BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-29-2009, 05:02 AM   #1
bigbadwolf
Rep
Drives: 2008 black dct coupe

Question dinan vs hre wheels

I have a 2008 e92 dct and I bought it with 18" wheels, because I was looking to upgrade them in the future. Im leaning towards the dinan's to help out the understeer. does anyone already have them? can anyone suggest a better wheel. Im looking to get 19" in black finish. Im looking for 1 piece wheels. the problem with the hre's I noticed is the size difference between the front and rear increases which cause more understeer....

im also looking to get dinan exhaust, software, carbon air filter. vorsteiner boot lid. any radiator upgrades to bring down the weight of the front of the car?

thanks!
Jim
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

HRE
      08-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #3
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
HRE

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

DINAN...by a mile.

The DINAN 19's are stronger (8000 TON FORGED), lighter (20lbs, each), and more unique than the HRE monoblocks. (which a number of other forum members have already)

They also come with a beautiful polished outer wheel lip that contrasts the black spokes.

If you buy the HRE's, you'll be just another guy with HRE monoblocks. (nothing special)

But if you buy the DINAN wheels, you will definitely stand out. (very rare wheel)

It's not even a close call in my book.

BTW: The lack of any real concavity on the HRE monoblocks is very disappointing for wheels that cost 5-6k IMO.
      08-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Like LMB said, if you're looking for quality over style, then Dinan is a MUCH better wheel.
Too bad you're too late for the RAC wheel.

Also, you may want to shop in the "Sponsor" forum here for other options that may be better and will definitely cost less than Dinan for your other mods.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Dinan gets my vote.
I had hem on my e46 M3 and they were stunning.
      08-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

For more quality and individuality, DINAN.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Does Dinan even make their own wheels? Or do they outsource them?

HRE all the way.

Last edited by Ca$hOnly; 08-29-2009 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
+1
I don't think they would buy all the machines necessary to make a few wheels
      08-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:

HRE all the way.
They are made in the same factory as Champion and RAC wheels in Japan.
      08-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Somehow (at least to me):
Dinan wheels only look good when you have Dinan everything with their specs.

Love their lightweight forged wheels and they're extremely rare.
They use very wide size wheels and recommend specific spacers/tires size to help understeer issue.

And yes- they're made by the same factory Champion/RAC use.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
emesdub
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

it would be nice to match all your dinan parts w/ dinan wheels. but imo, hre monoblocks are more appealing. and the hre's don't weigh that much more either.

either way, you can't really go wrong. good luck w/ your decision!

Last edited by emesdub; 08-30-2009 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
Somehow (at least to me):
Dinan wheels only look good when you have Dinan everything with their specs.

Love their lightweight forged wheels and they're extremely rare.
They use very wide size wheels and recommend specific spacers/tires size to help understeer issue.

And yes- they're made by the same factory Champion/RAC use.
I hate adding spacers. One shouldn't need to add spacers if they were built for a particular model..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Hmm...

It seems there are quite a few misconceptions about how aftermarket wheels are made, so I'll try to clarify the process for everyone...

DINAN monoblock wheels are 8000 TON forged in Japan by TANEISHA.

Taneisha is a premier forged wheel manufacturing plant. They have been building forged wheels for 30 years, and their excellent reputation within the industry is well documented. They also produce the NEEZ, CHAMPION, OZ RACING, and RAC MONOLITES brands. They also build Forged Aluminum and Forged Magnesium race wheels for a number of auto racing series around the world. ALMS (American LeMans series), WRC (world rally car), WTC (world touring car), IRL (Indy Racing League) and F1 (Formula One) just to name a few.

The Dinan wheels are built in a streamline 'turn key' process, where the factory does everything from start to finish. (forging, milling, powdercoating, packaging and shipping) There are no third-party companies involved in the overall manufacturing process. Everything is done in-house.

HRE monoblock wheels are built in three different phases. Two of the three phases are outsourced to other companies.

The 4000 TON forged blanks (that HRE uses) are sourced from their third-party supplier. (APP)

APP manufactures forged blanks for several different wheel brands.

The forged blanks are then milled to the proper wheel design (with the custom offset they choose) on HRE's in-house HAAS 5-axis CNC machines.

Once the wheel design has been 'cut', the wheels are then sent to their third-party coating facility. The powder coated finish (that was selected by the customer) is applied and baked.

The newly powdercoated wheels are sent back to HRE for final inspection, and the wheels are then boxed up and shipped out to the customer.

So as you can see...neither company actually 'builds their own wheels' per sey. (without a lot of outside help) It's difficult to explain to the average wheel buyer how expensive it would be to actually build a fully operational wheel manufacturing plant.

Rough estimate? You are talking about 40-50 million bucks in todays dollars. (property+machinery)

So it's much easier (and a lot more practical), to just outsource this type of manufacturing to someone that already has that capability. (and experience)

The ugly truth is...virtually every aftermarket wheel you can buy, is made by only a handful of companies. The cost of doing it any other way is staggering. (even for someone like HRE)

Only a few brands actually own the factory itself, the necessary high-tonnage forging presses, the custom built tooling dies (to make forging blanks), the CNC lathes, drilling, milling, and polishing machines (to create a particular design), the chemical treatment tanks (to prevent corrosion), the surface media blasting machines (to make the surface perfectly smooth), the surface powder coating and painting lines, the huge commercial heating ovens (to bake the paint or powedercoated finishes), all the in-house design and engineering resources (FEA), the JWL/VIA certified lab testing facilities, the QA/QC resources for inspecting the finished products, the in-house packing and shipping resources, etc., etc, etc...

That's a lot for ONE wheel company to pull off (alone), without using any outside resources. Just about every brand uses at least one (or more) third-party resource(s) to build their aftermarket wheel products. In a large number of the cases, the entire wheel manufacturing process is done by an outside source. (or multiple sources working together)

Now there is nothing wrong with doing that...if you choose your wheel manufacturing partners wisely. If not, tracking down an 'issue' (that may arise later on), could be problematic. Since the product passes through several different hands, it may take some time to isolate where the problem originated.

This is the primary reason why some multi-piece modular wheel brands cannot correct a customer service issue involving poor fitment or sub-standard finish issues. (within a reasonable time frame)

While the customer is waiting to get the issue resolved, the 2 or 3 different third-party contractors (hired by the wheel brand) are bickering among themselves in regards to who screwed up.

Meanwhile, the customer is totally unaware that any of this is happening behind the scenes.
      08-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I hate adding spacers. One shouldn't need to add spacers if they were built for a particular model..
I hate spacers that use for just for the look.
But Dinan always requires spacers no matter what model it is.
This is information directly from Dinan:

Included Items:
(2) 19 x 9.5" Front Wheels
(2) 19 x 10" Rear Wheels
Wheel Spacer Kit
Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor Valve Stems

Recommended Tire Sizes:
275/30-19 in front, 295/30-19 in rear

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 04:10 AM   #16
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Hmm...

It seems there are quite a few misconceptions about how aftermarket wheels are made, so I'll try to clarify the process for everyone...

DINAN monoblock wheels are 8000 TON forged in Japan by TANEISHA.

Taneisha is a premier forged wheel manufacturing plant. They have been building forged wheels for 30 years, and their excellent reputation within the industry is well documented. They also produce the NEEZ, CHAMPION, OZ RACING, and RAC MONOLITES brands. They also build Forged Aluminum and Forged Magnesium race wheels for a number of auto racing series around the world. ALMS (American LeMans series), WRC (world rally car), WTC (world touring car), IRL (Indy Racing League) and F1 (Formula One) just to name a few.

The Dinan wheels are built in a streamline 'turn key' process, where the factory does everything from start to finish. (forging, milling, powdercoating, packaging and shipping) There are no third-party companies involved in the overall manufacturing process. Everything is done in-house.

HRE monoblock wheels are built in three different phases. Two of the three phases are outsourced to other companies.

The 4000 TON forged blanks (that HRE uses) are sourced from their third-party supplier. (APP)

APP manufactures forged blanks for several different wheel brands.

The forged blanks are then milled to the proper wheel design (with the custom offset they choose) on HRE's in-house HAAS 5-axis CNC machines.

Once the wheel design has been 'cut', the wheels are then sent to their third-party coating facility. The powder coated finish (that was selected by the customer) is applied and baked.

The newly powdercoated wheels are sent back to HRE for final inspection, and the wheels are then boxed up and shipped out to the customer.

So as you can see...neither company actually 'builds their own wheels' per sey. (without a lot of outside help) It's difficult to explain to the average wheel buyer how expensive it would be to actually build a fully operational wheel manufacturing plant.

Rough estimate? You are talking about 40-50 million bucks in todays dollars. (property+machinery)

So it's much easier (and a lot more practical), to just outsource this type of manufacturing to someone that already has that capability. (and experience)

The ugly truth is...virtually every aftermarket wheel you can buy, is made by only a handful of companies. The cost of doing it any other way is staggering. (even for someone like HRE)

Only a few brands actually own the factory itself, the necessary high-tonnage forging presses, the custom built tooling dies (to make forging blanks), the CNC lathes, drilling, milling, and polishing machines (to create a particular design), the chemical treatment tanks (to prevent corrosion), the surface media blasting machines (to make the surface perfectly smooth), the surface powder coating and painting lines, the huge commercial heating ovens (to bake the paint or powedercoated finishes), all the in-house design and engineering resources (FEA), the JWL/VIA certified lab testing facilities, the QA/QC resources for inspecting the finished products, the in-house packing and shipping resources, etc., etc, etc...

That's a lot for ONE wheel company to pull off (alone), without using any outside resources. Just about every brand uses at least one (or more) third-party resource(s) to build their aftermarket wheel products. In a large number of the cases, the entire wheel manufacturing process is done by an outside source. (or multiple sources working together)

Now there is nothing wrong with doing that...if you choose your wheel manufacturing partners wisely. If not, tracking down an 'issue' (that may arise later on), could be problematic. Since the product passes through several different hands, it may take some time to isolate where the problem originated.

This is the primary reason why some multi-piece modular wheel brands cannot correct a customer service issue involving poor fitment or sub-standard finish issues. (within a reasonable time frame)

While the customer is waiting to get the issue resolved, the 2 or 3 different third-party contractors (hired by the wheel brand) are bickering among themselves in regards to who screwed up.

Meanwhile, the customer is totally unaware that any of this is happening behind the scenes.
Where do you get your knowledge from? Have you been to the HRE warehouse/factory? I'm pretty sure they did some of this in the past, but do everything in-house now.
      08-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

HRE does not have a foundry.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #18
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where do you get your knowledge from? Have you been to the HRE warehouse/factory? I'm pretty sure they did some of this in the past, but do everything in-house now.
HRE does not own an Aluminum metal foundry, a high-tonnage forging press (4000,6000,8000 TON), the machinery to build spun aluminum inner barrels or outer rim lips, or a Dry Carbon Fiber outer barrel production plant. They outsource the manufacturing of these items to third-party suppliers.

APP builds the forged aluminum monoblock wheel blanks for HRE.

HRE then uses in-house CNC machinery to cut the face (spoke design) of the wheel. (this is the part they actually 'build')

P40 CNC-machined then powder coated in Textured Black

As for the HRE 3-piece wheels...

APP builds the forged center discs (that will eventually become one of HRE's wheel designs after CNC machining)

Triangle Alloys builds the inner rim barrels and outer wheel lips for HRE.

Dymag corporation builds the Carbon Fiber outer wheel barrels for the HRE Carbon Series. (mated to HRE's cut centers)

HRE then assembles these components to create the wheel widths, lips and offsets the customer ordered.

Clarification: HRE does do some powder coating in-house now. (limited to standard finish colors only) They do outsource this phase if the customer wants a custom paint or powder coated finish.
      08-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #19
slipstream
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue E90 M3 [sold]

Yeah, not the best idea to question someone who's worked in the wheel industry.

I think HRE has some nice designs, but Dinan's wheel is stronger and lighter. I just wish they had more than the single wheel design. Their seven spoke design just doesn't do it for me. I'm very happy to have gotten in on the RAC group buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #20
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep

Lemans,

Thanks for the clarification.
      08-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #21
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

LMB, what happens to all that extra metal that's CNC'ed off? I hope they can re-use it somewhere??

Is there a reason they "only" use 4000 TON forging?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #22
MGZT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

To Lemans_Blue_M - that's a very good info. I am in the market for a set of wheels. What other brand of wheels that is using 8000 ton forging to make their wheels? Thank you so much for the good info . This site is great.
Appreciate 0