BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-06-2021, 04:15 AM   #23
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Managed to catch a video of typical circumstances when I get the DCT error. I.e. normal driving (in fact the harder I drive the less error). 2 min video show the code come, to go away after a little driving, to come again. Verrry annoying, dealer haven't be able to do anything about it.

Last edited by Helmsman; 06-06-2021 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #24
daitheflu20
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm getting the same thing on my 2010 E92 with about 80k miles. I typically get the warning within 10-15 minutes of easy driving.
Just got this car about 2 months ago and I really dont have any history on it but I did notice that the DCT oil pan appeared wet. I never had any drips in the garage but I replaced the pan with the 'Big Momma' pan from Seems Legit. Ended up draining about 4 quarts but filled with nearly 7 quarts. Not sure if the fluid was ever low.

The 5A61 Selector rod 1/3 fault appeared when I ran the 'DKG Oil Balancing' procedure from my scanner. I ran this procedure twice and got the fault each time. Cleared this code and it hasnt returned under normal driving but the 5A53 overheating phase red code has returned.

So I took a deeper dive into my scanner and found that I can see DKG temps. I see a total of 3 temperatures from the DCT. I'm making a few assumptions here but I believe temperature sensors 1 and 2 are the actual clutches and 'Oil temperature clutch' must be the fluid in the pan.

What I find odd about my readings is that the 'oil temperature clutch' reading showed 142 C (~287 F) when the car wasnt even running. When this picture was taken, the car had been sitting in the garage for 12+ hours. Also, none of the other temperatures from the DCT are anywhere near this high...they're all much closer to the ambient temp of the garage. Also also, I watched this temp drop from 142 down to 53 within about 45 seconds. The temp would jump up or down about 4 degrees with every refresh of the scanner. This is all while the engine wasnt even running (key in ignition pressed engine start button once)

So I started the engine and let it idle for about 20 minutes. No codes came up but the 'oil temp clutch' reading maxed out around 81 C which I believe is about right. Went for a quick drive and the overheat code popped up right as I was pulling back into the driveway. I had the car in park while I rearranged some cars in the driveway. Within a few seconds of putting the car back in drive, the overheat message popped up. I had the scanner running but the message went away before I could grab it. The scanner allows me to see a 'freeze frame' of the code and this is what I saw...

Looks like 'Model temperature K1' (clutch pack 1?) hit 91 C which I believe is about the temp where the DCT thermostat opens to allow coolant to run to the radiator in the passenger side front. Seems high considering I only drove for about 10 minutes and never got about 45mph.

I dont know what 'injector sensor, raw value' is. Any ideas?

I'm leaning towards an issue with the oil temp sensor / possibly an exposed wire causing a short or clutches needing replaced (never noticed any slipping). I should be getting a pair of jack stands that work with the BMW jack pads today so I'll get under the car this weekend and see what I can see of the wiring. Otherwise, may pull the transmission and replace that sensor but thats a really big job for me since I've never pulled a transmission before.

One last thing...the scanner lets me see the adaptation and pressure values for each clutch. I have no idea what these values would typically be. Maybe somebody could advise. If the scanner lets me run the clutch adaptation, I may try that before pulling the transmission.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 10:15 AM   #25
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daitheflu20 View Post
I'm getting the same thing on my 2010 E92 with about 80k miles. I typically get the warning within 10-15 minutes of easy driving.
Just got this car about 2 months ago and I really dont have any history on it but I did notice that the DCT oil pan appeared wet. I never had any drips in the garage but I replaced the pan with the 'Big Momma' pan from Seems Legit. Ended up draining about 4 quarts but filled with nearly 7 quarts. Not sure if the fluid was ever low.

The 5A61 Selector rod 1/3 fault appeared when I ran the 'DKG Oil Balancing' procedure from my scanner. I ran this procedure twice and got the fault each time. Cleared this code and it hasnt returned under normal driving but the 5A53 overheating phase red code has returned.

So I took a deeper dive into my scanner and found that I can see DKG temps. I see a total of 3 temperatures from the DCT. I'm making a few assumptions here but I believe temperature sensors 1 and 2 are the actual clutches and 'Oil temperature clutch' must be the fluid in the pan.

