BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #287
Matt@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: V8 tricycle

2008 M3 6MT 55,xxx

Appreciate 1
      11-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #288
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

2011 M3 DCT 66,xxx

Appreciate 1
      11-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #289
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

2009 M3 6MT 79,xxx

Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #290
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

2006 M5 SMG 79,xxx

Appreciate 1
      11-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #291
pmc213
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOcouture View Post
2009 M3 6MT 79,xxx

Yikes, that's me! A little background on my car: previously owned by a BMW mechanic and during my ownership was properly warmed up, 5k mile oil changes, super clean and runs great. These are the bearings though! I was not expecting that lol.

I can't recommend ACM enough! I sent Matt an email and he got back to me within 10 minutes. We then scheduled a time for me to drop off and pick up the car as I passed though from CT on a little road trip. Matt gave me a few phone calls while they had my car to keep me updated on everything that was going on. Communication is key and made me feel very comfortable and confident that I left my car with the right people. We even decided to do a more thorough service and install new motor mounts, change trans, diff and brake fluid (along with a pesky TA) while it was on the operating table.

To anyone who is thinking about a RB service: just do it...and call ACM! My car feels great and I am no longer stressed about it. These are the kind of people that are on your side and not out to rob you. Exemplary communication and quality of work. Thanks again!

Paul (ps first post!)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 02:45 AM   #292
Navajodave
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw m3

Any RB Black Friday specials @ACM??
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 06:43 AM   #293
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

It would be very helpful if pictures of WPC treated OEM bearings to GTS specifications, with ARP hardened rod bolts are posted after 30,000 miles or more.

What seems to be missing is the comparison.

While the "problem" is well documented....

And the process has been discussed ad nauseam....

the solution seems to be somewhat less documented...

So what we all need is pictured of either BE or WPC after equal amount of mileage.

Without that, for all we know, the WPC and BE RB looks exactly like the OEM ones. And if so, what would that mean?
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #294
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOcouture View Post
2006 M5 SMG 79,xxx

Wow! Those look awful. Good thing the owner had them done.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #295
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc213 View Post
Yikes, that's me! A little background on my car: previously owned by a BMW mechanic and during my ownership was properly warmed up, 5k mile oil changes, super clean and runs great. These are the bearings though! I was not expecting that lol.

I can't recommend ACM enough! I sent Matt an email and he got back to me within 10 minutes. We then scheduled a time for me to drop off and pick up the car as I passed though from CT on a little road trip. Matt gave me a few phone calls while they had my car to keep me updated on everything that was going on. Communication is key and made me feel very comfortable and confident that I left my car with the right people. We even decided to do a more thorough service and install new motor mounts, change trans, diff and brake fluid (along with a pesky TA) while it was on the operating table.

To anyone who is thinking about a RB service: just do it...and call ACM! My car feels great and I am no longer stressed about it. These are the kind of people that are on your side and not out to rob you. Exemplary communication and quality of work. Thanks again!

Paul (ps first post!)
Paul,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you were happy with her stay here and glad we were able to sort it out entirely while you were traveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navajodave View Post
Any RB Black Friday specials @ACM??
We've been doing them for $1,000 off for awhile now! Black Friday 365 days a year
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #296
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
It would be very helpful if pictures of WPC treated OEM bearings to GTS specifications, with ARP hardened rod bolts are posted after 30,000 miles or more.

What seems to be missing is the comparison.

While the "problem" is well documented....

And the process has been discussed ad nauseam....

the solution seems to be somewhat less documented...

So what we all need is pictured of either BE or WPC after equal amount of mileage.

Without that, for all we know, the WPC and BE RB looks exactly like the OEM ones. And if so, what would that mean?
Sorry for the delayed response...Short staffed over here in the shop so we've been a little jammed up.

Yes, you raise good points! There is so much coverage of the factory removals and you have to consider we have only started documenting these more thoroughly the last couple of years, but have been doing them long before that!

We agree that we'd like to document more bearings after tens(x4,5,6) of thousands of miles after the upgrade. We have pulled only a handful over the years with the upgraded bearings in them, but that was long ago. The fact that they were in excellent condition in a duration of approximately a 30,000 mile average was a very good sign, but it was still on the lower end of the mileage spectrum. Out of the thousands and thousands of S65's out on the road, we knew it was not a large enough sample size to rely on for data gathering. However, compared to the stock bearings we pull at that range of mileage, we saw the difference and felt that there was validity to upgrading and kept moving forward providing the service for the community.

There are issues in accurately gathering post bearing data too though. Aside from aligning all of the exact variables from each car (because all bearings show wear differently from each car we pull), we also have to consider the most realistic issue that 99% of customers do not want to spend the money again on the service.

Strengthening internal components with proper care should ultimately increase longevity in that specific area. With all of the awareness around the rod bearing issue, current owners that do this are now on the zero mile rod bearing. In theory, the majority of current owners should be treating the initial warm ups and oil changes differently than original owners did back when these were new and the issue was not surfaced fully. Hopefully this care after the upgraded bearings will ensure that we'll see these M3's on the road decades from now.

Last edited by Matt@AUTOcouture; 01-15-2019 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 4
      12-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #297
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

2008 M3 6MT 94,xxx

Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #298
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

This 2008 E90 is a little different than the others that we've documented here. Disassembling some of the lower components on the lift while on our way to performing the rod bearing service, we discovered that there was a crack behind the alternator that was bandaged up. The damage does not appear as though it was from a front end collision, but perhaps an error while that engine was being installed back into the car....not quite sure. Regardless, instead of investing in that engine, he said he would bring us another one.

These are the bearing pulled out of the customer supplied long block, which according to the yard he got it from is a 2008 with 37,xxx miles. The bearings tell a different story. With no scoring done to the crank, we upgraded the rod bearings and did a bunch of maintenance items such as oil filter stand gasket, belts and tensioners, valve cover gaskets, cooling system overhaul, cleaned out the secondary air passages with the manifolds off, and spark plugs.

Appreciate 3
      12-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #299
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

Hey guys hope you all had a great holiday. We've been a little swamped here and with the holidays we haven't been able to keep up in the thread. All messages are replied, thank you for the feedback and inquiries as always!

As we ring in the new year, from all of us at ACM, we just want to thank you all for your support, feedback and business. Without you, we wouldn't be here and we're glad to be servicing your cars and keeping them on the road!

That being said.....let's catch up on some bearings!

2008 M3 6MT 89,xxx

Appreciate 1
      12-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #300
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

2009 M3 DCT 82,xxx

Appreciate 1
      01-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #301
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

2009 M3 DCT 77,xxx

Appreciate 1
      01-03-2019, 02:48 AM   #302
Zurek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 m3

Any group buy ?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #303
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurek View Post
Any group buy ?
The special has been going on for awhile now...$2,499!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #304
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Hey Jeff, had a look at the thread but thought its quicker to ask you mate; out of the "hundreds" of shell sets coming out, would you be able to set a percentage on how many was good (incl some touched I guess is fair)?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #305
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hey Jeff, had a look at the thread but thought its quicker to ask you mate; out of the "hundreds" of shell sets coming out, would you be able to set a percentage on how many was good (incl some touched I guess is fair)?

Thanks
The question is a good one but difficult to answer. There are so many variables and unknowns to this point with average wear vs excessive wear. I will give you my own thoughts about it.

I believe that proper and strict oil services help to keep the fluid clean and clear of contaminates. I believe that proper warm up procedures followed every time you start the car is vital as well.

It's impossible to tell when exactly the bearing gets its wear and why at that point it did. Here is what I mean by that.

2008 e90 m3, 6 speed, original owner vehicle, 126k miles.
We pull the bearings and they look AWFUL. We asked about some service history and they said they follow the service intervals from the ccc and that they start the car and just drive off. Take a look.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=138

2009 E90 m3, DCT, Purchased at 140K miles, bearings pulled at 155K.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=99
They show wear, but not nearly the wear we have seen on most early ones. He was unsure of the previous owners maintenance history or driving/warm up procedures. The customer just came in for an oil change, had no idea that bearings were an issue point.

2012 E92 M3, 6MT, 36K miles
Unsure of owner count and previous history. But a late model, low mileage example.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=128

2008 E92 M3, 6MT, 44K miles
Unsure of owner count but current owner tracked the car plenty and had maintained it flawlessly up to this point. Serious, consistent burn spots.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=29

These are just a few of the examples that just point further into the unknown direction as to the burning question of WHY?

I guess to answer your question without looking subjectively at each post we made and coming up with an exact percentage, 60% look OK to have been continued to drive on, 40% looked like they were past the OK point. I know its not a answer that gives tons of technical data or defining answers but the reason for continuing the rod bearing service is the strengthen a weak point of the S65 motor.
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #306
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
The question is a good one but difficult to answer. There are so many variables and unknowns to this point with average wear vs excessive wear. I will give you my own thoughts about it.

I believe that proper and strict oil services help to keep the fluid clean and clear of contaminates. I believe that proper warm up procedures followed every time you start the car is vital as well.

It's impossible to tell when exactly the bearing gets its wear and why at that point it did. Here is what I mean by that.

2008 e90 m3, 6 speed, original owner vehicle, 126k miles.
We pull the bearings and they look AWFUL. We asked about some service history and they said they follow the service intervals from the ccc and that they start the car and just drive off. Take a look.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=138

2009 E90 m3, DCT, Purchased at 140K miles, bearings pulled at 155K.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=99
They show wear, but not nearly the wear we have seen on most early ones. He was unsure of the previous owners maintenance history or driving/warm up procedures. The customer just came in for an oil change, had no idea that bearings were an issue point.

2012 E92 M3, 6MT, 36K miles
Unsure of owner count and previous history. But a late model, low mileage example.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=128

2008 E92 M3, 6MT, 44K miles
Unsure of owner count but current owner tracked the car plenty and had maintained it flawlessly up to this point. Serious, consistent burn spots.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=29

These are just a few of the examples that just point further into the unknown direction as to the burning question of WHY?

I guess to answer your question without looking subjectively at each post we made and coming up with an exact percentage, 60% look OK to have been continued to drive on, 40% looked like they were past the OK point. I know its not a answer that gives tons of technical data or defining answers but the reason for continuing the rod bearing service is the strengthen a weak point of the S65 motor.
Thanks Jeff.

Yep I'm aware of that there is a number of parameters impacting wear, "abuse" and bad oil being fair enough. Followed this for a number of years now and so far can't remember I've seen a single set coming out completely without wear. Cars are getting old and most with multiple downers but I'm thinking SOME of them must have been treated well. Hence my wondering whether you've seen some un worn at all.

Went with extended clearance myself last year (ACL HX). Certainly continuing with 10W60 and sorry to say mostly short commuting so fits my bill. Has still been interesting to read about your thoughts to not touch any geometrics, which clearly have worked well.

Cheers,
Nik
Appreciate 3
      01-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #307
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

Just for fun, to touch on Jeff's post about the various bearing ages and mileage, we happened to be pulling an E90 and E92 side by side rod bearings on the lifts and here we have 2011 with 61,xxx on the left and 2013 with 19,xxx on the right.

Appreciate 2
      01-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #308
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Helmsman
The clearance increase is too small to be relative. Not even close to the amount BE provides. I do not know enough about the reduced clearance options available.
Appreciate 0