BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

06-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
atcga
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Another 1200 mile service gone wrong....

Dropped the car off Saturday for my 1200 mile service. I specifically told the SA to make sure if they changed the tranny fluid "DO NOT USE THE REGULAR FLUID" because there has been some confusion as to what is correct lubricant for the DCT. Very defiantly he replies "NO CONFUSION HERE, WE KNOW WHAT TO USE ON THE DCT TRANNY'. Picked the car up and drove it home. Noticed the tranny slipping during acceleration and tight turns. Before I could call him the manager called to tell me a flatbed was on it's way to pick up the car and drop off a loaner. He said he was aware that I specifically warned them about the DCT fluid and he found out during a telecon with BMW that there was a problem with my car and that BMW is not giving dealers the correct info regarding the DCT cars. There is now PuMA case on mine. The truck just left and I'll let you guys know what happens.
DO NOT LET THE DEALERS TOUCH THE DCT TRANNY!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

what the hell is PuMA?

that sucks...sad that BMWNA blew it so hard on this one. i wonder if european dealers are making the same mistakes?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
atcga
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
what the hell is PuMA?

that sucks...sad that BMWNA blew it so hard on this one. i wonder if european dealers are making the same mistakes?
I wish I knew
      06-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
What a bunch of idiots. Hasn't the TSB for this been out for a few weeks now?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
What a bunch of idiots. Hasn't the TSB for this been out for a few weeks now?
Yes, it has been out for three weeks or more now. Dealers just don't care. Remember what BMWNA told me initially when my DCT malfunctioned? "Each dealer is independently owned and operated"...thankfully they gave me a new tranny which is working well. I am in total disbelief that this is still happening. My guess is that BMW will start charging the dealers for new trannys and force them to swap the trannys out when this occurs due to the dealer's negligence. My DCT had multiple failures with the wrong fluid. I lost gears 2,4,and 6.
      06-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
atcga
Private
Rep

I read your post and that's why I insisted the SA check before he did anything. I don't know what to expect now. Should I ask for a new tranny?
      06-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
o man im so paranoid right now. My SA said the same thing, "yea we know about DCT, blah blah blah." I still havnt got the damn service invoice in the mail yet!

Can you explain in detail how you felt the tranny slip in acceleration and in tight turns?
      06-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

What a bunch of I.... I think we should be around when they do the 1200 miles service.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
what the hell is PuMA?
PuMA means they have opened a case with BMW that they do not have an answer/explanation for, and are expecting BMW to respond with a solution/fix.
      06-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

The attitude in service departments is for us owners to STFU because THEY KNOW EVERYTHING. "Just let us take care of it, now move along"

I don't mind that a new car will have bugs, or things could break. It's when the service dept F's you... that's a serious problem. A bad service department can ruin the ownership experience. If the car is going to be in the shop a lot, those guys had better know WTF they are doing. I hate hearing this stuff.
      06-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
nickw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46 m3... e92 m3 soon?

Did someone post a clean scan of the TSB yet? I found the camera phone pics but would like to get a better copy.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #12
atcga
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
o man im so paranoid right now. My SA said the same thing, "yea we know about DCT, blah blah blah." I still havnt got the damn service invoice in the mail yet!

Can you explain in detail how you felt the tranny slip in acceleration and in tight turns?
During straight-line accel the car would seem to slip out of gear momentarily then back in gear with a sudden jerk. Kinda like hiting a patch of ice, then back to traction. During turns the car would again slip out of gear like the clutch was slipping then it would regain traction.
Hope this makes sense. Believe me, if it happens you will know.
      06-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #13
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

Can't determine from your original post, but did they admit to changing the DCT fluid even though you told them not to? Which is likely given they symptoms. It sounded like they were trying to say there was a problem they are looking into with BMW on vs. admitting they made a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #14
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcga View Post
Dropped the car off Saturday for my 1200 mile service. I specifically told the SA to make sure if they changed the tranny fluid "DO NOT USE THE REGULAR FLUID" because there has been some confusion as to what is correct lubricant for the DCT. Very defiantly he replies "NO CONFUSION HERE, WE KNOW WHAT TO USE ON THE DCT TRANNY'. Picked the car up and drove it home. Noticed the tranny slipping during acceleration and tight turns. Before I could call him the manager called to tell me a flatbed was on it's way to pick up the car and drop off a loaner. He said he was aware that I specifically warned them about the DCT fluid and he found out during a telecon with BMW that there was a problem with my car and that BMW is not giving dealers the correct info regarding the DCT cars. There is now PuMA case on mine. The truck just left and I'll let you guys know what happens.
DO NOT LET THE DEALERS TOUCH THE DCT TRANNY!!!!!!!!!
You wrote that IF they change the tranny fluid?