What I find odd about my readings is that the 'oil temperature clutch' reading showed 142 C (~287 F) when the car wasnt even running. When this picture was taken, the car had been sitting in the garage for 12+ hours. Also, none of the other temperatures from the DCT are anywhere near this high...they're all much closer to the ambient temp of the garage. Also also, I watched this temp drop from 142 down to 53 within about 45 seconds. The temp would jump up or down about 4 degrees with every refresh of the scanner. This is all while the engine wasnt even running (key in ignition pressed engine start button once)

So I started the engine and let it idle for about 20 minutes. No codes came up but the 'oil temp clutch' reading maxed out around 81 C which I believe is about right. Went for a quick drive and the overheat code popped up right as I was pulling back into the driveway. I had the car in park while I rearranged some cars in the driveway. Within a few seconds of putting the car back in drive, the overheat message popped up. I had the scanner running but the message went away before I could grab it. The scanner allows me to see a 'freeze frame' of the code and this is what I saw...

Looks like 'Model temperature K1' (clutch pack 1?) hit 91 C which I believe is about the temp where the DCT thermostat opens to allow coolant to run to the radiator in the passenger side front. Seems high considering I only drove for about 10 minutes and never got about 45mph.

I'm leaning towards an issue with the oil temp sensor / possibly an exposed wire causing a short or clutches needing replaced (never noticed any slipping). I should be getting a pair of jack stands that work with the BMW jack pads today so I'll get under the car this weekend and see what I can see of the wiring. Otherwise, may pull the transmission and replace that sensor but thats a really big job for me since I've never pulled a transmission before.

One last thing...the scanner lets me see the adaptation and pressure values for each clutch. I have no idea what these values would typically be. Maybe somebody could advise. If the scanner lets me run the clutch adaptation, I may try that before pulling the transmission.

Thanks for the input. Interesting to see the temp sensors strange behaviour, seems to be faulty. Makes me wonder if my dealer actually even have measured oil temp, or if they are even able to as they came to no conclusions other than handing me a bill for nothing...

Unfortunately I can't comment on any of the clutch values, lets see if some with knowledge chime in.

Last edited by Helmsman; 07-22-2021 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #26
JPSurratt2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

I've had both DCT warnings in the summer, winter, driving slow, driving fast, etc. I've checked the cooler temp with a temp gun during the warning and only read around 130F.

In another thread people have stated having electrical fault issues related to the engine ground strap. Mine didn't look bad but I replaced it anyway and I have not had any DCT faults since. That was about a month ago and it has been super hot here in Oklahoma.

I'll update this post if I get anymore faults. For $50 and about 30 minutes of work I really hope it was my issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 04:06 PM   #27
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSurratt2005 View Post
I've had both DCT warnings in the summer, winter, driving slow, driving fast, etc. I've checked the cooler temp with a temp gun during the warning and only read around 130F.

In another thread people have stated having electrical fault issues related to the engine ground strap. Mine didn't look bad but I replaced it anyway and I have not had any DCT faults since. That was about a month ago and it has been super hot here in Oklahoma.

I'll update this post if I get anymore faults. For $50 and about 30 minutes of work I really hope it was my issue.
Good input, thanks mate.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 07:59 AM   #28
vitalsigns
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had this issue years ago. After much diagnosis and dealer investigation about replacing the mechatronics, dropping the transmission, etc. (car was under BMW extended warranty), it turned out to be the DTC temp sensor, which quite frustratingly wasn't covered by the warranty. Turned out to be a $3K fix even though only the temp sensor was the issue. In this case, having the warranty was negative value as I was stuck with the dealer (on the hopes it was a mechatronics issue and would have been covered by the warranty). An indy would have surely been much less expensive.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      08-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #29
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm getting the same thing on my 2010 E92 with about 80k miles. I typically get the warning within 10-15 minutes of easy driving. ......

Your issues are almost certainly the result of a worn out clutch.

As the clutches wear out and overheat, the discs warp and never fully release anymore. That causes excess friction, heat, and the fluid overheats even when sitting in neutral or easy driving.

Clutch failure is also likely because shift shaft faults are present. When one or both of the clutch sets are warped and won't disengage fully, the shift fork shaft won't reach its end points within its specified parameters so it sets those faults. Eventually the clutches will overheat to the extent they will lock up altogether and will stall the engine.

A faulty sensor alone won't also have shift shaft faults present. Either way you'll need to R&R the transmission but you'll need to remove and disassemble the clutch- that task takes special tools. Replacing the combination (rpm/temp) sensor would also be wise at the same time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 05:15 PM   #30
waynebanga
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLuRRYM3 View Post
I had the same thing happen to me. Last week I did the fluid, filter, new pan, etc. Also did the DCT software update and adaptation, which removed my Dinan tune. I was reading on bimmerworld that sometimes the DCT thermostat is the culprit. Since it was a cheap part around $100, decided might as well change that out too since it's fairly easy to swap out.

