BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #45
ToddinTN
Both Feet In
109
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: 2011 SG DINAN E93 M3
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powashiftin View Post
And available at FCP Euro with lifetime warranty...
Discounted with free shipping to boot!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #46
Richbot
Brigadier General
1736
Rep
4,863
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (5)

If, like me, you've been hurt before going too #becauseracecar on your streetcar and regretted it, I don't think you run that risk with these at all
__________________
Appreciate 3
ToddinTN108.50
derbo1015.50

      03-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #47
vitalsigns
Private
27
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
- Rubber lower shock bush, stock mounts front and rear
- Not too much front spring
- Fewer moving parts (single damping adjuster, no strut length adjustment)
- 25%+ cheaper than the other options (because a simpler design see above)
- OEM supplier of the E9x suspension

Believe the KW3 uses a progressive front spring which means the rate is a bit of a black box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
If, like me, you've been hurt before going too #becauseracecar on your streetcar and regretted it, I don't think you run that risk with these at all
Thanks for that.

Mine is a street car only. Just looking to squeeze some better handling/feel out of the car. Contemplating coilovers, solid subframe bushings and carbon fiber driveshaft.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #48
Richbot
Brigadier General
1736
Rep
4,863
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (5)

Thought I'd provide a quick fitment check for everybody for clearance to the front strut at slightly-below-ZCP collar height (lower spring perch/adjuster collar level with the sidewall, basically)

275/30-19 Michelin PS4S on a 9.5" ET23 (220M) - fits no problem, about a finger's thickness of room

285/40-17 Conti ECS on a 10" ET25 (Apex 17x10 Arc8) - Fits (but basically zero clearance) plenty of clearance with a 5mm spacer

I'll update as a I know more. Most 275 street tires will be no problem on a 10" ET25 at this ride height, but anything more than that will probably need a small spacer to leave room for things to deflect when loaded. I think 285/30-18 would probably work too because it's so much shorter but I haven't checked yet. A tire that runs wide like the AD08 might pose some problems too.

So, similar to some of the other coilover strut setups in this regard.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:04 AM   #49
Mterested
New Member
Mterested's Avatar
2
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Honolulu, Hi

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
The upper mount pin on the shocks takes the standard non-EDC upper mount (EDC cars have 12mm vs. 10mm iirc)
Thanks to Richbot for taking the plunge on these and sharing your findings. I just ordered today from FCP Euro, but looks like it will be a good idea to go ahead and order up new non-EDC upper mounts and some fresh bump stops.

I'm currently running original EDC setup on an '09 with about 65k miles on Hawaii roads. I plan to run the supplied rear springs and am still looking forward to a more compliant ride. As my original dampers have degraded, "comfort" setting is very crashy and easily upsets the chassis. "Sport" is better paired with the factory non-competition springs for DD IMO, but tends to bounce because the dampers can't rebound quick enough.

I purchased the car less than 2 years ago with about 52k miles on the clock, so I don't actually know what a fresh M3 suspension should feel like.

Edit: I see bump stops are internal. I'll just need to reuse the OE bump stop cups.

Last edited by Mterested; 04-21-2019 at 04:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #50
Richbot
Brigadier General
1736
Rep
4,863
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (5)

I'm considering, mostly because I'm a masochist, going ahead with installing the rear adjusters but instead of using the OE-style springs Sachs supplies, using a Swift ~600lb/in rear spring. Goal is some more weight loss, a little more roll stiffness and a little more compliance (Swift springs are, supposedly, a little more compliant at small displacements) rather than track hotness. Will report back
__________________
Appreciate 1
ToddinTN108.50

      04-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #51
Richbot
Brigadier General
1736
Rep
4,863
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Thought I'd provide a quick fitment check for everybody for clearance to the front strut at slightly-below-ZCP collar height (lower spring perch/adjuster collar level with the sidewall, basically)

275/30-19 Michelin PS4S on a 9.5" ET23 (220M) - fits no problem, about a finger's thickness of room

285/40-17 Conti ECS on a 10" ET25 (Apex 17x10 Arc8) - Fits (but basically zero clearance) plenty of clearance with a 5mm spacer

I'll update as a I know more. Most 275 street tires will be no problem on a 10" ET25 at this ride height, but anything more than that will probably need a small spacer to leave room for things to deflect when loaded. I think 285/30-18 would probably work too because it's so much shorter but I haven't checked yet. A tire that runs wide like the AD08 might pose some problems too.

So, similar to some of the other coilover strut setups in this regard.
275/40-17 Falken Azenis RT615K+ on a 10" ET25 (Apex 17x10 Arc8) - Fits with 8mm of clearance to the spring perch, no spacer. Could go significantly lower without any interference if I wanted to.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #52
415cpa
Private
17
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Did you guys take any pics during install of these coilovers? Any additional updates on driving impressions?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #53
Richbot
Brigadier General
1736
Rep
4,863
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (5)

I still like them. These falkens seem to want a little more damper and Iím considering adding a click - thatís some breaking news for you right there

The balance is really, really good with the setup i have on the car now but itís not just the coil overs doing that.

I donít have pics. They look pretty much the same as all the others, stainless struts, blue springs
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #54
415cpa
Private
17
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I still like them. These falkens seem to want a little more damper and Iím considering adding a click - thatís some breaking news for you right there

The balance is really, really good with the setup i have on the car now but itís not just the coil overs doing that.

I donít have pics. They look pretty much the same as all the others, stainless struts, blue springs
Thanks for the feedback. I have 150k miles on the original EDC dampers and I think it's time to refresh the suspension. These coilovers might be the ticket. What are your opinions on these coilovers for a daily driver?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #55
Richbot
Brigadier General
1736
Rep
4,863
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (5)

My car is a daily driver
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #56
aus
Major General
United_States
583
Rep
8,718
Posts

Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
My car is a daily driver
Thanks for the updates.
How does the ride compare to your old MCS?