The DCT tranny fluid shouldnt be changed at all, its a lifetime fluid...

Jason
      06-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #15
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
based off your original post it seems that even you were unclear. DCT does not require ANY FLUID CHANGES.

You said "I specifically told the SA to make sure if they changed the tranny fluid "DO NOT USE THE REGULAR FLUID".

There's simply no reason for them to muck with the DCT fluid at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #16
atcga
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin13 View Post
Can't determine from your original post, but did they admit to changing the DCT fluid even though you told them not to? Which is likely given they symptoms. It sounded like they were trying to say there was a problem they are looking into with BMW on vs. admitting they made a mistake.
Exactly. He started by saying he was concerned there may be a problem with the car. When I asked why my car he admitted he was informed during a telecon with BMW just today that the DCT fluid was different and he remembered an M3 that came in for service over the weekend. When he reviewed the service ticket he discovered the wrong fluid had been used. He asked my SA for more info and the SA also admitted I voiced concern over this very issue. He was very apologetic and said BMW is giving them the wrong info regarding the servicing of the DCT. So for now I guess the dealers will fight this out with BMW.
      06-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #17
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, everything goes well with the transmission replacement. Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #18
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
OMG still? This sux.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #19
atcga
Private
Rep

Just to clear up any confusion...I didn't waltz into the dealer and ask that the fluid be replaced. I told them that there is info that indicates there is no need to change the fluid, but..."if" your BMW instructions included changing the fluid make damn sure you use the correct fluid and not the 6mt stuff. I didn't confuse them, they did that to themselves. I will not accept any responsibility for this at all. I warned them about the fluid and they did the rest.
      06-04-2008, 12:47 AM   #20
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcga View Post
Just to clear up any confusion...I didn't waltz into the dealer and ask that the fluid be replaced. I told them that there is info that indicates there is no need to change the fluid, but..."if" your BMW instructions included changing the fluid make damn sure you use the correct fluid and not the 6mt stuff. I didn't confuse them, they did that to themselves. I will not accept any responsibility for this at all. I warned them about the fluid and they did the rest.
It's real simple. BMW NA's position is that if the fluid was changed with MT fluid, the tranny will be replaced, no if's and's or but's. If the dealer changed the fluid they HAD to have put MT fluid in it due to the fact DCT fluid is LIFETIME and BMW does NOT STOCK IT...they ONLY stock MT fluid! DCT fluid is only available through special order/circumstances. My understanding is all this confusion is the result of the fact the old MT's and SMG's on previous M3's used THE SAME FLUID. Now that is not the case so the service techs keep FUXKING it up!! Be warned.

By the way, that slipping is one of your two clutches going out...you will most likely lose gears 2,4, and 6 soon as I did due to MT fluid contamination.
      06-04-2008, 02:31 AM   #21
uran
Registered
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: Lexus gx 470

Talking

My friend had the same problem, when his one of the first m3 e92 MDCT came to Moscow. He came to perform a service and a mechanic read a service manual where it was said to change all the fluids in the car. The mechanic emptied the MDCT and then it turned out that they didnt know what oil to fill in, because it was the first one m3 MDCT they serviced. The car was staying there for three weeks , until BMW send them an official explanation that THE MDCT OIL IS A LIFETIME ONE AND THEREFORE SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 03:05 AM   #22
shadowcoder
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

What's up with this "incompetence are us" deal on the 1200 mile service and the
transmission screw ups? I've followed every thread from people who had this issue
and I still don't get it how stupid BOTH BMWNA and service depts can be. I am
speechless...
Appreciate 0