BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #1
Steadyliving
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i / 2015 M5 (sold)

N63 - Failed Engine - Waiting for replacement 7.5 mo

I have a 2012 BMW 650i, which I purchased used from Momentum BMW in Houston, TX back in Dec 2017. Fortunately, I purchased an extended warranty for that "just in case" security since the car had roughly 54K miles on it. The car was driven for about 4K miles before I took it in for some service light issues I kept getting - drive train, tire pressure, etc. They tell me the oil gasket has to be replaced and perform that service. The very next day I get my car back and start to hear a odd ticking sound when decelerating, around 3000 RPMs. Over the next 2 days that sound grew in intensity and I decided to drive the car over to the dealership - by the time I pulled up to the dealership the car knock was so loud that the SA asked me to turn if off immediately. He grabbed a veteran tech and had me turn on the car, and he immediately asked me to turn it off. He was certain it was failed engine and required a replacement.

7.5 MONTHS LATER....

My car is still sitting in the shop. I have been making payments on the car loan and I still have no ETA on a replacement engine. I have escalated with BMW of NA and they claim that since my car was part of the class action lawsuit, I have no recourse for action and they cannot do anything outside of the court ordered reparations - as a result I just have to wait.

I have owned several of their cars over the years and even motorcycles. I've been a die hard BMW fan the majority of my life. The lack of communications from BMW on replacement engines is a clear example of how company failures extend beyond their piss-poor engineering on these motors.

I'm chucking the deuce on BMW.
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Stories like yours make me extra thankful we have consumer laws to protect against that sort of treatment. That sort of timeframe they should be totalling the car and cutting you a cheque.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      11-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Too bad the car is to old for the lemon law to apply. Though I think BMW is required to give you a service loaner while you wait for your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadyliving View Post
I have a 2012 BMW 650i, which I purchased used from Momentum BMW in Houston, TX back in Dec 2017. Fortunately, I purchased an extended warranty for that "just in case" security since the car had roughly 54K miles on it. The car was driven for about 4K miles before I took it in for some service light issues I kept getting - drive train, tire pressure, etc. They tell me the oil gasket has to be replaced and perform that service. The very next day I get my car back and start to hear a odd ticking sound when decelerating, around 3000 RPMs. Over the next 2 days that sound grew in intensity and I decided to drive the car over to the dealership - by the time I pulled up to the dealership the car knock was so loud that the SA asked me to turn if off immediately. He grabbed a veteran tech and had me turn on the car, and he immediately asked me to turn it off. He was certain it was failed engine and required a replacement.

7.5 MONTHS LATER....

My car is still sitting in the shop. I have been making payments on the car loan and I still have no ETA on a replacement engine. I have escalated with BMW of NA and they claim that since my car was part of the class action lawsuit, I have no recourse for action and they cannot do anything outside of the court ordered reparations - as a result I just have to wait.

I have owned several of their cars over the years and even motorcycles. I've been a die hard BMW fan the majority of my life. The lack of communications from BMW on replacement engines is a clear example of how company failures extend beyond their piss-poor engineering on these motors.

I'm chucking the deuce on BMW.
Did you opt in or opt out of the lawsuit (some class actions lawsuits have one option, other the reverse)? If you did not join or chose to leave the lawsuit, then the lawsuit is irrelevant and they should be replacing your engine under the extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

Here are three engines for sale from one seller. Buy one and drive the car again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BMW-N63...5.c10#viTabs_0
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I’d sue the selling dealer - get a lawyer.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMljRGC0eBJrxbUorWEnasg
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 09:08 AM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I really think you should pay for at least a consultation with an experienced class action counsel. I have my doubts that what BMW is telling you is correct. Most of the cars in the class action are long out of warranty so the court remedy is the only recourse. But you bought and paid for a contract to cover this. What if the court remedy is $500 and an oil pressure test? What if it is to replace timing chains? What good will that do you? Plus, who has even determined that your cause of failure is the same as the cause in the suit? This is nonsense. Who did you buy the warranty from? If it's with a 3d party warranty co you bought from directly, then you may be on less solid footing, but if the dealer sold it to you, and particularly if they sold it to you after the suit was filed, you can make some noise with that. But get an opinion, and a letter from the lawyer if the news is good.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Have you read the terms of your warranty? How does it handle this kind of circumstance - where parts or the repair takes an extended period of time?

