BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - New England
 
Lease SwApp
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #23
Silverstoneorspacegray
Private First Class
Silverstoneorspacegray's Avatar
87
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 09 Space Grey e92
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Question

I went to get my winter tires put on yesterday and gave it 1/3 throttle on a slightly damp, elevated on-ramp with my PSS in euro MDM mode and ended up with a 30 degree angle and a screaming girlfriend.

These PSS are like rocks in the cold. Phew

Last edited by Silverstoneorspacegray; 01-08-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #24
EJT86
Brigadier General
EJT86's Avatar
1535
Rep
3,006
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post
EJT86, are those winter tires?
yes pirelli sottozero great tires when its wet or dry just ok in a couple inches of snow
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #25
byroncheung
First Lieutenant
United_States
49
Rep
327
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 m3 zcp space grey
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntTwon View Post
Morning drive to work.
Never parking near the trees again. Close call...
with that much snow accumulated when you parked there... when you get out would you just plow through the snow with the bumper, or would shovel away some snow before trying to get the car out?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #26
pbonsalb
Major General
1393
Rep
5,428
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

I would try to drive out of soft snow but not snow plow discharge.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #27
Jmags41
Private
26
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2012 E93
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Portsmouth, NH

iTrader: (0)

I had to have woken up half of Portsmouth the other morning getting up a few hills.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #28
ERinEC
Second Lieutenant
29
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: '11 AW E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Always
Appreciate 3
Theodore295.00
Jmags4126.00
Mr. BMW131.50

      02-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #29
AntTwon
Second Lieutenant
AntTwon's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SGM
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (9)

Still happily driving through the New England winters 2 years later.

Taken following some early morning drifting in the park.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
Mr. BMW131.50

      02-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #30
AntTwon
Second Lieutenant
AntTwon's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SGM
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntTwon View Post
Morning drive to work.
Never parking near the trees again. Close call...
with that much snow accumulated when you parked there... when you get out would you just plow through the snow with the bumper, or would shovel away some snow before trying to get the car out?
I have a small collapsible shovel I keep in the trunk. I shoveled most away to try to keep from plowing it with the lip spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #31
EJT86
Brigadier General
EJT86's Avatar
1535
Rep
3,006
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntTwon View Post
I have a small collapsible shovel I keep in the trunk. I shoveled most away to try to keep from plowing it with the lip spoiler
id also recommend keeping an a trench shovel in there too. i keep a collapsible shovel and an SOG trench shovel in case im suck on icy snow or need to reach a lil further inward
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #32
AntTwon
Second Lieutenant
AntTwon's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SGM
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntTwon View Post
I have a small collapsible shovel I keep in the trunk. I shoveled most away to try to keep from plowing it with the lip spoiler
id also recommend keeping an a trench shovel in there too. i keep a collapsible shovel and an SOG trench shovel in case im suck on icy snow or need to reach a lil further inward
Good advice. May have to look into it. Haven't had the need for one yet, but you never know.

By the way, I noticed your setup with the Pirelli snows. I have a Stoptech BBK and my snows are on 18s. I have been swapping my calipers and rotors back to OEM every time I change wheels for the winter. Needless to say it's getting old. I may look for a second set of 19s and buy a set of snow tires. I looked a bit at the beginning of the season but options seem to be limited and they're super expensive. You would recommend the Pirellis if I can find them? Also, how has the finish and hardware on your calipers been holding up with salt and chemicals on the roads? Just had mine repainted a year or two ago. I would hate to see my clear coat get cloudy again.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #33
EJT86
Brigadier General
EJT86's Avatar
1535
Rep
3,006
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntTwon View Post
Good advice. May have to look into it. Haven't had the need for one yet, but you never know.

By the way, I noticed your setup with the Pirelli snows. I have a Stoptech BBK and my snows are on 18s. I have been swapping my calipers and rotors back to OEM every time I change wheels for the winter. Needless to say it's getting old. I may look for a second set of 19s and buy a set of snow tires. I looked a bit at the beginning of the season but options seem to be limited and they're super expensive. You would recommend the Pirellis if I can find them? Also, how has the finish and hardware on your calipers been holding up with salt and chemicals on the roads? Just had mine repainted a year or two ago. I would hate to see my clear coat get cloudy again.
Yea luckily I haven’t needed to use the trench shovel yet (fingers crossed). As far as tires I had Blizzaks before the pirellis and it depends on how you plan to drive your car. If you plan to drive it no matter what then Blizzaks are way better if there’s like 4inches on the roadway but they’re not all that on dry road. If you have a second car or can stay home from work in bad snow storms then pirellis are a good choice. They’re great on dry road and not as good but ok when there’s a few inches on the road. I drive my car no matter what and I get by pretty well. That last blizzard we had I did get stuck a few times driving home but that doesn’t happen all the time also had the Pirellis when we got like 90” of snow that winter. The Pirellis are better in snow than they look tread wise. So basically if you still want to have some fun on dry days and your area is good with snow removal then Pirellis are a good choice. If you strictly want piece of mind and minimal chance of getting stuck then Blizzaks or Hakkapalitas (not sure about spelling) are for you. As for the calipers the paint is holding up great iND did a great job and I’m not even very meticulous about the salt until spring. The part that does suck are the rotors the salt makes them rust easily especially if you let the car sit a few days or a week, I’ve had some rust build up a lil inside the drilled holes. It does sound like a pain swapping back and forth but at least your BBK will last a bit longer that way
Appreciate 1
AntTwon23.00

      02-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #34
Mr. BMW
Major
Mr. BMW's Avatar
132
Rep
1,246
Posts

Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntTwon View Post
Still happily driving through the New England winters 2 years later.

Taken following some early morning drifting in the park.

Nice pic!
__________________
12 M3 Interlagos Blue/Black
18 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Yeah, it's got a HEMI)
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
01 330ci Orient Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:06 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST