BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #89
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Doubt it will fail though. I still feel that if you want to move away from BMW...then Mercedes C350 is a better buy than this.

Mercedes has the best, and highest quality interior of any car I've been in. Pure luxury. Unfortunately, it drives like a Mercedes
This clearly shows that your review is what is actually rubbish...you have no idea what you're talking about. The interior's in the C-class are ridiculously cheap and don't even sniff luxury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Oh boy...LofT is getting personal.

Apologies buddy, I'm not going to engage in name calling. I reviewed the S4 and compared it to BMW and found it to be subpar, deal with it. Don't try to convince this board.

As far as joy goes, I feel pleasure when I drive my 335 based on the feel for road and curves I get...I did not get this with the S4. In summary, the S4 just didn't make the cut. I explained why I came to this conclusion; you're throwing profanities around like a child -- its nice entertainment.

I have a 60-40 rear split, and it def DOES NOT feel like RWD, as I used to own one.

Btw, I don't know what the prevailing ideology in California is -- but I don't treat everything as equal...there are better cars by the parameters I have defined (BMW, Porsche) and there are subpar cars by the parameters I defined (Audi, Merc, Lexus) -- I refuse to come out saying they are all equal to appease your emotions. I'd figure an American would appreciate this of all people.

Anyways bud, enjoy your car, it has a beaut engine no doubt (love the no lag) -- no one has time for nonsense like this. Cheers.
Shocking!

You reviewed a car in the same class against a car that you actually bought. I can't believe you didn't rave over the S4 and trade your 335 immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
This review is rubbish.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
Small yellow schoolbus special.

Many people have turned the BMW brand into a joke. Having what used to be an entry-level "luxury" German car gives them a god complex.
+100

Last edited by Cdnrockies; 04-26-2010 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #90
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Sorry I disagree. I prefer S4 interior of e90/e92 or Audi interior in general.

Quote:
Interior: Rubbish...this is the KEY here...the interior was rubbish. It felt like a souped up rally car. The leather was dull, the interior was dreary, depressing in hues of black, and grey...I felt like I was in a cemetary as compared to my cream beige BMW. The plastic felt cheap -- the worst part: the thin, cheap feeling steering wheel, reminded me of a Honda/Acura. The interior DID NOT feel like a luxury car. It reminded me of infiniti. Overall, its at the same quality level as infiniti/Acura.
I felt the same way about BMW when I first test drive the E90/E92 comparison with E46. But that's just the way cars are these days unless you go up model in midsize luxury car. On one hand people complain the 3600+ heft on the other hand they say plastic is too thin.

One of the problem with reviews is when reviewer becomes so use to what they have they lose the objectivity. There's a difference between what you are use to versus how things are suppose to be.

Last edited by Robert; 04-26-2010 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #91
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Here is what the BMW fanBOY's on here remind me of.

Wind em' up for endless chatter. Repeat.

"Hey, what are you doing to that tailpipe fanBOY" "That could cause a serious burn"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #92
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Here is what the BMW fanBOY's on here remind me of.

Wind em' up for endless chatter. Repeat.

"Hey, what are you doing to that tailpipe fanBOY" "That could cause a serious burn"
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #93
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Good grief this thread sucks. As do many of the people posting in it.

Some days I'm embarrassed to drive a BMW, reading threads like this. I thought the Subaru FanBoi's were bad. Y'all need to grow the hell up and STFU.
      04-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #94
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post

+100
guy, thats sarcasm.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #95
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Hmm, so the S4 interior is "rubbish" with no luxury and that reminds you of Infiniti/Acura? So BMW is the only "luxury" brand is it? I guess those poor japs just don't know how to build a real "driver's" car, eh?

OP is a typical BMW douchebag...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #96
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

Having driven an S4 I'm inclined to say the exact opposite! The interior was fantastic IMO BMW designs some dull interiors for the 3. Also, I liked the materials. Must be a matter of taste, but rubbish is definitely too harsh.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #97
Top_Gear_Fan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
Lol. I can see the spiked greasy hair, ed hardy shirt, embroidered jeans, and jewelry when you come out of your 3 series fist pumping thinking you're all that for owning a BMW. A 3 series is in the entry level luxury category and in PA, maybe it's a bit better than the average, but in California they are a dime a dozen. There are as many 3 series here as Honda accords. Mostly 325 / 328's with bare bone options, leased, because people just want the brand image. In the LA Times, an editor mentions how the e92 coupe is the defacto minimum if you want to appear successful in the entertainment industry. That is why you see them every where. People don't buy these cars for performance, but rather image. It's your elitist attitude that gives BMW drivers such a bad rap.
Are you referring to this?
[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ybu54JX9MUY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ybu54JX9MUY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

This guy, Dan Neil, is such a moron. He describes the 335i's engine by saying it pulls like a reindeer. If you watch his other reviews, like the one for the CLK Black, all he does is talk about it for like less than a minute and then proceeds to do donuts the rest of the video. In his review of the Ferrari 599, he calls it a real "meat missle". Please... don't take what he says seriously. This is hardly a basis to back up the statement that people buy BMWs for image.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #98
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by domobrown View Post
Having driven an S4 I'm inclined to say the exact opposite! The interior was fantastic IMO BMW designs some dull interiors for the 3. Also, I liked the materials. Must be a matter of taste, but rubbish is definitely too harsh.
AGREE 100%

The op is crazy to say the 335i interior is nicer than the new S4.

I drove a new S4 with carbon fiber interior and optional alcantara inserts. The car was absolutely stunning inside.

Even the M3 interior pales in comparison to the new S4 interior.

Either the OP has a huge bias or he actually didn't drive a S4. I call B.S.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:43 AM   #99
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
After reading the original post by The Rox I can only come to the conclusion that the testdrive was around the block and never above 40.

In all honestly how could you come to such a conclusion like that?

For a start, the engine in the S4 is a masterpiece in comparison, it's lag free, revs completely free of dips or peaks and is creamy smooth from tickover to the redline. Next is the steering, it's not a Lotus Elise we are talking about but a family saloon, it's dull but no worse than your 335. Ride quality is in a different league to the runflats 335 and it's DSG again is superior to that of the M3, with none of it's issue. Next is the handling, when combined with the Sportsdiff you have something that resists understeer and when pushed will oversteer at the tail end of the corner, admittedly you have to be really pushing to achieve this but on the public roads you want to be in complete control don't you.

Styling on the inside and out are objective and while I agree that the exterior isn't as adventurous as it could have been it is not without some nice touches, like the quad pipes, chromed mirrors and different grill but on the inside those unique features really stand out, like the seats, the steering wheel, the gauges and all the other items that are badged 'S4' on them to remind you that you are in something a little different an a stock A4. In the 335 you could be sat in any other 3 series, so where is the excitement there.

As for the ease of tuning between engines, the S4 is a new car in comparison and given time I am sure you will be able to do as much as has been done to the N54.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #100
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
AGREE 100%

The op is crazy to say the 335i interior is nicer than the new S4.

I drove a new S4 with carbon fiber interior and optional alcantara inserts. The car was absolutely stunning inside.

Even the M3 interior pales in comparison to the new S4 interior.

Either the OP has a huge bias or he actually didn't drive a S4. I call B.S.
Actually the alcantara inserts, oddly enough, are standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #101
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
After reading the original post by The Rox I can only come to the conclusion that the testdrive was around the block and never above 40.

In all honestly how could you come to such a conclusion like that?

For a start, the engine in the S4 is a masterpiece in comparison, it's lag free, revs completely free of dips or peaks and is creamy smooth from tickover to the redline. Next is the steering, it's not a Lotus Elise we are talking about but a family saloon, it's dull but no worse than your 335. Ride quality is in a different league to the runflats 335 and it's DSG again is superior to that of the M3, with none of it's issue. Next is the handling, when combined with the Sportsdiff you have something that resists understeer and when pushed will oversteer at the tail end of the corner, admittedly you have to be really pushing to achieve this but on the public roads you want to be in complete control don't you.

Styling on the inside and out are objective and while I agree that the exterior isn't as adventurous as it could have been it is not without some nice touches, like the quad pipes, chromed mirrors and different grill but on the inside those unique features really stand out, like the seats, the steering wheel, the gauges and all the other items that are badged 'S4' on them to remind you that you are in something a little different an a stock A4. In the 335 you could be sat in any other 3 series, so where is the excitement there.

