BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

GetBMWParts

03-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
jpra923
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Front lip protection?

Just wondering what people are doing, if anything, to protect their front lip from rockchips and scratches? I'm thinking of getting xpel professionally installed or doing it myself with the paint protection wrap from metrorestyling.

I appreciate your input, thanks!
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
dparm
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpra923 View Post
Just wondering what people are doing, if anything, to protect their front lip from rockchips and scratches? I'm thinking of getting xpel professionally installed or doing it myself with the paint protection wrap from metrorestyling.

Xpel (and similar films) will not help against bigger rocks and debris or scraping due to clearance issues. It will give some protection against the smaller stuff.

I use these "splitter guards" on my car which do help a little bit:
https://zl1addons.com/collections/co...orvette-c7-z06
      03-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3 6MT

Sole reason I bought reps.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
jpra923
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Xpel (and similar films) will not help against bigger rocks and debris or scraping due to clearance issues. It will give some protection against the smaller stuff.

I use these "splitter guards" on my car which do help a little bit:
https://zl1addons.com/collections/co...orvette-c7-z06
Interesting. I'll look into those guards. And if paint protection films don't help much, I might just save the money for something else. Perhaps even do it myself since it doesn't look that hard. I would hate to pay for it professionally when it doesn't really help.

Thanks for you input. I hope to hear more from others!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
dparm
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I'll look into those guards. And if paint protection films don't help much, I might just save the money for something else. Perhaps even do it myself since it doesn't look that hard. I would hate to pay for it professionally when it doesn't really help.

Thanks for you input. I hope to hear more from others!

The films are still very useful and will slow down the "sandblast" damage that happens over time.

Ultimately, if you get a lip, you have to just learn to live with the fact that it will get a bit beat up. If this bugs you and you want the car to look perfect, don't get a lip.
      03-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #6
XPEL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Say Yes to PPF

Quote:

It's very common to apply paint protection film to front lips/splitters. We also appreciate you considering XPEL as your protection film. One thing you could do is to double layer the film. This is a popular method as it'll give you twice the protection and if the first layer gets damaged you can always remove it and still have one layer there.

Best of luck! Let us know if we can answer any questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
dparm
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
It's very common to apply paint protection film to front lips/splitters. We also appreciate you considering XPEL as your protection film. One thing you could do is to double layer the film. This is a popular method as it'll give you twice the protection and if the first layer gets damaged you can always remove it and still have one layer there.

Best of luck! Let us know if we can answer any questions.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought to do that. Any impact to clarity? Is it obvious that there are two layers?
      03-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
XPEL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Clear Bra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought to do that. Any impact to clarity? Is it obvious that there are two layers?
It's not quite as clear as just one layer, but I'd say it's hardly noticeable. You'll still be happy with the way it looks and will still want to take it to car shows.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #9
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT

I have XPEL PPF on my splitters, they still look like new after approx. 12k of driving. Absolutely worth it. The constant sandblasting from stones and debris will chip away at the finish very quickly, otherwise. PFF costs less than replacement splitters or lips, so that's a no brainer to me.

Appreciate 1
XPEL126.00