I'm trying to decide on some coils now. I have 1 way coils and want to go 2 way now but my car is a daily with 8-12 track days a year.
I was going to get the KW Clubsports but don't like the front wheel clearance issues. Ohlin R&T was another consideration but the springs seems a little soft. JRZ and MCS are a little more than I want to spend but I'm leaning towards just saying F-it and get the MCS 2WNR.
Thanks for any insight.
.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 06-11-2019 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #57
Richbot
Brigadier General
1736
Rep
4,863
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (5)

Ride is just as good as it was on the MCS. The Sachs damper adjuster primarily changes compression, however, which means ride penalties if you crank them up. It gets stiff feeling in a hurry, without the upsides of good rebound control after the initial hit. The suspension has a longer memory than it did on the MCS in other words.
__________________

Last edited by Richbot; 06-13-2019 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
aus583.00

      06-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #58
Richbot
Brigadier General
1736
Rep
4,863
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (5)

No sooner had I posted up how much I like these than I found a stuck adjuster on one of the rear shocks. FCP Euro to the rescue

Hopefully just a QA issue and not something fundamental with the design. These have about 5000 street miles on them
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #59
Richbot
Brigadier General
1736
Rep
4,863
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (5)

Ok I got the adjuster unstuck. Pro tip - adjust these more than once every 6 months if you're daily driving.

Also, I tried cranking these up a fair amount and after a certain point the ride really doesn't get much worse than the "soft" settings. I'm at "10 clicks" out of 20, so right smack in the middle of the adjustment range, and it feels pretty much exactly the same as EDC Sport in my friend's E92 I rode in a few months ago. I kinda like it. The car settles down super-quick over bumps now. I suppose it makes sense as the dampers start to get a "knee" curve after a certain point in the adjustment range which the feeling I'm used to on "good" dampers. The harshness over small stuff is unchanged, it's just a bit busier over small heaves and concrete expansion joints, but also feels a lot better controlled.

It is definitely a busier ride than the MCS for the same control. But I like them a lot more cranked up than I did cranked down. The MCS double remotes were always tied-down feeling until the very bottom
Of the softest adjustments where it could start to float. You have to get the Sachs further to to their range to get the same control, and their valving just doesn’t have that pimp shocks “it factor” that seems to perfectly balance rise and control. But it’s tolerable and some of that is the very aggressive tire I’m running
__________________

Last edited by Richbot; 06-14-2019 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #60
aus
Major General
United_States
583
Rep
8,718
Posts

Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Ride is just as good as it was on the MCS. The Sachs damper adjuster primarily changes compression, however, which means ride penalties if you crank them up. It gets stiff feeling in a hurry, without the upsides of good rebound control after the initial hit. The suspension has a longer memory than it did on the MCS in other words.
Have you had a chance to drive this suspension on the track?
Are these 1 way adjustable shocks?
Just wondering how they'll handle on the track compared to the MCS. Obviously not expecting the same level of control.
Thanks!
.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #61
Richbot
Brigadier General
1736
Rep
4,863
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (5)

This setup is now on sale for even cheaper than it was when I got mine:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/coi...e-841500118460
__________________
Appreciate 3
6ixSpd4304.50
osukf0931.50
JsL395.50

      08-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #62
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
6ixSpd's Avatar
Canada
4305
Rep
5,667
Posts

Drives: '12 M3, '12 135i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: 416

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
This setup is now on sale for even cheaper than it was when I got mine:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/coi...e-841500118460
Saw that the other day. So incredibly tempting... Ugh.
__________________
'12 M3 6MT | Alpine White + Fox Red Extended

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #63
JsL
Major
United_States
396
Rep
1,190
Posts

Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
This setup is now on sale for even cheaper than it was when I got mine:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/coi...e-841500118460
Wow, that's a crazy price! Thanks for sharing.

Currently have Ohlins R/T which I really like. If I were to quickly summarize Ohlins vs stock EDC, the Ohlins just plain works in soaking up bumps and transitions. Larger bumps are absorbed and don't unsettle the car. It's a cool feeling. The trade off is you feel the road more on the little bumps, ie follows the road surface more (which is probably why you upgraded the suspension to begin with?)

I'm curious how these compare and the price point is very inviting.

Last edited by JsL; 08-20-2019 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 06:59 PM   #64
GeorgeA
Captain
GeorgeA's Avatar
United_States
293
Rep
928
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Wow, that's a crazy price! Thanks for sharing.

Currently have Ohlins R/T which I really like. If I were to quickly summarize Ohlins vs stock EDC, the Ohlins just plain works in soaking up bumps and transitions. Larger bumps are absorbed and don't unsettle the car. It's a cool feeling. The trade off is you feel the road more on the little bumps, ie follows the road surface more (which is probably why you upgraded the suspension to begin with?)

I'm curious how these compare and the price point is very inviting.
Yes I'm interested in this as well. I wonder how they compare to the Ohlins.
Appreciate 1
daarts15.00

      08-26-2019, 01:23 PM   #65
aus
Major General
United_States
583
Rep
8,718
Posts

Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (10)

Are these 1 way or 2 way adjust able coils?
.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #66
JackieChiles
First Lieutenant
JackieChiles's Avatar
129
Rep
376
Posts

Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
Yes I'm interested in this as well. I wonder how they compare to the Ohlins.
Iím in the market and itís hard to go with these over ohlins, though Iíd like to because of the price

Looks like spring rates are similar ?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST