BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

02-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #1
m3luv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3E92

ceramic coating/clear bra worth it for track car?

I have a 2011 BMW that's currently my daily driver (don't commute much though)/track toy. It has a couple paint chips/marks from tracking that I plan to fix. Is it worth it to ceramic coat & clear bra (high impact areas only), give that the paint is already damaged?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 09:22 PM   #2
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3luv View Post
I have a 2011 BMW that's currently my daily driver (don't commute much though)/track toy. It has a couple paint chips/marks from tracking that I plan to fix. Is it worth it to ceramic coat & clear bra (high impact areas only), give that the paint is already damaged?
Ceramic will offer little resistance to rock chips on the race track.

Before ceramic coating you'll definitely want to properly prep the paint so that it's flawless before you coat it with something semi-permanent. You would then touch up the paint chips after compound/polish and before coating.

I don't think anyone would recommend ceramic coating only the front clip of your car - but what do I know.

If you want to apply a PPF because the best protection is your ultimate goal, you would prep, touch up paint chips, PPF, and then ceramic coat.
Appreciate 1
Thumbie94.00
      02-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

PPF over damaged paint from chips won't look great. If you only have a handful and repair then it's still worth it but if you have a lot like your front bumper probably does then you won't want ppf on it or you'll want to respray first, wait 3 months then ppf.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 07:16 PM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Hi there, I'm also in San Francisco.

My car had PPF from new. After 10+ years of driving and lots of track days, I had it replaced with new PPF. The old PPF looked really nasty after all these years and miles. The paint was pristine under the PPF and looked brand new. After new PPF, the car looked showroom fresh again and protection renewed - the new PPF films are way better than the old ones. Be aware that track rubber is a bitch to remove from clear bra and sometimes bond permanently to the clear bra. Most track rubber removers will damage clear bra.

PPF the car if you care about the appearance. But if your paint is already chipped up, definitely look into getting it resprayed before PPF otherwise you just lock in all the existing damage.

Ceramic coating is just a durable wax/sealant. It will do nothing against rock chips and scratches. It will keep your car looking nicer between car washes though. Not hard to DIY a coating.

Note in the picture, the clear bra is not dirty. That is actual damage on the clear bra from driving. The clear bra took a beating but saved the paint underneath.
Attached Images

Last edited by Z K; 02-21-2021 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
Thumbie94.00
      02-23-2021, 11:34 AM   #5
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Damn my car was so beat up from track. So resprayed, new ppf, corrected, and graphene coated.
Attached Images

02-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post

My car had PPF from new. After 10+ years of driving and lots of track days, I had it replaced with new PPF. The old PPF looked really nasty after all these years and miles. The paint was pristine under the PPF and looked brand new. After new PPF, the car looked showroom fresh again and protection renewed - the new PPF films are way better than the old ones. Be aware that track rubber is a bitch to remove from clear bra and sometimes bond permanently to the clear bra. Most track rubber removers will damage clear bra.

PPF the car if you care about the appearance. But if your paint is already chipped up, definitely look into getting it resprayed before PPF otherwise you just lock in all the existing damage.

Ceramic coating is just a durable wax/sealant. It will do nothing against rock chips and scratches. It will keep your car looking nicer between car washes though. Not hard to DIY a coating.

Note in the picture, the clear bra is not dirty. That is actual damage on the clear bra from driving. The clear bra took a beating but saved the paint underneath.
I would think coating the ppf would make it easier to remove rubber that gets on it from the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #7
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:

My car had PPF from new. After 10+ years of driving and lots of track days, I had it replaced with new PPF. The old PPF looked really nasty after all these years and miles.
Nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:58 AM   #8
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Prime example of PPF's prowess. The technology has evolved massively in the last decade. They have zero orange peel, are crystal clear, have 99% gloss levels and the adhesive technology has evolved as to no damage paint upon removal.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 06:23 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I would think coating the ppf would make it easier to remove rubber that gets on it from the track.
It's the opposite. The rubber from the track sticks to PPF and bonds with it since they are both petroleum-based products. You can't use tar/rubber remover on clear bra because it damages the film. On paint, you can use tar remover and/or polish off the rubber. On PPF, you cant use those.

The clear bra film is very delicate and you need to care for it differently than paint.
      03-02-2021, 06:34 PM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's the opposite. The rubber from the track sticks to PPF and bonds with it since they are both petroleum-based products. You can't use tar/rubber remover on clear bra because it damages the film. On paint, you can use tar remover and/or polish off the rubber. On PPF, you cant use those.

The clear bra film is very delicate and you need to care for it differently than paint.
I mean CERAMIC COATING the PPF would make easier to get rubber off of the PPF
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 04:19 PM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have ceramic coating on the new PPF now. I did 2 track days on this set up. I can't say it is any better. Rubber still bonds to the PPF.

Ceramic coating really has no effect on keeping the car cleaner from track debris. I find it helps keep the paint cleaner from normal every day stuff like bird bombs and dirt flies off which makes it worth it.

There isn't much that you can do about extreme use like track driving. You replace the clear bra every now and then and try not worry about it.
      03-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have ceramic coating on the new PPF now. I did 2 track days on this set up. I can't say it is any better. Rubber still bonds to the PPF.

