BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
purespeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 67 cobra

Japanese water powered car

A Japanese venture company, Genepax, has unveiled a car on that runs on water. All it requires is a litre of water. In fact, any kind of water to be exact, whether its river, rain, sea water, or even Japanese tea. Its an electric powered car that runs solely on hydrogen dioxide.
"The main characteristic of this car is that no external input is needed. The car will continue to run as long as you have a bottle of water inside for you to add from time to time," said Kiyoshi Hirasawa, Chief Executive Officer of Genepax, after he proudly announced the company's invention.

According to the company, 1 liter of water keeps the car running for about an hour with a speed of 80 kilometers or 50 miles an hour.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Sweet!
      06-16-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

In other news, the price of water just went up to $200.00 USD per barrel.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
In other news, the price of water just went up to $200.00 USD per barrel.
i can't believe you've done this
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

this is very interesting. its great for the city!
      06-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

interesting tech indeed. But definately not the first ones to acomplish this i'm sure. I've seen clips on internet years ago about a man who accomplished the same thing. But he kind of got ignored i guess lol
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

If this really does what they claim it does (separates hydrogen and oxygen via chemical reaction) then it really could pave the way for the future of hydrogen fuel cells. Right now hydrogen fuel cells separate oxygen and hydrogen through extremely inefficient electrolysis which, in many cases, requires more energy to perform than the process actually generates. Would love to see something like this work out!

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
This car was introduced exactly a year ago, and by february of this year, the company had shut down.

Conspiracy? Or not?

They possibly used Metal Hydrides, that react with water to release hydrogen. But the hydrides deplete with time, so must be replenished, and are expensive. Moreso than batteries. So it could all have been smoke and mirrors.

As said on another site:

"But there's a question we'd like to ask those who are so certain that 'water cars' (with water as the only fuel, and not as an energy carrier via hydrogen) already work and are somehow kept hidden: If some people had that technology, why would cars be the first thing they try to make? That's hard, with huge supply chains and massive capital investments, lots of regulations and red tape, etc. Why not make power plants right next to rivers (or just use tap water) and sell the power?

They could start very small (less than 1 megawatt) to show that it works. That would be much more profitable, no? Or even sell the technology to makers of portable electronics, which don't have vested interests in oil and cars.

So why aren't we hearing about 'water power plants' (other than hydro), or 'water powered laptops'? It's always 'water cars', and mostly when gas prices are up. Could it be that it's just a really nice story that strikes the imagination (the image of pouring water in a fuel tank is powerful), the way many urban legends do?"

Yeah, if I were doing it, the first thing I'd make is a portable generator that ran off of a small water tank or even off a garden hose. Something like this:

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 12:54 AM   #9
whyrms
Private
Rep
Drives: foot mobile.

They're just using water as a medium to power the car. The water is not the actual power provider, it's the electric generator that sits in the back of the car that's providing the power. Water is highly stable. What these people are doing is that, the use the energy provided by the electric generator to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. Then using hydrogen to power the car. It's pretty stupid if you ask me...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Oooh lovely, I suppose they're working on a cold fusion reactor too.....

B S
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

So whenever I run out of gas or in this case water......I can just piss into the tank and I'm good to go ?

Anyway, I hope this technology becomes successful as this will minimize pollution by a huge margin.
      06-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
Kenix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by purespeed View Post
A Japanese venture company, Genepax, has unveiled a car on that runs on water. All it requires is a litre of water. In fact, any kind of water to be exact, whether its river, rain, sea water, or even Japanese tea. Its an electric powered car that runs solely on hydrogen dioxide.
"The main characteristic of this car is that no external input is needed. The car will continue to run as long as you have a bottle of water inside for you to add from time to time," said Kiyoshi Hirasawa, Chief Executive Officer of Genepax, after he proudly announced the company's invention.

According to the company, 1 liter of water keeps the car running for about an hour with a speed of 80 kilometers or 50 miles an hour.

orly
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

hydrogen fuel cells= boring as hell (it's basically electric)

Hydrogen Combustion is the way to go! Hydrogen has much more energy than gas too, so it will be easier to make Veyrons and the like. :P

2023 Bugatti: 2.5L engine producing 1400 HP...
2023 Civic: 0.42L engine producing 150 hp

lol

and to make any new engine technology successful, they have to make a big sports car version *cough*
and a cool way to market it, instead of being 'green'
      06-22-2009, 05:09 AM   #14
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
Oooh lovely, I suppose they're working on a cold fusion reactor too.....

B S
a cold fusion reactor is actually an ongoing research...its not as far fetched as you believe...and imo, in the next 100 years its going to be like the lightbulb was to our recent memory.
      06-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #15
cougfan335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe MT, Montego/Saddle

This does sound a lot like cold fusion, but somehow it also magically powers the car and recharges the batteries neccessary to separate the hydrogen and oxygen. Scientific researchers the world over have been trying to solve this problem for a long time. I remember in high school I had a good discussion with my physics teacher about how close they were to "breaking even" (getting more energy from burning hydrogen than it takes to separate it from the oxygen in water). It hasn't happened yet and this car company has not figured it out either. I suspect this car is draining the heck out of its battery to power an unneccessary go between to power to the wheels.
e92 335i: Montego, Saddle Brown, Burl Walnut, MT, Sport, Prem, CW, PDC, Rear Shade. Mods: JB4, BMS Dual Intake, Cyba Scoops, Beyern Mesh Chrome 19" wheels, 15% F1 tint, LeatherZ weighted shift knob, body color reflectors, Matte black grill with Montego surround, middle lower grill removed, left and right lower grills painted black.
Appreciate 0