BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
The Sony Playstation "Next Gen Portable" aka PSP2 revealed

This is the successor to the PSP:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/27/ps...tion-portable/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystiq
Mock it up, talk it up and leak it out all you want, only Sony has the power to actually bring the so-called "PSP2" into the world -- and that moment has come. The "sequel" to the PlayStation Portable was made official today (like, just now!) during a press event in Japan, looking every bit as -- well, that thing looks like the PSP, doesn't it?

Codenamed "NGP" -- that's "Next Generation Portable" Entertainment System -- the device has been designed with five core tenets buzz phrases in mind, according to Sony: Revolutionary User Interface; Social Connectivity; Location-based Entertainment; Converging Real and Virtual; and PlayStation Suite Compatibility.

But what does that mean? For starters, the new hardware features dual analog sticks; a 5-inch OLED display (with 960x544 resolution -- four times the PSP's); a front touchscreen and rear touchpad (woah!); 3G, WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS; and, for good measure, the same six-axis motion system that propels the Move, plus a three-axis compass -- oh, and we can't forget the front and rear cameras (those come standard these days). Of course, the NGP plays games, too, which will be offered on new flash memory–based cards (so long UMD!) that feature added storage for DLC and game saves.

The NGP is coming this holiday season.

Update: Complete hardware specs, provided by Sony, are posted after the break.

"Next Generation Portable Entertainment System" Hardware Specs

CPU: ARM Cortex-A9 core (4 core)

GPU: SGX543MP4+

External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screen: 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED

Touchscreen: Multi-touch screen (capacitive type)

Rear touchpad: Multi-touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras: Front camera; rear camera

Sound: Built-in stereo speakers; built-in microphone

Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer); three-axis electronic compass

Keys/Switches: PS button; power button; directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left); action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square); shoulder buttons (Right/Left); right and left sticks; Start button; Select button; volume buttons (+/-)

Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G); IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1) (Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode); Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Front and rear cameras, built in microphone and 3G? Im guessing there will be something very similar to Facetime (maybe Skype?) available for this. Also, I wonder how in-depth the PSN connectivity will be. Will be be to the level of the PS3, where it shows what game you are playing, trophies, etc? The press release states that you will be able to have real-time communication thru the PSN with your friends. Thats awesome!

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
people still buy these???

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Contemplating whether all those features are useful or not makes me feel old
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
JohnSprm69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
people still buy these???
thats exactly what i thought
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsprm69 View Post
thats exactly what i thought

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
They had a serious chance to get it right this time, and it looks like they still dropped the ball. Yes, they finally added dual sticks, but media based portable gaming is not the way to go. I have no idea why they wouldn't tap into their own PSN Store and allow gaming on-demand.

Unless that is what they have planned, and they didn't announce all the details. It would only make sense to have 3G so that you can download games directly to on-board storage or a memory card.