BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

ticket...

I got a ticket this morning for chirping my tires a little when turning left a light in order to get out of the way quickly. I didn't think it was a crime, but apparently it is. $35 oh well...made me late for work tho >
      07-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Kdawgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 space grey

Better than mine. 79 in a 50. Oh well, made it 14 mos without a speeding ticket. It's the price of admission.
      07-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep

its been almost 2 years since my last speeding ticket...i try be good most of the time
      07-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

lol - do any of you have a radar detector? Is it worth getting?
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep

i do not, but if you want a good one (V1) its like 400 and i dont really speed enough to spend 400 bucks on a radar detector.
      07-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
tunnie
l33t
Rep
Drives: M3

what exactly was the violation on the ticket? i got one for chirping tires... was like unable to maintain control of vehicle or some bs like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
bim14
BIMMM3R
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 6MT AW/SO

i had a v1...but if u try putting it on the front windshield and you have a tint on the back window it most likely won't catch a signal...so I went with the k40 undetectable front/rear w/ both front/rear laser diffusers. It's an awsome setup, and very discreet.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
v1 all the way.. it paid for itself in the first week of owning one.. i couldnt tell you how many times it has saved me on the high way... driving w/o one is like walking through a crowded place ass naked.. just doesnt feel right..
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnie View Post
what exactly was the violation on the ticket? i got one for chirping tires... was like unable to maintain control of vehicle or some bs like that.
it was like a disturbing the peace or some bullshit...whatever. its only a $35 citation and im not in my home state so whatev...im just mad about having to wait for his dumb ass 20 mins
      07-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
john@wickedparts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Going round and round

In SoCal, if the officer really wants to give you a ticket they would cite you for exhibition speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Kadarin
Ambassador of Crunk
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/blk '08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@wickedparts View Post
In SoCal, if the officer really wants to give you a ticket they would cite you for exhibition speed.
Which is 2 points against your record. I got one of these once years ago and bargained it down to "unsafe start".
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
I got a ticket this morning for chirping my tires a little when turning left a light in order to get out of the way quickly. I didn't think it was a crime, but apparently it is. $35 oh well...made me late for work tho >
Chirping your tyres is an offence??? Classic.
What makes me laugh most is that they enforce those sorts of stupid rules while you watch people weave from lane to lane without looking on highways, tailgating and I've never seen any of them get pulled over.

Obviously the dangerous stuff isn't as interesting.
I figure they probably bet to see who can issue the stupidest ticket for the day.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Some cops are just very picky and they watch out for even the small things. Sorry to hear this happened with you. A ticket is very painful. I ruins your day, if not longer.

Get the ticket out of the way and just move on. It happens with almost everyone sooner or later.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Roiling smoke clouds may be more than a "chirp".

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
Roiling smoke clouds may be more than a "chirp".

You can just tell the officer or the court that you accidentally pushed the gas pedal in too much, and then the clutch pedal just slipped off your toe by mistake.... hehe
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
john@wickedparts
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
You can just tell the officer or the court that you accidentally pushed the gas pedal in too much, and then the clutch pedal just slipped off your toe.... hehe
Or I wonder if you tell them that this is your first manual and you are just learning how to work the clutch would fly.

Either way $35 for a ticket and if it doesn't get you a point, consider yourself lucky now days.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #17
Kdawgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 space grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
lol - do any of you have a radar detector? Is it worth getting?
Yes, I have a V1 which is awesome...for radar. Laser is a different story. It certainly lets you know when you have been targeted by a laser gun, but this occurs simultaneously as your speed is being registered by the officer. In other words, the warning sounds to let you know that you have been busted! Unlike radar, laser light is collimated with very little diffusion. Therefore, it is rare for the v1 to pickup a stray laser shot and give advanced warning. The only safe way to navigate past laser detection is to combine the v1 (or other laser/radar detector) with a laser jammer.
      07-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #18
john@wickedparts
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawgm3 View Post
Yes, I have a V1 which is awesome...for radar. Laser is a different story. It certainly lets you know when you have been targeted by a laser gun, but this occurs simultaneously as your speed is being registered by the officer. In other words, the warning sounds to let you know that you have been busted! Unlike radar, laser light is collimated with very little diffusion. Therefore, it is rare for the v1 to pickup a stray laser shot and give advanced warning. The only safe way to navigate past laser detection is to combine the v1 (or other laser/radar detector) with a laser jammer.

yes from my unfortunate personal experience, once that laser alarm goes off its too late. Think of it as a alarm that sets off before you see the blue lights behind you.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #19
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
You can just tell the officer or the court that you accidentally pushed the gas pedal in too much, and then the clutch pedal just slipped off your toe by mistake.... hehe
then the judge will change it to the "unable to control vehicle" charge
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #20
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Can you just tell them that your foot slipped that caused the chirp plus the fact that you didn't over sped. Once in a while, you can chirp your tires without the intention of exceeding the speed limit just like joining the traffic from stop.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #21
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep

no need to go to court for $35...and it was just 2 chirps, one for 1st, one for 2nd. no rolling smoke cloud, sorry guys 7:45 am is just to early for that, haha. it is bogus, but whatev
      07-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #22
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
it was like a disturbing the peace or some bullshit...whatever. its only a $35 citation and im not in my home state so whatev...im just mad about having to wait for his dumb ass 20 mins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
Chirping your tyres is an offence??? Classic.
What makes me laugh most is that they enforce those sorts of stupid rules while you watch people weave from lane to lane without looking on highways, tailgating and I've never seen any of them get pulled over.

Obviously the dangerous stuff isn't as interesting.
I figure they probably bet to see who can issue the stupidest ticket for the day.
Even a little chirp at the wrong place wrong time is going to get you noticed. In that case the ticket is as much for what they've thought you've already done or might do. Sort of a warning for what they see as Mr. Hotshot Car Driver so that you keep things in line.

I'm not saying it's right, or that it even makes sense (especially given Sorehead's excellent argument), but this stuff gets you "noticed" as does lowering the car, tint, exhaust, and the fact it's a "performance car" to begin with. And being noticed in this case is a bad thing when it comes to cops.

Much more noticed that something potentially more dangerous: the soccer mom weaving around in a minivan/SUV or sliding through a stop sign while gabbing on the cell phone or turning around to yell at her kids.

I think the equation is minivan/SUV + mom = safe while M3/performance car + Chirp or _____ = dangerous! I've found just the opposite to be true. I've had more close calls with mom + minivan/SUV than I've ever had with folks in "performance cars". I can think of one or two only in my driving life with real performance car drivers (not guys in ricers but P cars, Vettes; BMWs, Zs, etc.). Close calls with minivans--too many to count!

If I see a minivan/SUV person on the phone, or with kids in the car I avoid them at all costs! Kids + cell phone use--get the hell away from them! Odds are they're gonna do something stupid. (I'll be honest I keep an eye on the ricers too but there aren't that many in burbs compared to minivans/SUVs).
Appreciate 0