Ceramic coating really has no effect on keeping the car cleaner from track debris. I find it helps keep the paint cleaner from normal every day stuff like bird bombs and dirt flies off which makes it worth it.

There isn't much that you can do about extreme use like track driving. You replace the clear bra every now and then and try not worry about it.
Hmmm good, to know at least.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 12:22 AM   #13
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Here's a trick I picked up from an AMMO detailing video on YouTube - use a paint sealant and a microfiber cloth to remove the rubber marks from the track or highway debris.

After the car is clean, put a small dab of sealant (I used Meguiar's liquid wax-its a sealant) on the mark and lightly work it with the cloth. It disappears like magic after a few seconds and bonus, you put some paint protection on the spot.

Works great on PPF and clearcoat and using something you probably already have in the garage.
      03-23-2021, 03:40 PM   #14
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES BMW View Post
Here's a trick I picked up from an AMMO detailing video on YouTube - use a paint sealant and a microfiber cloth to remove the rubber marks from the track or highway debris.

After the car is clean, put a small dab of sealant (I used Meguiar's liquid wax-its a sealant) on the mark and lightly work it with the cloth. It disappears like magic after a few seconds and bonus, you put some paint protection on the spot.

Works great on PPF and clearcoat and using something you probably already have in the garage.
I've done this before. It always works on paint but only works sometimes on clear bra. With 25 years of cleaning and maintaining clear bra, I've tried about everything.

The clear bra is soft - it is softer than paint. When you rub something, you're using an abrasive (physical rubbing with a towel/applicator) and it'll scratch the clear bra. The harder you press, the more scratched the bra becomes. So the tire marks can come off but it comes at a cost.

A clear bra's "self healing" abilities only work for a few years when new. After it ages and gets harder, it won't heal anymore.
      03-23-2021, 03:48 PM   #15
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

I just want to chime in and say if you ever plan to sell the car after you track it, just do the PPF in the first place so you don't have to pay to respray it later

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
ES BMW67.50
      03-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #16
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've done this before. It always works on paint but only works sometimes on clear bra. With 25 years of cleaning and maintaining clear bra, I've tried about everything.

The clear bra is soft - it is softer than paint. When you rub something, you're using an abrasive (physical rubbing with a towel/applicator) and it'll scratch the clear bra. The harder you press, the more scratched the bra becomes. So the tire marks can come off but it comes at a cost.

A clear bra's "self healing" abilities only work for a few years when new. After it ages and gets harder, it won't heal anymore.
Agreed. My PPF is less than a year old and the sealant trick worked perfectly. I barely applied any pressure when working the sealant into the tire mark. You start thinking it's not working and then the mark starts to disappear. Took 30+ seconds of light pressure for the worse marks at the front but it worked.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 12:31 PM   #17
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep

This is the video I'm referencing:

Goto 4:22 for the start of the rubber removal on paint and PPF. I'm in Miami so didn't need to heat anything on the non-PPF sections of the car. Worked great on the wheels too.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 01:03 PM   #18
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES BMW View Post
This is the video I'm referencing:

Goto 4:22 for the start of the rubber removal on paint and PPF. I'm in Miami so didn't need to heat anything on the non-PPF sections of the car. Worked great on the wheels too.
He doesn't get to the clear bra part until about 10 minutes when he is working on his black car.

Like I said earlier, the results of using any product to clean tire marks on clear bra will vary. On newer clear bra, it comes off easier and it can self heal. I can just use my wash mitt with a car wash solution to rub off tire marks on my Suntek Ultra as the material is new and the tire marks don't embed as much.

If you do this on old clear bra - it will not work. My Ventureshield clear bra has tire marks that nothing will remove.
      03-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #19
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Just cleaned up my car after a track day this weekend, used the ammo trick. My car is ppf and coated. Not sure how much that did, but it came off pretty easy.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #20
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 AW ZCP 6MT

For rubber removal from tracking, I use Mothers R3. Works like a charm. I dont have PPF but reviews say it works just as well.

You can order it from Pepboys and pick up in store.
https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-09224.../dp/B005R5WGCS

2013 E92 ZCP /// Alpine stage 2 tune, Bomiz Race X-Pipe, ARC-8 wheels, Vorshlag camber plates, Wheel studs, TMS spacers F15mm/R12.5mm, Stoptech SS lines, BW brass caliper guide
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 05:01 PM   #21
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatel14 View Post
For rubber removal from tracking, I use Mothers R3. Works like a charm. I dont have PPF but reviews say it works just as well.

You can order it from Pepboys and pick up in store.
https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-09224.../dp/B005R5WGCS
Do not use on clear bra! R3 will melt clear bra and turn it milky white. I tried it and had to replace the clear bra because I had a cloudy white spot on my black car. Any rubber/tar remover is a risk to clear bra - the more powerful it is, the more damage it'll do. R3 says "safe for vinyl" but clear bra is not vinyl.

On paint it is fine.
      12-12-2023, 11:15 AM   #22
Motonoia
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

This is one of the best cases of PPF saving paint that I have seen. Did you get a full PPF wrap on your car? Or just the "track package" that includes the front end and rocker panels? In your time driving on the track, did you incur damage anywhere else? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0