7.5 months is just WAY, WAY, WAY beyond a reasonable period to be waiting on a resolution. Normally things start getting ugly when you pass a 30 day repair period... you're now beyond half a year. If you didn't explicitly participate (opt in or out) of the class action suit, I don't see any relevance for you. You purchased an extended warranty - that underwriter is now responsible for an acceptable (and timely) repair of the vehicle... which you're clearly not getting.

I'd be on the phone with the warranty provider pushing for a resolution. If that doesn't get you anywhere, I'd get some advice from a lawyer. This is just totally unacceptable. You've basically had your car inoperable for the MAJORITY of the time you've owned it, and there's not even an ETA on repairing it. Unreal.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 07:42 PM   #9
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

What warranty company was it?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 10:18 PM   #10
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Pretty crazy I got my engine within a day they had 19 in stock even though it's n63tu you have extended warranty and they shoulda move faster
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #11
zanye08
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650I Coupe Imola Red

I have been waiting for 3 months. His issue has nothing to do with Warranty company. There are no N63 non TU in stock. Backordered everywhere...7.5 months seems long though.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 10:32 PM   #12
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Why don't they just salvage the car or give you a N63tu? There has to be a resolution or reimbursement.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:14 PM   #13
zanye08
Private
United_States
Rep

Who knows what BMW will end up doing?..if more N63 die and the wait list gets longer BMW may just start doing that. Warranty company is obligated to replace engine in contract, but someone may start putting pressure on BMW to start producing these engines forcing them to act..
N63TU would be a huge swap BMW certainly wont do it..
Anyway not sure any of us will be better off..seems to be just as many N63TU biting the dust
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:16 PM   #14
zanye08
Private
United_States
Rep

By the way my BMW dealership had me in loaners for two months and now BMW corporate is paying for a rental indefinitely with Enterprise...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:38 PM   #15
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

I thought the n63tu engine was exactly the same as the n63 engine but with just "technical updates" (hence TU), and some strengthening of some of the parts, similar to the customer care campaign that the n63 program had. Thus, it would seem that it would actually cost BMW less to put an n63tu engine in there since they're currently producing those verses a n63 engine, which I believe is out of production.

I think someone is just sleeping on the job and your file is just getting shat on...I meant sat on, Freudian typo. I can't believe they have you in some ordinary old $15,000 rental. What a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 08:02 AM   #16
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

It's not a direct swap I don't think. Other things are different besides just the internals of the engine. You can tell just by opening the hood which engine a car has because things are located in different places.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #17
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
I thought the n63tu engine was exactly the same as the n63 engine but with just "technical updates" (hence TU), and some strengthening of some of the parts, similar to the customer care campaign that the n63 program had. Thus, it would seem that it would actually cost BMW less to put an n63tu engine in there since they're currently producing those verses a n63 engine, which I believe is out of production.

I think someone is just sleeping on the job and your file is just getting shat on...I meant sat on, Freudian typo. I can't believe they have you in some ordinary old $15,000 rental. What a nightmare.
I thought so too but there are many differences with the two engines idk what but n63tu is all over N63 is on backorder at my dealership I go to‼️
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #18
zanye08
Private
United_States
Rep

Many differences...different ECU/wiring harness.. and everything below

Engine mechanical
• New cylinder head due to use of the Turbo Valvetronic Direct Injection (TVDI) procedure
• 3rd generation Valvetronic
• New valvetrain with modified timing
• Adoption of VANOS from the N55 engine
• New cylinder head cover with adapted crankcase ventilation
• Pistons with modified piston crown geometry
• New connecting rod with even pitch and adaptation of the crankcase due to modified connecting rod shape
• Adapted crankshaft
• Chain drive with modified guide rails and an extruded chain with 142 elements.