As for the ease of tuning between engines, the S4 is a new car in comparison and given time I am sure you will be able to do as much as has been done to the N54.
agree 110%! good to see others here who don't have their heads stuck up their bimmer arses.
      04-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #102
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynnpa View Post
The S4 is a tarted up Jetta.
Thank you for saving my time. The less posts I have to read, the better. It's nice when people disqualify themselves from the conversation immediately, allowing me to move on to the posts with substance.

OP's comparo is an E90 335xi vs the new S4.... Handling shouldn't even be comparable. I know in my spirited drive of the S4, it felt very competent (felt at least as good as my 335i ZSP w/ PS2 shoes), and that was in perfect weather, no snow, no ice, no mud.... Considering the stock xi vs my i is a noticeable difference (xi w/ stock suspension + A/S = lose, big time), I apply the transitive property of handling to determine there's no way a stock xi sedan will touch the S4. Especially with the sport diff thrown in there. Now, if you throw some shoes on the xi, and some suspension, then maybe.... But stock.... Sorry. The stock xi only wins at 20MPH in a straight line over potholes. Or the Rubicon trail.

It's ok to be subjective. Just don't get your opinion confused with "fact" or even "common knowledge". You must have expected people to challenge your claim that the S4 was "rubbish" (which you don't support at all in your post anyway), as well as the claim that the E90xi handles better (xi or i x-drive).

FWIW, the interior is completely subjective. I have grown incredibly bored with my interior in my 08 E90. I can't even imagine what it must be like without i-Drive for anyone who *gasp* wears polarized sunglasses while driving. You can't even see the display without removing them. I like the Audi's interior better, but that is just my opinion. People will argue either side of the issue there, but at least there's a reasonable split in opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #103
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Which looks the more special?
This

or this

I rest my case.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #104
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

THe S5 I drove had an incredible interior. I quite like the 3-series interior (especially in M3 livery) but its not as nice as the S5 IMO. I also think that Acura and Infiniti make some pretty nice interiors too (have you sat in the new M56 with the premium lux package????).
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #105
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Because it is a Ford, I demand this interior become rubbish in the eyes of this board. If you deny my wishes you shall be damned to hell.
Don't even get me started on how much rubbish the car itself is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #106
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
I rest my case.
Yeah but there'll always be arguments about which interior is better.... These are the same people that think it's ok to bring back '80s style FFS. If that's possible, then it's also possible to think that the BMW's interior is "better".

Handling and "feel" (unless you enjoy Queen Mary body roll) should be a much more open-and-shut case here. Yes, the pedals and steering are slightly better in the "feel" department for the BMW (moreso in the "i" variant), but the Audi definitely inspired me to push it harder and faster, and I'm sure it wasn't purely illusionary.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #107
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Because it is a Ford, I demand this interior become rubbish in the eyes of this board. If you deny my wishes you shall be damned to hell.
Utter and complete rubbish. I can't believe Ford would even think about trying to make a car that would try to compare with the 335, let alone the barely street-legal race car that is the M3.

What were they thinking?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #108
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I love this example, a truly beautiful interior. Though it's a shame that the only time when Ford and other mainstream lowly brand get their interiors to look this good is when they hark back to the past and mimic a previous icon.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #109
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Love the placement of the speedo.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #110
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
I love this example, a truly beautiful interior. Though it's a shame that the only time when Ford and other mainstream lowly brand get their interiors to look this good is when they hark back to the past and mimic a previous icon.
There's a difference between capability and what's offered. Some company position themselves in the lower segment because either that segment is more profitable or given the current firm's infrastructure and capital outlay that segment makes more sense. Not necessary the firm is incapable of producing quality product. The mistake in American auto company is they snoozed and misjudged the consumer's demand. They thought by offering boring, low quality, non esthetically pleasing models was sufficient to meet demand.

As BMW grows and expanding in volume it is finding itself forced to expand into other segment, hence the 1 series, mini and potentially the zero series to increase revenue or profit to meet shareholder demands. Who expects year over year growth of the company. To meet that, BMW will need to expand production volume and may end up trapping themselves in building cheaper, lower quality vehicle to minimize the cost from economy of scale. More models will share the same platform, drive train, and motor, which in some people's eyes dilutes the brand. I don't believe that is in any way saying BMW is no longer a capable company.

Last edited by Robert; 04-27-2010 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0