is pointless and "does no good", well how is your posting on my thread doing any good lol. Everyone is in disagreement with you buddy, I'm sorry that you think your intellect is higher than it actually is and your trying to be the "Correct" one in this case. You're not the one who started this thread and no one really cares about your opinion since it's been talked about so much already on every single bearing thread. Also, no one is debating you on the bearing issue, it definitely exists and I'm paying the price. Not once did I mention that it wasn't an issue.
Appreciate 2
      07-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #56
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Dre, all anyone is saying is we are all a team on M3post. Pick a brother up rather than tear him down. It's just a healthy way to exist, regardless of if you are right or wrong.
Appreciate 8
jdamore432.50
Abdul1032.50
NoHedge67.50
PACarGuy646.00
shmad111.50
SoCalRPM885.50
      07-10-2018, 01:27 AM   #57
Abdul
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E39 M5/E92 M3/E60 M5/F80 M3

Any updates.
deansbimmer how much do you think a person can make parting out a mildly modified car with RB failure? A complete part out.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #58
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul@mpowermotorsports View Post
Any updates.
deansbimmer how much do you think a person can make parting out a mildly modified car with RB failure? A complete part out.
Impossible to say without a full inventory. Lots of variables to consider. Do you want to sell parts at blow out prices to move them fast? Sell at top dollar and sit on everything for a year? Nobody wants to buy 100k+ mile parts so they take longer to get rid of. Without a good engine you might see from 8-12k gross for everything which is a total spitball number. Deduct about 10% for shipping and selling fees.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #59
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Years ago I new a guy who couldn't sell his mustang for what he thought it was worth. Took him 6 months parting it out and made way more than what he could sell it for. I guess that's why junk yards are in business. He did have a running vehicle however so it's a big difference in scenarios.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #60
codinge90
Banned
Rep

Update #2: Malek pulled the oil pan and found that none of the bearings spun. They were severely damaged but nothing spun. He looked at the crank, pistons, cylinder walls and nothing was damaged. He looked at the main bearings and they looked fine. He said usually when main bearings start failing you will see a blue hue to them and he did not see that upon inspection. He said I am very lucky and to buy a lottery ticket lol he will be proceeding with a bearing change. I will post a picture of my bearings they look terrible lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by codinge90; 07-10-2018 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 10
      07-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #61
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Quote:
Update #2: Malek pulled the oil pan and found that none of the bearings spun. They were severely damaged but nothing spun. He looked at the crank, pistons, cylinder walls and nothing was damaged. He looked at the main bearings and they looked fine. He said usually when main bearings start failing you will see a blue hue to them and he did not see that upon inspection. He said I am very lucky and to buy a lottery ticket lol he will be proceeding with a bearing change. I will post a picture of my bearings they look terrible lol.
Pic is too small...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #62
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Good to hear. That must be a relief!
Appreciate 1
codinge90321.00
      07-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #63
sirploppy
5 Star General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

That is good news! Glad you caught it in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Dre, all anyone is saying is we are all a team on M3post. Pick a brother up rather than tear him down. It's just a healthy way to exist, regardless of if you are right or wrong.
Not to draw out this thread tangent, but this is the first thing that popped in my head reading that discussion.

Appreciate 1
codinge90321.00
      07-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #64
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Good news!! Glad to hear it.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #65
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Your bearings look like 5H1T ! From your comment your situation is caught on time ...
Malek is the man !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
codinge90321.00
      07-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #66
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

You might be the first I have seen here with that happen and not have a blown motor. You def won the lottery even if you had this happen. Its the best possible outcome. Im happy for you man! Hope its not too expensive to put her back together at this point.

On a side note, I do like the color as well. Nicely done wrap.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 07-10-2018 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
codinge90321.00