Oil supply
• Pendulum slide cell pump with small overall width
• Eight individual oil spray nozzles for piston crown cooling.

Cooling
• Integration of the two engine control units in the low-temperature circuit and cooling over the back panel with cooling pipe
• Expansion tank under the left side wall with separate filling hopper.

Intake and exhaust emission systems
• Adaptation of the manifold for the air intake duct due to new geometry of the cylinder head cover
• Use of the hot film air mass meter 7
• Adoption of the charge air temperature and intake-manifold pressure sensor from the N20 engine
• Exhaust turbocharger with new compressor and modified wastegate valves
• Discontinuation of the blow-off valves.

Vacuum system
• Two-stage vacuum pump with new arrangement of the bolt connection
• Vacuum reservoir for the wastegate valves in the V-area of the engine.

Fuel preparation
• Use of the known high-pressure injection with injectors and high pressure pump HDP5
• Discontinuation of fuel low-pressure sensor

Engine management system
• New dual control unit concept with one control unit per bank
• Oil level sensor with an additional temperature sensor in the main oil duct behind the starter motor.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #19
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanye08 View Post
Many differences...different ECU/wiring harness.. and everything below

Engine mechanical
• New cylinder head due to use of the Turbo Valvetronic Direct Injection (TVDI) procedure
• 3rd generation Valvetronic
• New valvetrain with modified timing
• Adoption of VANOS from the N55 engine
• New cylinder head cover with adapted crankcase ventilation
• Pistons with modified piston crown geometry
• New connecting rod with even pitch and adaptation of the crankcase due to modified connecting rod shape
• Adapted crankshaft
• Chain drive with modified guide rails and an extruded chain with 142 elements.

Oil supply
• Pendulum slide cell pump with small overall width
• Eight individual oil spray nozzles for piston crown cooling.

Cooling
• Integration of the two engine control units in the low-temperature circuit and cooling over the back panel with cooling pipe
• Expansion tank under the left side wall with separate filling hopper.

Intake and exhaust emission systems
• Adaptation of the manifold for the air intake duct due to new geometry of the cylinder head cover
• Use of the hot film air mass meter 7
• Adoption of the charge air temperature and intake-manifold pressure sensor from the N20 engine
• Exhaust turbocharger with new compressor and modified wastegate valves
• Discontinuation of the blow-off valves.

Vacuum system
• Two-stage vacuum pump with new arrangement of the bolt connection
• Vacuum reservoir for the wastegate valves in the V-area of the engine.

Fuel preparation
• Use of the known high-pressure injection with injectors and high pressure pump HDP5
• Discontinuation of fuel low-pressure sensor

Engine management system
• New dual control unit concept with one control unit per bank
• Oil level sensor with an additional temperature sensor in the main oil duct behind the starter motor.
Wow, after all those updates and changes, the n63tu engines still have issues. I can't figure out if BMW over-engineers or under-engineers. Or do they focus on performance so much that they forget to make sure the darn thing actually works?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #20
zanye08
Private
United_States
Rep

I Know, its really disappointing . Seems like a combo of both under an over engineering.

Example of over-engineering: digital oil level sensors.
Example of under-engineering oil level sensor fail due to high temps
Example of under-engineering: leaky valve seals causing excessive oil consumption
Don't have to explain why you see N63, N63TU and S63 fail catastrophically. "seemingly" out of the blue...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #21
Swisschris
Rep
Drives: F13 650xi

Well I only saw the early N63TU´s with issues (2013/2014), however they changed some parts afterwards (like crankcase ventilation lines) and the N63TU should be pretty stable from 2015 onwards. Or are there any major issues with them?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #22
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swisschris View Post
Well I only saw the early N63TU´s with issues (2013/2014), however they changed some parts afterwards (like crankcase ventilation lines) and the N63TU should be pretty stable from 2015 onwards. Or are there any major issues with them?
My engine was pretty good the only reason I blew my motor was because I tampered wit it.. I think it has something to do with how bad you beat on the motor
Appreciate 0