BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

02-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
jinuwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 GTS / E71 X6 35i

Help: Broken Fender/Bumper Clip

Anybody know if this can be fixed without replacing the whole fender? Both sides have cracked where the bumper connects to the fender. It looks like the bumper guide(?) is broken and needs to be either glued back together and repainted or replaced entirely. The plastic clip that holds the bumper screws is also stripped... Anybody know the part #s for these parts?

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Could this be the one? 51117900761

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/51117900761/
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
famm3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If the whole bracket is cracked or coming off, the fender needs to be replaced since it all is one part connecting to the bumper. Had similar issue with my car and was told to replace the whole fender by body shops that specialize in fixing BMWs..but after taking it to an independent body shop he was able to bond it really well
Appreciate 1
jinuwin51.50
      02-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
jinuwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 GTS / E71 X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by famm3 View Post
If the whole bracket is cracked or coming off, the fender needs to be replaced since it all is one part connecting to the bumper. Had similar issue with my car and was told to replace the whole fender by body shops that specialize in fixing BMWs..but after taking it to an independent body shop he was able to bond it really well
Thanks for chiming in. I had a feeling it was all one piece. I'm also going to drop it off at an indy shop Tuesday to do the same. Both fender brackets are cracked and I'm not down to pay for 2 brand new fenders plus paint lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
famm3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinuwin View Post
Thanks for chiming in. I had a feeling it was all one piece. I'm also going to drop it off at an indy shop Tuesday to do the same. Both fender brackets are cracked and I'm not down to pay for 2 brand new fenders plus paint lol.
Yeah some body shops really want you to spend 2,000+ for a problem that can be done for 500
good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:30 AM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

it does look like the clip piece that was posted from ecs tuning.

i think you should take your bumper off and take a look. it isn't very hard. in fact, the damage you have looks like someone tried to take off the bumper without unscrewing the screws inside the fender liner that hold the bumper under the headlight.
      06-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
benjaminman
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

Hey Guys, This exact thing happened to me the other day when I accidentily pulled to close to curb and when backing out it pulled the bumper back and broke the connector from the fender to the bumper. Can I ask what specifically the repair that was done was? And if it lasted? I know that they suggest replacing fender but this cost INCREASE is dramatic let alone repainting to match original paint.
Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Attached Images

Last edited by benjaminman; 06-14-2018 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: added pic
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #8
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminman View Post
Hey Guys, This exact thing happened to me the other day when I accidentily pulled to close to curb and when backing out it pulled the bumper back and broke the connector from the fender to the bumper. Can I ask what specifically the repair that was done was? And if it lasted? I know that they suggest replacing fender but this cost INCREASE is dramatic let alone repainting to match original paint.
Thanks guys!

Cheers,
There's many ways I've seen it fixed. The most secure one I've seen is a body shop installed a metal piece behind the fender bracket and attached it to the broken piece to pull it up and installed it again. Depending on how bad the break is, it may be salvageable. Post up some pics.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
benjaminman
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
There's many ways I've seen it fixed. The most secure one I've seen is a body shop installed a metal piece behind the fender bracket and attached it to the broken piece to pull it up and installed it again. Depending on how bad the break is, it may be salvageable. Post up some pics.
Interesting. The break is quite bad and goes almost the whole way. It also broke off part of the plastic part that conceals the corner part of fender closest to tire. Plus bent the fender just above the headlight! I wonder how they instal the metal piece behind the fender...I may have to find a INDY in my area that can help with this cause re-painting is last resort....

Here are a couple pics. Worst part this is my first M3 and I just registered it this week
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
Tewie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP Melbourne/FoxRed

JB Weld or any other really durable 2 part epoxy will work. A BMW tech friend of mine told me this is somewhat common with these lightweight fenders. You would probably get the best results if you removed the front bumper cover before applying epoxy so it's not pulling the fender apart. I have done this on my car once, though I don't think it was cracked nearly as bad as yours. Just cake it on to the rear side of the fender and make sure some gets in the crack. Be sure to wipe off excess if any ends up on the outer painted surface. This picture was my fender about 2 years ago before I used JB Weld and now you can't even tell it looked like that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 11:55 PM   #11
gillara
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Comp

This just happened to me! This is definitely an old post, but like to know how this was resolved! thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:09 AM   #12
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Buy a new fender
Appreciate 1