BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

INDustry distribution

01-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
im4ipsc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 ZCP Comp S/C

Has anyone come across a DIY to replace the two oil separators?

I wanted to replace the two oil separators (11157848155), their 2 required gaskets (11157838369, their two required O-rings (11157838370), and the 8 Torx screws (11417526315). ECS Tuning has the best price that I could find for all of the parts. My mechanic was looking over my ESS supercharged E92 M3 and noticed that the car was seeping a bit of oil out of the valve covers. He pinpointed it to the oil separators (the car has 85k miles on it) and gave me a pretty steep quote for labor and material. I priced the material out at ECS and figured that the mechanic was going to charge me $700 for labor. It seemed a bit steep especially after I had just finished helping a friend out by changing out his throttle body actuator bank 2 last weekend in a total time of 2.5 hours.

I was thinking that the supercharger's intake manifold would need to be removed to gain access to both oil separators but I wanted to find out if anyone had done this task before I start removing parts that I don't need to. Am I on the right track?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS

You have to remove the manifold. It's pretty damn easy after that
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:21 AM   #3
im4ipsc
Private
United_States
Rep

I just spent an hour with my mechanic going over the removal

on my ESS supercharged E92 M3 and "damn" and "easy" are two words or adjectives that cannot be used to describe this remove and replace task. To get access to the torx bolts that hold the oil separator located on the driver's side (US version) you have to first remove the coil cover. On an ESS supercharged E9X M3, this involves removing the bolt on supercharger out of the way. There appears to be 3 hoses that are part of the supercharger configuration that will need to have their clamps and associated hoses (on the driver's side of the engine) to be removed in order to gain access to the torx bolts that hold the oil separator on to the engine. I just described an hour of prep work just for the driver's side.

As I dig further in to this task, there also appears to be some supercharger parts on the passenger side of the engine block that are not part of an OEM configuration. These parts will need to be removed prior to removing the coil cover in order to gain access to the torx bolts that hold the oil separator to the engine on the passenger side. I would estimate 30 minutes of prep work in order to eventually gain access to the passenger side's oil separator.

At this point, with the coil covers removed on both sides of the engine, I have to imagine that the removal and replace of the two oil separators and their new gaskets and O-rings should be straight forward or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:27 AM   #4
Redd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Not sure if you're aware but the valve covers themselves are prone to warping and are usually the cause of oil leaks from the valve covers. I've not heard of just replacing the oil separators fixing this problem. Something you investigate before doing all the labor and then having to repeat it again later to replace the valve covers.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:59 AM   #5
drrust
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

One additional point is that it is not uncommon for some of the finish on the valve cover to stay attached to the old separator. Saw a recommendation to use high temp rtv/gasket sealer when replacing.

When have you guys changed your oil separator https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1332448
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:14 AM   #6
im4ipsc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
One additional point is that it is not uncommon for some of the finish on the valve cover to stay attached to the old separator. Saw a recommendation to use high temp rtv/gasket sealer when replacing.

When have you guys changed your oil separator https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1332448
Yes, I have some Permatex Ultra Gray Hi- Temp Gasket Sealant in my tool box and was thinking of using it during this installation.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:33 AM   #7
im4ipsc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4ipsc View Post
Yes, I have some Permatex Ultra Gray Hi- Temp Gasket Sealant in my tool box and was thinking of using it during this installation.
I ended up using, per this forum's member deansbimmer a product called Reinzosil in lieu of the Permatex grey gasket maker and it worked great. Kudos to deansbimmer for this suggestion
Appreciate 0