BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

My car was in the shop recently for a bunch of maintenance work, part of which was installing new spark plugs and ignition coils. I purchased this ignition service kit from FCP Euro:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-12137841754kt

After installation, the car would start and run for about 1-2 seconds before the DME killed it and produced error codes for all 8 coils. We swapped one of the coils back to OEM and the code for that coil went away. We then swapped all of the coils back to OEM and the car fired right up.

During removal, one of these coils completely fell apart as seen in the picture. I have a hard time believing these are truly OE coils. FCP Euro lists these as made by Eldor and repackaged by STI, but between the questionable build quality and the fact that my car would not run with these, it appears I either got a bad batch or STI started packaging some sort of aftermarket garbage instead of real OE. Either way, I would advise others to stay away and only run BMW OEM coils.

On the bright side, I contacted FCP about this issue and they handled it perfectly. They sent me 8 OEM coils overnight at no extra charge as well as a return shipping label for the bad coils.
Attached Images

Last edited by Iyzmi; 12-11-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11571.50
      12-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I'm always very skeptical of parts these days... lots of cheap knockoff stuff being made and rebranded or labeled as OEM.

I recently ordered a new "OEM" HID ballast for my Audi from Amazon. FCP wanted $300 for a OEM ballast, I found one on Amazon for $60 from a somewhat big parts seller too... What arrived was clearly not a OEM part. It came in a zip lock bag. It was dirty, rough metal finish and a completely different shape than OEM. But it had OEM stickers on it. I sent it back.
      12-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Genuine coils sold aftermarket have the roundel ground off the cap. The coil in your pic doesn't look like that.

Pricing is usually a give away as to whether the original BMW supplier actually manufactured it.

$ Aftermarket = A manufacturer that produces their own part compatible with an original design or dimension.
$$ OES = Original Equipment Supplier. A supplier to any OEM, not necessarily BMW.
$$$ OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. This is supposed to indicate that this part was made by the manufacturer that supplies it to BMW.
$$$$ Genuine = Official BMW licensed part with full BMW warranty.

With today's savvy buyers always looking for genuine quality at aftermarket price, sellers will stretch any truth the can to make their product sound like it's no different than what you'd get from the dealership. I've even seen sellers replicate official BMW parts labels pasted to their packaging in an effort to appear genuine.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I installed these very coils a few months back with no issues since. I think you got a bad batch.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
I installed these very coils a few months back with no issues since. I think you got a bad batch.
Yeah, I figured someone would chime in saying they've used these without issues. Between a couple positive mentions I've seen on here and FCP's lifetime warranty, I saw no reason to pay extra for the genuine BMW coils. I have to assume most people who buy these don't have issues otherwise FCP would stop selling them altogether. When I called them, they told me they had never heard of this happening before.

Like I said, it could be a bad batch or STI started repackaging a different brand coil (not Eldor) without notifying their vendors. Who knows...I'm just here to share my experience but YMMV, buy at your own risk.
      12-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Yeah, I figured someone would chime in saying they've used these without issues. Between a couple positive mentions I've seen on here and FCP's lifetime warranty, I saw no reason to pay extra for the genuine BMW coils. I have to assume most people who buy these don't have issues otherwise FCP would stop selling them altogether. When I called them, they told me they had never heard of this happening before.

Like I said, it could be a bad batch or STI started repackaging a different brand coil (not Eldor) without notifying their vendors. Who knows...I'm just here to share my experience but YMMV, buy at your own risk.
Glad you shared. Things change and I appreciate you letting us know.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Can you share some pics of the top of your coil for me?
I would like to know if they look the same as these ones that I bought.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1612366
      05-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Can you share some pics of the top of your coil for me?
I would like to know if they look the same as these ones that I bought.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1612366
I sent these back and replaced them with OEM coils. IIRC, mine did not come in an orange box and did not have roundels on the top like yours.
      05-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #9
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I'm happy to hear FCP took care of you though!
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 11:43 PM   #10
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
I sent these back and replaced them with OEM coils. IIRC, mine did not come in an orange box and did not have roundels on the top like yours.
I suspect mine are OEM coils from the factory with the etchings removed.
You can tell when the two black roundel area has a rubber touch to it.
You can also tell by the engravings on the cap. They look like they were directly from the bosch factory. The supplier was Hudson.
      05-29-2019, 01:25 AM   #11
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

for high cost consumable oem parts like this, i stick with oem and buy from fcp. sucks, but it only sucks once. you'll save money the next time this maintenance comes around.