BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

02-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
VoIP and Skype help

alright people, as title says.

what are main difference between the 2?

i have a windows mobile 6.1 phone and want to call internationall cheap with good quality, what's my choice? i have had enough of the phone cards that i have to buy from the web. and my parents are giving me shit on not calling them regularly and telling to get VoIP as they have it on their computer. i want to call from my cellphone cause i'll be able to call anywhere i want.

anyone have experience with both?

both these have to have internet connections in order to work right? so maybe i should keep a phone card with me incase connection sucks

i make calls to South Africa and Taiwan home phone and cellphones but unlikely the receeving party will these softwares, if that matters.

so spill your opinions and ideas or maybe is there even a better solution?
      02-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 S6 + 2017 340 M sport

Well... just to clarify a couple things. Skype is a VoIP protocol. Anytime you are sending voice packets over an IP link, you are technically using VoIP.

I believe the two you really should be comparing are SIP and Skype. If there is a skype client for your phone you will probably end up having an easier time getting things to work. If you decide to go with SIP, you will need to find two components:

1 - a SIP client for your phone. This will be a piece of software which will be able to communicate using the SIP protocol with your SIP provder (see next)

2 - a SIP provider. You will need to get service from one of the many SIP gateway providers. They will all have varying rate plans and varying rates to different countries.

You will have to pay for calls either way. VoIP isn't free, but you will probably be able to make very cheap international calls using either.

I would say you should go the way of Skype... I am guessing your level of success will be higher.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2010 View Post
Well... just to clarify a couple things. Skype is a VoIP protocol. Anytime you are sending voice packets over an IP link, you are technically using VoIP.

I believe the two you really should be comparing are SIP and Skype. If there is a skype client for your phone you will probably end up having an easier time getting things to work. If you decide to go with SIP, you will need to find two components:

1 - a SIP client for your phone. This will be a piece of software which will be able to communicate using the SIP protocol with your SIP provder (see next)

2 - a SIP provider. You will need to get service from one of the many SIP gateway providers. They will all have varying rate plans and varying rates to different countries.

You will have to pay for calls either way. VoIP isn't free, but you will probably be able to make very cheap international calls using either.

I would say you should go the way of Skype... I am guessing your level of success will be higher.

well thanks for the great info. never used before and thanks for clarifying my noob questions.

i have the HTC Touch Pro GSM version and i don't have the Skype cliet or APP.
i think i'll go with Skype
well i guess i'll have to go try it out hmm...
so i guess just d/load the Skype from their website and install to phone and call away.

wait, if i use WiFi connection and call international land line, do i still have to pay cause i think i remember when people used to call from their notebooks/laptops and don't have to pay, or did i get it wrong again?

my carrier is T-Mobile so i guess i have to pay if i use EDGE but WiFi (lets say, i'm at home and connected to my wireless)?