BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #45
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Some people have a tendency to belittle others choices in order to feel more comfortable about their own. Don't worry about it. Just enjoy your car.
+ 1. Same thing on the 3-series (non-M forum). I originally wanted a non-iDrive car and boy, it was like 98% vs. 2% who thought that would be a shitty decision. People sure had strong opinions about the importance of a "loaded BMW".

In the end, I couldn't order my car. I think my iDrive is great but if I decide to order a new E92 M3, I'm passing on the double hump.
      10-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #46
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Order it how you want mate, its always going to be somewhat of a comprimise.

My car is a relative "stripper". My options are powered speed cloth seats, cold weather pack, and 19s.

Positives of this

-lighter car (maybe in my head, but I can tell difference from fully loaded (nav/sunroof/extended leather/edc) m3 that i test drove before buying mine
-less complicated to operate
-much cheaper purchase price, so overall better value since I find the options to be the least important part of the m3

Negatives

-not as much tech, so nav isnt there if you would ever want/need it
-sunroof is nice at times (which i dont have)
-extended leather is pretty nice

Overall, I made the right choice for me. I saved over 8k from the next closest AW e90 in the country, and my car had less miles. To me, it was worth it.

I love my car as is, if you love your car, then you made the right choice!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #47
JB_Vert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
...The only reasons i got idrive just because it makes the dash look better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolonios View Post
Amen to that!!! I barely touch the I-Drive at all and the navigation although usable is a far cry from a $100 Garmin.

But it definitely makes the dash look nicer.

Going to have to dissent on the look of the second hump. To my tastes, it doesn't belong.

I've got the premium package and heated seats--no DCT, no EDC, no i-Drive, no "M" button, no ZCP, not even the premium sound. I do like the leather, trim and little gadgets (auto-dimming mirrors) that come in the PP, but I simply refused to pay for the second hump. I passed on two other cars because of the hump, as the dealers were not willing to pay me enough to take them.

In the end, I benefitted from my relatively utilitarian tastes because seemingly no one wanted the poor single-humped mutant in a remote corner of the lot.

It only took a couple of years with a therapist to get over the lack of an "M" button. But, I don't like to talk about it. We're still working on the "E93 is not a real M3" thing. Some days (sunny ones) are better than others, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel--particularly with the top down. The occasional nightmare where I show up back in high school without ZCP is also starting to subside.

My name is Stewart Smalley, I don't have a fixed carbon fiber roof, second hump, or ZCP, but, doggone it, people like me.

JB
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #48
GeoXP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 - Space Grey - ZCP

Buy the car you want, forget the BS comments. You still have an M3. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #49
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Dude chill. Wait 6 years when all the Edc cars break, the Dct is old crap and doesn't work, and the navi is worthless. I have a 40 dollar nav app on my iPhone that is unreal. Ask most of the old m3 guys (like me) options mean nothing when the cars are out of warranty. My m isn't a stripper but it's not loaded. I ordered it exactly as I wanted. Everyone will want a manual. Just like the e46. Smg was the latest and greatest now it's slop and unreliable.
OP this is type of stuff you'll most likely see and read. People bashing certain features and options to justify their purchase. If you choice to not have features or options that's your call.....we are not licking that stamp every month to make your payment. Cars are as individual as the socks we choose to put on every morning. Get what you want and stop worrying or concerning yourself with what others think. High self esteem is the cure for all of this nonsense ..............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #50
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Typically when a car is referred to as a base model, that's referencing the least powerful engine offered, no? I never knew options for accessories determines a base model or not. There is no base M3. There's just M3s with minimal options.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #51
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Hey, just enjoy it! I suppose it is worthy to say there may be issues with the options, a "stripper"is a tough sell in the used market. Used buyers will inevitably want nav or something else. Especially if you got the car without leather. Not to mention the usual conclusion is it was done to save weight to use as a track car. Who wants to buy a used M3 without a warranty that was a regular track car?

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #52
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Typically when a car is referred to as a base model, that's referencing the least powerful engine offered, no? I never knew options for accessories determines a base model or not. There is no base M3. There's just M3s with minimal options.
An M3 has a base price just like any other car, right? So, what that price buys you is a "base M3". You can call it whatever you want, but that's what it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #53
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Same engine as all other E9x. That's all that matters in the end. Options are nice but at the end of the day, what is going to put the smile on your face? The sweet sound of that V8 at 8400rpm.
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #54
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
An M3 has a base price just like any other car, right? So, what that price buys you is a "base M3". You can call it whatever you want, but that's what it is.
What I stated makes more sense than what you stated. You're simply purchasing options. Some useful. Some trivial. Base price and base model aren't the same although I'm certain you'll continue to argue so.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #55
48Laws
Banned
Rep

If you want to get technical, our cars are 3-Series. A base 3-Series would be the 328. The M Division enhances the performance of our 3-Series, creating an M3. Again, this argument Is semantically annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #56
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What I stated makes more sense than what you stated.
Nonsense. Insisting that "There is no base M3" as you have done is absurd. You are splitting hairs for no apparent reason. There's no need to reinvent the language here, and doing so certainly is not helping out anyone nor solving any problem. It is simply creating confusion, and beckoning for a debate when there is no need for one.