So far so good. Before I couldn't do the normal weekly three grocery store run without getting an overheat warning.

I have a thread where I'm providing updates:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817337
Hey, I'm going through the same issues, all though be in on my e82 135i MHD Stage 2. I got the car like this so it may need an update from the dealer. Either way, Overheating codes would pop up if I drive in any modes at random moments, sometimes in 30 mins and sometimes I can drive for 3 hours with no issues. Either way, I feel like it's the temp sensor, may I ask how much did it cost in terms of labor? Ive seen some other forums that wheel speed sensors might be the culprit as well so Ill try to monitor those as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 11:39 AM   #31
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynebanga View Post
Hey, I'm going through the same issues, all though be in on my e82 135i MHD Stage 2. I got the car like this so it may need an update from the dealer. Either way, Overheating codes would pop up if I drive in any modes at random moments, sometimes in 30 mins and sometimes I can drive for 3 hours with no issues. Either way, I feel like it's the temp sensor, may I ask how much did it cost in terms of labor? Ive seen some other forums that wheel speed sensors might be the culprit as well so Ill try to monitor those as well.
A wheel speed sensor won't cause these issues. It's possible it's the combination rpm/temp sensor but typically there are plausibility faults associated with them when they're the culprit. External thermostat is a very possible culprit and would be the lowest cost repair attempt in combination with making sure fluid balance is performed.

The combination temp/rpm sensor is located in the clutch housing of the transmission. It required transmission R&R to replace- same labor as replacing the clutch itself. We always check the clutches if we pull the transmission. If the clutches are fine then we'd replace the combo sensor and retest.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 08:14 AM   #32
ckang008
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: ME E92 2011

I had a similar issue with this. yellow cog warning comes up and limp mode after 15 mins of driving pretty much everytime stuck in traffic.

Got the trans fluid changed first and still have problem after 3 days. Then did a battery changed and it stopped for first couple days then the problem popped again and had to change the alternator. Problem didn't pop up as often after alternator change and it took around 2 weeks for it to disappear. Hope the problem won't appear again.

At first I thought cooler weather driving will be better but it made no difference to to problem. I'm guessing the alternator and battery is making all the sensors acting up

Last edited by ckang008; 10-23-2021 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #33
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckang008 View Post
I had a similar issue with this. yellow cog warning comes up and limp mode after 15 mins of driving pretty much everytime stuck in traffic.

Got the trans fluid changed first and still have problem after 3 days. Then did a battery changed and it stopped for first couple days then the problem popped again and had to change the alternator. Problem didn't pop up as often after alternator change and it took around 2 weeks for it to disappear. Hope the problem won't appear again.

At first I thought cooler weather driving will be better but it made no difference to to problem. I'm guessing the alternator and battery is making all the sensors acting up
I had this on and off for a good couple of years. It has turned worse - so has the battery - so this is good input and another reason for me to get a new battery.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 01:09 PM   #34
MisterClutch888
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

who would have thought a battery or alternator will trigger the tranny temp warning
Slow Build
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 04:51 PM   #35
waynebanga
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Wouldn't have thought a battery and alternator change would do anything but ill give it a try!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 11:33 AM   #36
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:

Long time since mate. If still around, curious where this went on your side?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 12:38 PM   #37
daitheflu20
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Long time since mate. If still around, curious where this went on your side?
Well I bought a used DCT transmission, clutch removal tool, set of quick jacks, new rpm/temp sensor, replaced the ODBC port since it was a bit sketchy and got a whole ISTA+ setup in the garage. The only thing I'm missing is the confidence to drop the transmission.

I still get the warning if I'm stuck in traffic in warm weather.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 05:24 PM   #38
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Well I bought a used DCT transmission, clutch removal tool, set of quick jacks, new rpm/temp sensor, replaced the ODBC port since it was a bit sketchy and got a whole ISTA+ setup in the garage. The only thing I'm missing is the confidence to drop the transmission.

I still get the warning if I'm stuck in traffic in warm weather.
Great to see you're still around (although sorry you still have the DCT bummer...).
As you have heat warning at low speed, did you check the aux coolant pump is working okay?

Over heated issue back and forth since years now. Finally able to read DCT temps (Bimmergeek) hence started a new round of diagnostic. Warning came up recently showing close to 150C - fair enough - while this time oil/air cooler was....cool. Changed the DCT Tstat earlier (together with fluid and filter). Plan to top up fluid once again.

Did you ever try reset adaptation, any results?
Appreciate 0