BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #67
M3SWEETNESS
Watch This!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Hey a little late but oddly enough I'm stock height. I wish I could lower the car but due to the carbon lips I run ... I don't want to keep killing more then needed (on 4th lip @400 a piece).
As far as the 35 series.. It just slightly to tall. I've run 35 series on other brands just fine but these rub the liner when turning. I'm oddly enough switching to the 30 series right now. I don't know if you'll be ok with 265s but the 275s width is at 10.9 and 26.6 tall... The 265s in the 35 series is 10.5 width and 26.3 tall... Stock height I would think you'd bearly clear lowered would be a gamble I wouldn't take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicog View Post
@M3SWEETNESS is it cause youre lowered that the 35 in the front rub ? im planning to go 265/35/19 in the front and wanna make sure i wont rub with this tires and the 295 in the back its ok?

Last edited by M3SWEETNESS; 04-05-2017 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #68
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Going to buy these soon as my MPSS will need to be changed.

As of today (4/14/17) they are $604.62 after the mail in rebate from TireRack.

Screaming deal IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 03:46 AM   #69
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Man I'm barely 5k miles in my new pss but at $605 for a complete set I might cave in and store them until my pss reach 20-25k miles
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 03:08 AM   #70
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

Followed the recommendations here in this thread [THX] as well as those over at m3forum.net and went with the PS91 for my E92 M3 (front axle for now - 245/35/19). No regrets - full recommendation!

My E92 came with a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx Race in 245 + 265/35/19 on M359s when I bought it - and these obviously come in Mercedes Compound only. The tires had some life left in them, but the front ones were pretty shot from track use by the previous owner. I couldn't get the pressure right for the tire to work with the car and despite holding up quite okay on my first track day, I was not able to gain any confidence in the front tires.

As I was planning to embark on a 1500 mile trip to Austria to catch up with my friends at VW Woerthersee meet, I decided to give the Kumho a try - mostly in order to avoid running into any issues with the particular Police mentality, that one can encounter only at WSee or H2Oi, and my tire condition...

After an easy sprint over German and Austrian Autobahn and some cruising at WSee, the tire had already left a good first impression. After I began to push the car more and more, the tires started to perform really well, even at higher temperatures.
The Dunlop used to follow grooves quite massively (especially when cold), but the Kumho hardly does so. The Dunlop nearly being a Semi might have had some more potential - but I've been pushing the Kumho extensively now, and couldn't come close to see any limit.
I like how I can position the car same - if not better - with the Kumho's now. Corner speed is really good, and that's where the run down Dunlops were lacking that last bit confidence. The Kumho is less sensitive to the tire pressure used, I had to run the Dunlops with less pressure to get them to work decently - but this logically added the issue of the car being "spongy" at the beginning of every stint/drive. The Kumho is way better in the wet and to my ears, a little bit quieter.

For the price I paid, the performance of the Kumho is outstanding in my humble opinion. Once the rear Dunlops are gone (will be soon ), I will try the Kumho on that axle as well.

P.S.: running KU39s in 19" on my E39 - and they are a very good budget alternative there as well! I used to run a lot of Hankook's on my earlier cars, but also used to drive recent Bridgestones, cheap rubber-band like Nankangs, high-price Michelin, and Dunlop on E46 and Toyota Auris etc. Both sets of Kumhos have made me consider their tires more and more often.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 03:36 AM   #71
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerEisbaer View Post
Followed the recommendations here in this thread [THX] as well as those over at m3forum.net and went with the PS91 for my E92 M3 (front axle for now - 245/35/19). No regrets - full recommendation!

My E92 came with a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx Race in 245 + 265/35/19 on M359s when I bought it - and these obviously come in Mercedes Compound only. The tires had some life left in them, but the front ones were pretty shot from track use by the previous owner. I couldn't get the pressure right for the tire to work with the car and despite holding up quite okay on my first track day, I was not able to gain any confidence in the front tires.

As I was planning to embark on a 1500 mile trip to Austria to catch up with my friends at VW Woerthersee meet, I decided to give the Kumho a try - mostly in order to avoid running into any issues with the particular Police mentality, that one can encounter only at WSee or H2Oi, and my tire condition...

After an easy sprint over German and Austrian Autobahn and some cruising at WSee, the tire had already left a good first impression. After I began to push the car more and more, the tires started to perform really well, even at higher temperatures.
The Dunlop used to follow grooves quite massively (especially when cold), but the Kumho hardly does so. The Dunlop nearly being a Semi might have had some more potential - but I've been pushing the Kumho extensively now, and couldn't come close to see any limit.
I like how I can position the car same - if not better - with the Kumho's now. Corner speed is really good, and that's where the run down Dunlops were lacking that last bit confidence. The Kumho is less sensitive to the tire pressure used, I had to run the Dunlops with less pressure to get them to work decently - but this logically added the issue of the car being "spongy" at the beginning of every stint/drive. The Kumho is way better in the wet and to my ears, a little bit quieter.

For the price I paid, the performance of the Kumho is outstanding in my humble opinion. Once the rear Dunlops are gone (will be soon ), I will try the Kumho on that axle as well.

P.S.: running KU39s in 19" on my E39 - and they are a very good budget alternative there as well! I used to run a lot of Hankook's on my earlier cars, but also used to drive recent Bridgestones, cheap rubber-band like Nankangs, high-price Michelin, and Dunlop on E46 and Toyota Auris etc. Both sets of Kumhos have made me consider their tires more and more often.
Just ordered a set of 265s for the rear as well. Will keep you posted once mounted and driven a few miles.

They were EUR 250.00 for two of them, including mounting/balancing etc.; without mounting I could get them for around 105EUR each, which was like the 4th or 5th cheapest tire in 265/35/19 over-all - hence no harm if I burn them off quickly
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 04:43 AM   #72
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Just ordered a set of 265s for the rear as well. Will keep you posted once mounted and driven a few miles.

They were EUR 250.00 for two of them, including mounting/balancing etc.; without mounting I could get them for around 105EUR each, which was like the 4th or 5th cheapest tire in 265/35/19 over-all - hence no harm if I burn them off quickly
Okay, have been running the Kumhos in the back now for nearly 2 month and 3000kms, including a trip through Austrian&Italian alps (approx. 2000kms). The 245s up front are now mounted for approx. 11tkm / 15 month.

During that time, the PS91 really impressed me. For me, it is the perfect combination of value & performance.

What I realised:

- the PS91 is - despite my earlier statement - aso quite delicate when it comes to tire pressure, I'm running the OEM 2.6 / 3 bar and the tire works very well with that, but is indirect if the pressure falls thereunder, especially in the front;
- when the car sat for longer, slight vibrations from the tires appeared; Now, that the rear has been driven for a while, these get less and less, so be careful in the first weeks I would say

The rear is very stable, even in the wet. I only once was able to provoke the rear tires to really "smear" and slip due to heat in the tires, and that was while driving very hard. The front is really stable, haven't been able to overwhelm the tires in any normal/ sporty driving situation. Only in cases where I really f***ed up, the tires really lost grip.

The PS91 for me is more reliable & predictable than the run-down Dunlop SportMaxx Race my E92 came on. It reacts very well to hot and wet conditions - a good compromise. It may not have the grip level of a PS4S or similar, but it still offers a lot of grip, far more than any regular street tire I would say. I like the feedback it gives, the predictability, how well rounded the whole package seems. Full recommendation from my end.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 03:20 AM   #73
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Yeah that must be why they're a huge OEM supplier of tires with over $3.5B in revenue.

That's a ridiculous blanket statement. Go read the test results and owner reviews on Tire Rack's site. They make plenty of good tires, plenty of mediocre tires, and plenty of bad tires...just like all the other manufacturers.

Can we get back on topic now? I was curious for OP to provide an update on how the tires have held up, and if he had taken them to the track. If I want opinions on the Kumho brand, I'll ask for them.
Kumho V710s were great for races with regulations for "radial tires" because technically they weren't slicks. Now most races ban them because

07-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #74
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I used that tire in spec Miata before spec tires. Great tire. Gone but not forgotten
      08-20-2020, 12:53 AM   #75
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Okay, have been running the Kumhos in the back now for nearly 2 month and 3000kms, including a trip through Austrian&Italian alps (approx. 2000kms). The 245s up front are now mounted for approx. 11tkm / 15 month.

During that time, the PS91 really impressed me. For me, it is the perfect combination of value & performance.

What I realised:

- the PS91 is - despite my earlier statement - aso quite delicate when it comes to tire pressure, I'm running the OEM 2.6 / 3 bar and the tire works very well with that, but is indirect if the pressure falls thereunder, especially in the front;
- when the car sat for longer, slight vibrations from the tires appeared; Now, that the rear has been driven for a while, these get less and less, so be careful in the first weeks I would say

The rear is very stable, even in the wet. I only once was able to provoke the rear tires to really "smear" and slip due to heat in the tires, and that was while driving very hard. The front is really stable, haven't been able to overwhelm the tires in any normal/ sporty driving situation. Only in cases where I really f***ed up, the tires really lost grip.

The PS91 for me is more reliable & predictable than the run-down Dunlop SportMaxx Race my E92 came on. It reacts very well to hot and wet conditions - a good compromise. It may not have the grip level of a PS4S or similar, but it still offers a lot of grip, far more than any regular street tire I would say. I like the feedback it gives, the predictability, how well rounded the whole package seems. Full recommendation from my end.
Going on another trip to the Alps, Austria and Slovenia this time.

Tires are getting old - will provide a full follow-up report after return again
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #76
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Going on another trip to the Alps, Austria and Slovenia this time.

Tires are getting old - will provide a full follow-up report after return again
Okay, took me some time - but finally changed to winter tyres Early December.

PS91 on the Front (245/35/19) were now installed for 2.5 years & rather exactly 20,000-21,000 kms - and were done on the inner side. Camber is not too much, but will have to have another look at the toe. Got an alignment after the KW coilover sleeves had been installed - but yeah.
Nevertheless, the PS91 held up great, even being really close to showing some wire...
Got two new ones at a great price (250€ mounted for both), learned which tyre shop to avoid in the future (... my blood pressure spiked big time, when they started to mount them using a tire-iron without any protection on the 359s). Looking forward to get another great value out of them.

On the back the 265/35/19s are now installed for approx 14,000 kms and I hope they last me another 1500-2000kms - maximum But well, the back slides quite often lately - but on purpose. The PS91 is holding up great, even as close to being worn out as they are now. Will get another set of them for the back as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 12:13 AM   #77
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Finally drove these tires on track. I usually run RE71R in 265/35-18 and 285/30/18. Had these packed up and daily PS91's on 255/35-19 and 285/35-19 for the last session so I could pack up and leave right after the last session for the day.

There's a DEFINETE drop off in the PS91, as expected but I almost spun while taking it easy in one turn. The fronts were pretty good (38psi post session), but the rear's couldn't hook up well at all. The rear pressures were 41psi when I came off track after 3 labs. Came in early because I wanted to go home in one piece. They're fine for the streets but not sure about a track tire. Mine are a little old at around 2 years too.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:24 AM   #78
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Finally drove these tires on track. I usually run RE71R in 265/35-18 and 285/30/18. Had these packed up and daily PS91's on 255/35-19 and 285/35-19 for the last session so I could pack up and leave right after the last session for the day.

There's a DEFINETE drop off in the PS91, as expected but I almost spun while taking it easy in one turn. The fronts were pretty good (38psi post session), but the rear's couldn't hook up well at all. The rear pressures were 41psi when I came off track after 3 labs. Came in early because I wanted to go home in one piece. They're fine for the streets but not sure about a track tire. Mine are a little old at around 2 years too.
Those pressures are way too high. At least aim for the stock pressures when hot to keep it safe.

I did the opposite and went out in the morning with a cold track (50F) and the tires held up pretty well. It's a trackable tire, but definitely better for the street.
      10-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #79
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Those pressures are way too high. At least aim for the stock pressures when hot to keep it safe.

I did the opposite and went out in the morning with a cold track (50F) and the tires held up pretty well. It's a trackable tire, but definitely better for the street.
Agree. I dropped the pressures before going out but it was a pretty hot day so the rears got higher than I anticipated.
I also ran them one session a few months ago at the same track but it was in the low 40's and damp and had a tank slapper at the EXACT same corner where I almost spun in 94 degree heat while taking it easy both times.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0