BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-05-2020, 10:10 AM   #14939
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
So what's the consensus (or lack thereof) on LSD's?
I love my Giken Superlock. The amount of grip it gives on corner exit is insane. It's like a totally different car. Giken is 100% daily driveable too.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      12-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #14940
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Diff is next on my list, can't wait! Likely getting from Florian.
derbo3608.50
Kelse921131.50
      12-05-2020, 11:27 AM   #14941
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ram 3500, f80M3, e36M3

I'm looking to move my AiM smartycam to my headrest for now. Anyone have a mount they've used before they can recommend? I searched but didn't find anything....
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #14942
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36clubracer View Post
I'm looking to move my AiM smartycam to my headrest for now. Anyone have a mount they've used before they can recommend? I searched but didn't find anything....
tackform has been great.

https://www.tackform.com/collections...-action-camera

12-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #14943
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
I have a cruise cam mount I can sell you for cheap if you are still using OE seats. I think I have a ram ball mount on it.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832575
      12-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #14944
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Diff is next on my list, can't wait! Likely getting from Florian.
Your mailbox is full so I can't reply.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #14945
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
I made one out of misc ram mount parts and a 1/2" aluminum pipe from Home Depot.

Haven't been on the track yet but so far it is rock solid on the street with my smartycam. I was just using my GoPro for mock up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      12-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #14946
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

I second TackForm. I went with a narrow FOV but I will have to test more settings next time around with the new Hero9.. I am little bummed that GoPro is having issues with the USB-C 3.5mm adapter with the Hero9.. :|

Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 10:52 PM   #14947
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
Is anyone here using the ApexPro LED device that shows you tire grip level?

It's doing much more than that.

If you already have an AIM Solo DL, you can do virtually the same thing with the programmable lights.
      12-06-2020, 12:23 AM   #14948
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
I stuck one in my car for a session a couple of weeks ago at an event, I did an out lap, one lap with traffic, and had a clean flyer to do a time within .3 of my fastest time earlier that day just to see what the device looked like. Plus I was running out of gas and couldn’t make it any more laps lol
It is only as good as the data you feed it and really one session was not enough so I can’t comment on the percentage rating it gives because it gave me a 97% and I ended up going nearly a second faster later that day on the same tires..(I’ll get to that in a second though)
The thing it is good for though is data review on the fly. I hate schlepping out the laptop every time I want to look at the aim data. The apex pro makes it easy on your cell phone and it was very easy for the advanced classroom instructor to do data review with it by sharing the laps between phones and using iPhone AirPlay to put it on the TV in the classroom. The UI is nice and easy to generally see your lines overlaid on a satellite view of the track and it has an easy speed trace/g plot/etc you can look at as well. Just with that quick data review and some discussion with a few people in the classroom it made it quick and easy for me to make some changes to my lap and go faster so in that regard it’s great! Just depends on how you use it.
I love my aim but I’m not a fan of trying to mess with it during a busy day at the track and usually look at data at home and do a download post-event. I think the apex is great for same-day quick review and the aim is still better if you want an overall in-depth approach.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 01:45 AM   #14949
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Quote:
I stuck one in my car for a session a couple of weeks ago at an event, I did an out lap, one lap with traffic, and had a clean flyer to do a time within .3 of my fastest time earlier that day just to see what the device looked like. Plus I was running out of gas and couldn't make it any more laps lol
It is only as good as the data you feed it and really one session was not enough so I can't comment on the percentage rating it gives because it gave me a 97% and I ended up going nearly a second faster later that day on the same tires..(I'll get to that in a second though)
The thing it is good for though is data review on the fly. I hate schlepping out the laptop every time I want to look at the aim data. The apex pro makes it easy on your cell phone and it was very easy for the advanced classroom instructor to do data review with it by sharing the laps between phones and using iPhone AirPlay to put it on the TV in the classroom. The UI is nice and easy to generally see your lines overlaid on a satellite view of the track and it has an easy speed trace/g plot/etc you can look at as well. Just with that quick data review and some discussion with a few people in the classroom it made it quick and easy for me to make some changes to my lap and go faster so in that regard it's great! Just depends on how you use it.
I love my aim but I'm not a fan of trying to mess with it during a busy day at the track and usually look at data at home and do a download post-event. I think the apex is great for same-day quick review and the aim is still better if you want an overall in-depth approach.
I think apex and catalyst are valuable for finding same day improvement or actionable items, at least on paper it seems like it!

I agree with you about aim being good for post day analysis and not so well on same day unless you have a specific thing you are chasing.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 03:50 AM   #14950
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I stuck one in my car for a session a couple of weeks ago at an event, I did an out lap, one lap with traffic, and had a clean flyer to do a time within .3 of my fastest time earlier that day just to see what the device looked like. Plus I was running out of gas and couldn't make it any more laps lol
It is only as good as the data you feed it and really one session was not enough so I can't comment on the percentage rating it gives because it gave me a 97% and I ended up going nearly a second faster later that day on the same tires..(I'll get to that in a second though)
The thing it is good for though is data review on the fly. I hate schlepping out the laptop every time I want to look at the aim data. The apex pro makes it easy on your cell phone and it was very easy for the advanced classroom instructor to do data review with it by sharing the laps between phones and using iPhone AirPlay to put it on the TV in the classroom. The UI is nice and easy to generally see your lines overlaid on a satellite view of the track and it has an easy speed trace/g plot/etc you can look at as well. Just with that quick data review and some discussion with a few people in the classroom it made it quick and easy for me to make some changes to my lap and go faster so in that regard it's great! Just depends on how you use it.
I love my aim but I'm not a fan of trying to mess with it during a busy day at the track and usually look at data at home and do a download post-event. I think the apex is great for same-day quick review and the aim is still better if you want an overall in-depth approach.
I think apex and catalyst are valuable for finding same day improvement or actionable items, at least on paper it seems like it!

I agree with you about aim being good for post day analysis and not so well on same day unless you have a specific thing you are chasing.
I am mostly interested in the grip green-red light while driving. I am not looking to use it for data analysis at the paddock.

Were the grip lights were helpful while driving?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #14951
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
I am mostly interested in the grip green-red light while driving. I am not looking to use it for data analysis at the paddock.

I didn’t really use them honestly, but I think programming the aim to do this might be more beneficial if you have a newer Gen one with the lights. Again. I think the lights on the ApexPro probably are useful I just didn’t use the device long enough to really see

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 08:07 AM   #14952
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I didn’t really use them honestly, but I think programming the aim to do this might be more beneficial if you have a newer Gen one with the lights. Again. I think the lights on the ApexPro probably are useful I just didn’t use the device long enough to really see
You just gave me an idea.
I can program alerts based on the gps-LongAcc and GPS-LatAcc.

I have to find the formula for G-Sum and program that as a match channel on the EVO5 then display it on the GS-Display
Appreciate 1
Kelse921131.50
      12-06-2020, 06:40 PM   #14953
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
I've noticed my rollbar mounted gopro vibrates very bad when I have a big slide on track. Anybody else have this?

Also, on the lsd again, has anyone ever run a 1way? I’m kind of drawn to that idea, as I don’t really see the need for lockup during braking on this car.

Last edited by Bartledoo; 12-06-2020 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #14954
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't really use them honestly, but I think programming the aim to do this might be more beneficial if you have a newer Gen one with the lights. Again. I think the lights on the ApexPro probably are useful I just didn't use the device long enough to really see
You just gave me an idea.
I can program alerts based on the gps-LongAcc and GPS-LatAcc.

I have to find the formula for G-Sum and program that as a match channel on the EVO5 then display it on the GS-Display
Blah,
I have the formula but I can't enter it into the EVO5 or the GS Display.

I programmed the GPS-LatAcc to turn on a blue light when hitting 1.0g but I don't know how useful that would be.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 07:21 PM   #14955
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

If anyone is interested in converting the stock rear arms to spherical bearings:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26987555
Appreciate 2
//steve\\1074.00
Bartledoo2691.50
      12-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #14956
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
I've noticed my rollbar mounted gopro vibrates very bad when I have a big slide on track. Anybody else have this?

Also, on the lsd again, has anyone ever run a 1way? I'm kind of drawn to that idea, as I don't really see the need for lockup during braking on this car.
No experience on an E92 M3, but my E36 diff from diffsonline was open on coast and I used a Torsen on a 135i track car. If it suits your style better I see no reason why not. Like a lot of setup related things it's mainly preference, no right or wrong option honestly.

That being said, keep in mind the stock diff DOES lock under coast, just not a ton.
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      12-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #14957
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
No experience on an E92 M3, but my E36 diff from diffsonline was open on coast and I used a Torsen on a 135i track car. If it suits your style better I see no reason why not. Like a lot of setup related things it's mainly preference, no right or wrong option honestly.

That being said, keep in mind the stock diff DOES lock under coast, just not a ton.
Ah that’s the kind of info I need.
      12-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #14958
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Stepped long-tube headers and high-flow cats ordered. Next step: schedule appointment for install and tuning.
Attached Images

///Mobbin1478.00
      12-07-2020, 02:13 PM   #14959
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Stepped long-tube headers and high-flow cats ordered. Next step: schedule appointment for install and tuning.
for a second i was like wow someone making S65 headers..oh wait..
Appreciate 1
//steve\\1074.00
      12-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #14960
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ram 3500, f80M3, e36M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Thanks I ordered a Tackform mount from Amazon. Hopefully it will do the trick!
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11586.00
dparm3849.50