BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

04-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Stoptech 2-Piece Lightweight Aero Rotors for your E9x M3

StopTech® AeroRotor® Replacement Kits (ARK) are designed to replace your vehicle's original factory rotors, while retaining the factory brake calipers. Although the ARK is the same diameter and thickness as the factory rotors, it offers improved cooling, braking, and handling.

The directional, floating AeroRotors allow independent expansion of the rotor and hat without "coning," thanks to elongated drive pin holes. ARK components include AeroRotor friction rings with patented internal vane design, pre-assembled to billet aluminium AeroHats with directional stand-offs that optimize cooling airflow.

The patented AeroRotor vane design pushes up to 80% more air than factory rotors for better cooling and reduced fade on the track.

The aircraft-grade aluminum hats and 2-piece AeroRotors are up to 8 pounds lighter than stock rotors, allowing faster acceleration and deceleration, and improved handling.

StopTech AeroRotors are available slotted or cross-drilled. These slots or holes allow better dissipation of heat, friction material and debris, assuring that fresh pad material is in contact with the rotor every time the brakes are applied. An optional anti-corrosion, zinc finish is available for customers in cold climates, where salt and chemicals are used to melt snow and ice. The zinc coating also benefits customers who prefer no visible surface rust on the vanes and outer circumference of the rotors.

StopTech AeroRotors are 100% made in the USA.

StopTech AeroRotor Rings

The patented 2-piece AeroRotor assembly uses uniquely designed and patented AeroVanes® inside the disc to optimize airflow through the rotor. This improved directional design minimizes turbulence and flows up to 61 percent more air than any other rotor tested. The result is up to 80 percent better airflow over original equipment rotors and 10-30 percent better airflow than other directional vane racing rotors currently available. Better airflow equals better cooling, and better cooling means less fade and better overall brake system performance.
StopTech AeroRotors also feature a proprietary alloy chemistry. By adding molybdenum to the gray iron, carefully targeting a narrow range of hardness and tensile strength values, and controlling the cooling rate of the rotor after casting, StopTech produces a friction ring with added crack resistance as well as improved functionality.

Super strong Inconel® drive pin washers - as used in aircraft engines and other racing applications - are practically impervious to oxidation or corrosion even at extreme temperatures.
Street rotors use a curved drive pin washer to add tension to the hat assembly, reducing rattle. Race applications use a flat washer that allows full freedom of movement between hat and friction ring.
StopTech AeroHats feature directional stand offs to further improve airflow and cool the rotor.

Elongated drive pin slots allow separate expansion of rotor and hat to resist coning.
Tapered slots allow evacuation of debris that might otherwise accumulate with straight-cut slots.
Drive pins used to affix the hat to the rotor have a slightly out-of-round hole and are self-locking. They withstand high temperatures much better than typical lock washers and allow drive pins to move freely, yet securely, as hat and rotor expand at different rates.

Drive Pins

In certain applications where packaging is an issue - such as on the Chevrolet Corvette - StopTech uses slant-head drive pins to provide improved clearance as pads wear.

Zinc Plating

Zinc Plating, available on StopTech AeroRotors, prevents corrosion. This is particularly useful in winter climates where road salt and other environmental factors may increase the likelihood of oxidation.

Front axle only

360 x 30 mm rotors
21.4 lb. each

For more information please visit:

http://www.hpashop.com/Stoptech-Aero...ero-F9x-M3.htm
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #2
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Look nice! I like the slotted only option.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Is this a new option if we don't go bbk?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #4
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep

It appears to be an option similar to ECS Tuning, PFC direct drive, etc. type of replacement with the replaceable friction rings.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 10:40 PM   #5
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

It says "front axle only" does this mean they only made replacement disk for the front?
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 10:50 PM   #6
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedE93 View Post
It says "front axle only" does this mean they only made replacement disk for the front?
Yes.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
Is this a new option if we don't go bbk?
Yes, it is a good option. You will get the full benefit of the Stoptech Aero Rotor, but not the 4 or 6 piston caliper.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
It appears to be an option similar to ECS Tuning, PFC direct drive, etc. type of replacement with the replaceable friction rings.

Both PFC and Stoptech have been around a long time. Brakes is all about all they do so I would put my trust in them.

I don't know if the ECS rotors have additional vanes and improved vane design to aid cooling. In addition, their 2-piece design may not be full floating either. Lastly, the rotors and/or hat may be made in China. You get what you paid for. Think twice about your brakes though...It's one thing if your car failed to start, it's another if it failed to stop.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #9
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Are rear rotors available?
      04-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Rear rotors are hard to engineer for 2 piece floaties. The e-Brake drum causes havoc to the mounting surface from the hub to the rotor ring...There's just no space to put that additional floating hardware AND accommodate a drum for e-Brake. I've NEVER seen a rear 2 piece design that doesn't involve new caliper or modified pad (PFC DirectDrive for E46 M3 comes to mind, so does RacingBrake rotors).

I suspect it's highly unlikely that engineering problem has been solved, otherwise SOMEONE would have come out with it. And few vendor (read: NONE) will take on the liability risk to make one that removes the drum brake hardware, IMO.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2
tlrid3r513.50
      04-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Rear rotors are hard to engineer for 2 piece floaties. The e-Brake drum causes havoc to the mounting surface from the hub to the rotor ring...There's just no space to put that additional floating hardware AND accommodate a drum for e-Brake. I've NEVER seen a rear 2 piece design that doesn't involve new caliper or modified pad (PFC DirectDrive for E46 M3 comes to mind, so does RacingBrake rotors).

I suspect it's highly unlikely that engineering problem has been solved, otherwise SOMEONE would have come out with it. And few vendor (read: NONE) will take on the liability risk to make one that removes the drum brake hardware, IMO.
What he said.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #12
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

So is this really any major improvement if I keep stock calipers and upgrade the front Rotors to these? Not sure of the price but not sure 8lbs of unsprung weight is really going to make a significant enough difference. Any reviews of these?
      04-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
So is this really any major improvement if I keep stock calipers and upgrade the front Rotors to these? Not sure of the price but not sure 8lbs of unsprung weight is really going to make a significant enough difference. Any reviews of these?
8lbs of unsprung weight makes a difference. Maybe not something you'd feel daily driving, but it makes a difference in a more responsive front end where some your steering occurs IMO.

Form a performance perspective, floating rotors not only keep heat from transferring to your hub (I've tracked my MZ4 Coupe heavily for 10 years on Racing Brake 2 piece floating rotors), thus keep going your wheel bearing in better shape for longer, but the openings in the mounting hardware area allow more ambient air to enter the rotor cooling vanes, effectively manage heat better (although the 2 piece rotors from BMW already do this). The OTHER big benefit is the ability to change rotor rings rather than throw the whole rotor away.

Can't speak for others, but I've found a moderate improvement over stock MZ4 rotors when I switched to a lighter 2 piece slotted rotor that allowed for reusing the hub hardware. In the 10 years tracking and 2 sets of front rotors, I saved about $500 in hardware cost too.

It is definitely more of a LONG term investment.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2
//steve\\1074.00
      04-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
8lbs of unsprung weight makes a difference. Maybe not something you'd feel daily driving, but it makes a difference in a more responsive front end where some your steering occurs IMO.

Form a performance perspective, floating rotors not only keep heat from transferring to your hub (I've tracked my MZ4 Coupe heavily for 10 years on Racing Brake 2 piece floating rotors), thus keep going your wheel bearing in better shape for longer, but the openings in the mounting hardware area allow more ambient air to enter the rotor cooling vanes, effectively manage heat better (although the 2 piece rotors from BMW already do this). The OTHER big benefit is the ability to change rotor rings rather than throw the whole rotor away.

Can't speak for others, but I've found a moderate improvement over stock MZ4 rotors when I switched to a lighter 2 piece slotted rotor that allowed for reusing the hub hardware. In the 10 years tracking and 2 sets of front rotors, I saved about $500 in hardware cost too.

It is definitely more of a LONG term investment.
I could not have typed it any better!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #15
The HACK
Rep

There's a few glaring typos. I'm sure you could have done better.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There's a few glaring typos. I'm sure you could have done better.
No one is judging on typos or grammar mistakes here.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 08:44 PM   #17
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
In the 10 years tracking and 2 sets of front rotors, I saved about $500 in hardware cost too.
2 rotors in 10 years?!
      04-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #18
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
2 rotors in 10 years?!
Remember my car is 3,200 lbs soaking wet.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 11:54 PM   #19
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My 1995 I-stock M3 was 3275 empty w/o me (min weight for I-stock -- I had 80+ lbs of ballast in the car to make weight) and I went through rotors like I went through tires (heat cracks, no wear). Add 100 HP with the S54 to that equation and I'd say you're doing very, very well. :thumbs:

FWIW, ECS is releasing rear floaters for the E46M3 very soon (CSL fitment too, iirc).

OP: If I get what I pay for, shouldn't I buy BMW rotors (or PFC?)? I like to get the best value, which is what I think you meant.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 02:06 AM   #20
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger
Quote:
My 1995 I-stock M3 was 3275 empty w/o me (min weight for I-stock -- I had 80+ lbs of ballast in the car to make weight) and I went through rotors like I went through tires (heat cracks, no wear). Add 100 HP with the S54 to that equation and I'd say you're doing very, very well. :thumbs:

FWIW, ECS is releasing rear floaters for the E46M3 very soon (CSL fitment too, iirc).

OP: If I get what I pay for, shouldn't I buy BMW rotors (or PFC?)? I like to get the best value, which is what I think you meant.
Above stock rotors with pfc08 not sure if worth it?

Looks like a cheap alternative. But I'm guessing you can buy two pairs oem per these so to me it's a wash pretty much.
      04-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #21
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Above stock rotors with pfc08 not sure if worth it?

Looks like a cheap alternative. But I'm guessing you can buy two pairs oem per these so to me it's a wash pretty much.
Stock rotors with PFC08 pads are a good combo too.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #22
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Stock rotors with PFC08 pads are a good combo too.
For intermediate drivers. I would burn through a set of 08s sometimes in a weekend (maybe) most times in a day (at least at Summit Point) with stock rotors.

When I went with a 2 piece design the wear has reduced significantly. Its a combo of cooling and most importantly not have some 'drilled holes' eating up the pads.

Very satisfied, the savings paid off right away and I am on my 3rd replacement ring which I replace with my tires after 8 track days on average.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0