Quote:
Base price and base model aren't the same although I'm certain you'll continue to argue so.
I won't and didn't in the first price, since they are not the same. The base price is a monetary value. That price is associate with (but not the same thing as) the base car. It is exactly analogous to the fully-loaded price being associated with the full-loaded car.

Furthermore, I didn't even use the words "base model". You did.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #57
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you want to get technical, our cars are 3-Series. ... The M Division enhances the performance of our 3-Series, creating an M3.
Way off base. The M3 is based upon the E9x chassis, but is a distinct product from the 3 series.

Quote:
A base 3-Series would be the 328.
True (in the US market) but irrelevant. The 3 series has different trim levels, whereas the M3 does not. It is just as valid to call a no-option 328i a base 328i as it is to call a 328i a base 3 series.

Quote:
Again, this argument Is semantically annoying.
Then why did you start it by making inane claims?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #58
48Laws
Banned
Rep

@ Mkoesel

I used the term because it's of topic in this thread, genius. Your entire argument is ego-driven and only serves as more ways to cause derision in the community and to make those who wasted thousands of dollars on a navigation that's not even superior to my $180 Garmin, btw, feel a bit more at ease with such wastefulness.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #59
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@ Mkoesel

I used the term because it's of topic in this thread, genius.
And it is the topic of the thread because it is the proper term to describe the car the OP is asking about. If it wasn't then everybody would have corrected the OP, or not understood what he was talking about. Look through the thread - no one else has a problem with the terminology but you.

Quote:
Your entire argument is ego-driven...
Your insistance on attempting to redefine the language itself is the definition of ego.

Quote:
..and only serves as more ways to cause derision in the community and to make those who wasted thousands of dollars on a navigation that's not even superior to my $180 Garmin, btw, feel a bit more at ease with such wastefulness.
What the hell is your problem? Someone's insecurity is sticking out like a sore thumb. Get a grip.

Oh and by the way, I happen to own a very low option car myself. It has DCT, ZPP, ZCW, trim, assist, and 6FL. No ZTP, no EDC, no IDrive, no CA. And if someone considers that a base M3, that's absolutely fine with me.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #60
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Lol. I'm a participant in this thread, not the OP, so how am I insecure? You seem to be fighting tooth-and-nail to protect this trivial definition. Base model? At this price point, that's funny. Listen, the 0-60 time doesn't suffer because one doesn't have parking sensors on the bumper. lol

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #61
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol. I'm a participant in this thread, not the OP, so how am I insecure?
Ok so being insecure has nothing to do with who makes the first post. There's that little fact for you. And then you keep embarassing yourself with stuff like this...

Quote:
Listen, the 0-60 time doesn't suffer because one doesn't have parking sensors on the bumper. lol
...even after I've made it abundantly clear that I don't have PDC, I certainly don't have a loaded M3, nor do I care one bit how somebody chooses to options their car. You're so caught up in yourself that not only are you are arguing for the sake of arguing, but you are arguing a point which was never even up for debate between us.

Quote:
You seem to be fighting tooth-and-nail to protect this trivial definition. Base model? At this price point, that's funny.
And you seem to be incapable of admiting you are wrong. "There is no base M3" - lol. By definition there is, even though this fact has gotten you all butt hurt.

Quote:
Enjoy!
And you be sure to keep on enjoying being a pain in the ass for no reason!

But don't let your insecurity keep you from enjoying your base M3. It's still an M3, get over it and move on.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #62
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

As I alluded to in a previous comment the OPs original usage of the term 'base' was in the context of 911S vs. 911-base which is a common distinction in Porsche circles and refers to models with different engine displacements and related systems, accessories, performance. In this context, there is no such thing as a M3 'base'.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #63
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Thank you. There is, however, a standard M3, which comes equipped standard with arguably the best option, the carbon fiber roof. So, to "un-base" one's car, would they have to get the metal roof? Hmmm. I don't see how the most sought after and possibly most expensive material in auto manufacturing today would generally be on a "base" model. That's why I have issue with the current splitting of hairs coming out of that genius' mouth. Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #64
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Well great. Someone better notify edmunds, then.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/m3/2012/

And here's a base Ferrari 458.

http://www.edmunds.com/ferrari/458-italia/2010/

Thanks for playing though.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #65
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588462
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504753
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552358
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586841

Some more threads for the "no base" police to crack down on. Now get out there and clean up this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #66
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Haha. Your ego has you so upset, you resort to spending all afternoon to locate Edmunds, of all automotive journalism sources lol, to simply find the term, base. You do excellent work. I wonder why your little fingers avoided BMW USA where "base" only refers to the MSRP and not the model? Everything else references, standard. Perhaps that destination would make you look even more obtuse?

I like how you failed to address the fundamental error I noted above about "base".

You lack context like a child misusing a term.
Appreciate 0