BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
jamba
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 Jetblack

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
anybody using Ground Control Articulating height adjuster?

I purchased the GC articulating perch as it came highly recommend by Bimmerworld. my installer tried putting them on with a 9" swift spring in the rear and it seems there isn't enough adjustment for such a long spring. for those of you that have this perch, what size spring are you running?

I don't think it matters but the dampers are 1WNR MCS.
      03-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I have the Rogue version on my E36. Screwed all the way down like a normal spring perch they obviously have no room to articulate. You probably need 1 inch shorter springs than you would use with normal perches.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
jamba
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I have the Rogue version on my E36. Screwed all the way down like a normal spring perch they obviously have no room to articulate. You probably need 1 inch shorter springs than you would use with normal perches.
are there issues with running a different brand spring in the rear but with the right spring rates? I'm able to source eibach rear springs locally in 7 or 8 inches but my fronts are swift springs
      03-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I am not a spring expert but as long as they are the same diameter and rated at the weight per inch you want they should work (Swift may rate in metric but you can do the math to find the closest in a lbs/inch rated brand. The experts debate weight and wire type and thickness and coil bind and each thinks one brand has advantages over another. Eibach is good, Swift is good. You can order Swift online and get them in a few days if in stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
jamba
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Updating this thread in case people search for this same exact issue in the future.

Turns out that the GC articulating rear height adjusters can be cut (they were designed that way) for cars that need to go lower. I spoke to Trevor @ Ground Control to verify this. Even though 8" rear springs are the preferred size, 9" will fit if you cut the rod. The only reason why I went with 9" springs was because it was recommended by Bimmerworld. I got in touch with my sales guy today and he acknowledged that I should have got 8" and the initial recommendation was a mistake. Not really making an effort to make it right. Instead, he countered with selling me a brand new set of springs which isn't really making it right. A bit disappointing given their reputation but it is what it is.

My installer will be cutting the height adjusters today and hopefully all is solved.

Moral of the story:

If you get the GC Articulating Rear Height Adjuster - get a 8" spring
If you get an older-style height adjuster, a 9" spring is fine.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
steven_s
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoneil View Post
Updating this thread in case people search for this same exact issue in the future.
The only reason why I went with 9" springs was because it was recommended by Bimmerworld. I got in touch with my sales guy today and he acknowledged that I should have got 8" and the initial recommendation was a mistake. Not really making an effort to make it right. Instead, he countered with selling me a brand new set of springs which isn't really making it right. A bit disappointing given their reputation but it is what it is.
Wow. I had an amazing experience with BW and yeah I think most people would've told you right off the bat 8in rear spring.

Even though I had a great experience with BW and will be purchasing and consulting with them again in the future; I personally wouldn't let it go. Can't shrug it off and say my bad sold you a WHOLE 1 inch longer spring and not fix the issue as a company. Speak to a manager or someone else I'm sure BW wouldn't want this to be representative of how they deal with errors.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #7
jamba
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_s View Post
Wow. I had an amazing experience with BW and yeah I think most people would've told you right off the bat 8in rear spring.

Even though I had a great experience with BW and will be purchasing and consulting with them again in the future; I personally wouldn't let it go. Can't shrug it off and say my bad sold you a WHOLE 1 inch longer spring and not fix the issue as a company. Speak to a manager or someone else I'm sure BW wouldn't want this to be representative of how they deal with errors.
Yeah - the experience was great until something went wrong, which in this case, was on them. The guy I was dealing with was super attentive until I discovered the issue. Then he just stopped responding to my email. I had to call to get it confirmation that their original estimate did in fact contain a mistake. I was going to order Rod Bearings from them and a few other items but I'll just take my business elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 09:25 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

The salesman did not really understand how what he was selling works. That is unfortunate. Sometimes when I deal with Bavauto, the salesman will read from a comments section presumably made up of comments learned from customers, users, etc. I have added to those comments before when I returned products that dud not work or had issues. Hopefully Bimmerworld has something similar so it can better serve the next guy and not lose customers. A salesman can’t know how all products work on all cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 06:12 AM   #9
JustAnothaM4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
Please keep in mind the GC articulating perch is for a "race" application. You may need to do maintenance on the ball bearing inside every now and then so they function correctly.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
enycerz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Do you have helper spring in the rear?

Quote:

Turns out that the GC articulating rear height adjusters can be cut (they were designed that way) for cars that need to go lower. I spoke to Trevor @ Ground Control to verify this. Even though 8" rear springs are the preferred size, 9" will fit if you cut the rod. The only reason why I went with 9" springs was because it was recommended by Bimmerworld. I got in touch with my sales guy today and he acknowledged that I should have got 8" and the initial recommendation was a mistake. Not really making an effort to make it right. Instead, he countered with selling me a brand new set of springs which isn't really making it right. A bit disappointing given their reputation but it is what it is.

My installer will be cutting the height adjusters today and hopefully all is solved.

Moral of the story:

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #11
jamba
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enycerz View Post
Do you have helper spring in the rear?

Quote:

Moral of the story:

no helper. I ended up having my guy cut the weight Jack's and using my 9" spring
      05-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
enycerz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no helper. I ended up having my guy cut the weight Jack's and using my 9" spring
Nice, I have 8" rear spring and plan to order the ground control rear adjustment perch.

by the way " I have a similar experience with bimmerworld just as you do, not too impressed"

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #13
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Bumping old thread to get experience feedback from those running these, have you experienced any downsides?

Thinking of picking these up because I dont like how my springs sit, particularly the right side which doesnt sit as vertically as the left. This lack of symetery between the two sides I would think causes the springs to behave differently between the two sides. I'm hoping these would help the springs maintain proper alignment for proper loading.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #14
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evora S, E36

They work fine. They make a little noise once they break in, just a light noise/rattle over small bumps. I had to cut them down, which is expected for running 8" springs with reasonably high rates. Adjusting them is extremely easy, by far the biggest advantage of this adjuster.
M43S7RO501.00
//steve\\1074.00
      07-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #15
M43S7RO
Major
Rep

Thank you, I went ahead and ordered a pair, just have to get around to installing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
They work fine. They make a little noise once they break in, just a light noise/rattle over small bumps. I had to cut them down, which is expected for running 8" springs with reasonably high rates. Adjusting them is extremely easy, by far the biggest advantage of this adjuster.
      07-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #16
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
What rear rate are you running that you had issues with adjustment causing you to cut them down?

I have them on my car and can also say ease of adjustment is amazing. With 800lb rear springs I have no issues getting mine down to basically no tire/fender gap. That said, I could foresee moving to 850 or 900lb springs in the future.
      07-13-2020, 02:20 PM   #17
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I missed this thread, but I cut my thread rod for 9" springs in the rear too. the GC adjusters had instructors to cut if necessary on a piece of paper.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:59 PM   #18
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evora S, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
What rear rate are you running that you had issues with adjustment causing you to cut them down?

I have them on my car and can also say ease of adjustment is amazing. With 800lb rear springs I have no issues getting mine down to basically no tire/fender gap. That said, I could foresee moving to 850 or 900lb springs in the future.
Initially, 8" 1000lb. Went to 8" 1100s later but still had plenty of room. Currently on 7" 1200s and the extension is right at the limit, I may put a tender spring in to take up some space so I can run the adjuster back up into the housing a bit more just for peace of mind.
      07-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #19
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

I have them on with 7" rear springs
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:37 AM   #20
M43S7RO
Major
Rep

I will be using a 1000 lb spring, sounds like you had to cut for the 8" but 7" just fits after cutting them?

I'd rather get a spring length that doesnt require I cut the rod.

Quote:
Initially, 8" 1000lb. Went to 8" 1100s later but still had plenty of room. Currently on 7" 1200s and the extension is right at the limit, I may put a tender spring in to take up some space so I can run the adjuster back up into the housing a bit more just for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #21
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
I will be using a 1000 lb spring, sounds like you had to cut for the 8" but 7" just fits after cutting them?

I'd rather get a spring length that doesnt require I cut the rod.

Quote:
I run them on an M4. 8" 1300 pound spring. To run them without cutting them you're going to need a super short spring or you're going to have to run at monster truck height. I ended up adding a helper because the spring was loose under full droop but now the stack height is too tall and I can't get the rear ride height where I want it so I'm going to go to a 7" spring and it should be spot on.

As far as the weight jack itself is concerned its a really clever system. Height adjustment is super easy and cutting the rod was simple. I used a hand saw and vice and filed it smooth. Took maybe 30 minutes to get done. I can't think of a single way they can be improved, it's a great product.
Appreciate 1
M43S7RO501.00
      10-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #22
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
I missed this thread, but I cut my thread rod for 9" springs in the rear too. the GC adjusters had instructors to cut if necessary on a piece of paper.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyippee View Post
I have them on with 7" rear springs

Bump...

For an 8" spring - does rod need to be cut? how much?

Are you all running helpers in rear?

If not, what sits between bottom rear spring and camber arm?
Appreciate 0