BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #23
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

They look nice. I can punch through the stuff they're mounted on, and I'm old and kind of wimpy.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #24
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
no way in the world i'd mount a TV with those anchors, regardless of rating.

You need the big fuck off anchors with the pull cord that butterfly once through the wall.
Oh shit! You're right! My bad!!! The one's he mentioned are the correct ones.

Previous post edited. Good catch!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #25
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Jaye would do it!!
No he wouldn't!

He would start a thread here about it, then make a video, then post it on youtube, then post it here, then hire a contractor to do it, then post a video about not being sure it was done right, then get upset after everyone makes fun of him.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
No he wouldn't!

He would start a thread here about it, then make a video, then post it on youtube, then post it here, then hire a contractor to do it, then post a video about not being sure it was done right, then get upset after everyone makes fun of him.
Yeah, that's DIY, jaye-style
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
I install home surveillance systems as a side gig. A lot of residential and commercial installs ask us to mount their monitors/tv's. We always try to mount to studs, however to center the monitor/TV hitting a stud isn't always an option. In these situations we use these.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-10-...cluded/3183815

Always fish the wires, it's just a cleaner look. We use these.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-Rec...Boxes/50110952
with a 2 gang plastic wall box, I couldn't find a link to what we use. I also recommend having an electrician place a receptacle behind the TV for your power supply. I've seen people run extensions cords behind drywall, DO NOT DO THIS. This is against building code and in the event that a fire begins here, your homeowners insurance will not cover the damages.

As for using a stud finder, I keep this one in my tool bag.

https://www.amazon.com/CH-Hanson-030...ic+stud+finder

I have some high dollar stud finders and they are hit or miss. This guy is cheap and is extremely effective.

When determining location of the TV, I recommend sitting in the location that you would normally sit while watching TV. If possible, try to position the center of the TV to your eye level. We have gone as far as to measure the height of the floor to viewers eye level and then position the center of the TV to the same height. This reduces eye strain.

After installation, these are always a nice touch.

https://www.amazon.com/BASON-Lightin...+for+behind+tv
All the mounts I've used which I think are Sanus allow you to slide the TV left and right to accommodate situations where the mount can't be installed on the wall dead center and still hit the wall studs. They're not articulating but do allow downward tilt.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      10-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #28
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
If it's a new display turn it on and test it before doing anything.

Definitely only mount your tv by grabbing studs... At least one stud plus anchors! Two stud minimum for articulating.

It's worth it to buy a nice mount (Chief) if you going articulating. I personally would only buy Chief regardless of type. Keep in mind articulating mounts fold up thicker and your display will stand off the wall more.

Run a hard wired network connection (Cat6) to the TV and any external streaming sources (AppleTV for example) if possible. Add two spare Cat6 for future use. I'd run a optical digital (Toslink) cable while I'm at it... Audio Return Channel is finicky.

Make sure you're running an 18gbps-capable HDMI cable. You're going to need more than one HDMI if your TV is going to be tasked with switching sources.

Companies make "bridge kits" that let you relocate power and stay within code. This is an example from Datacomm....

https://datacommelectronics.com/prod...t-blade-inlet/
Attached Images

10-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #29
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
no way in the world i'd mount a TV with those anchors, regardless of rating.

You need the big fuck off anchors with the pull cord that butterfly once through the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I'm sorry but there's simply no way I'm hanging a 75" TV from any kind of drywall-only mounting point.
Agree! if you're planning on mounting a TV on the wall you have to...I mean have to have the tv mounted to both studs. I would never rely on just one stud. also, like mentioned above some brackets allow you to slide you're tv left or right just in case the studs are off centered. When Black Friday comes i'mma swap out my 70" to a 80" and it should be just a matter of swapping out the brackets on the back of the TV since they're universal
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Violator4587.50
      10-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #30
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
BE sure to install at least FOUR power outlets behind the TV, not just TWO.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 1
Violator4587.50