BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

07-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
Benfro89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Help With Activating ABS Pump for Bleeding

Hi guys!

I just bought my dream E92 M3 and and extremly happy with it. It got an oil change and inspection by the BMW dealership before I drove it home and all it needs now is a brake fluid flush.

What do you guys suggest in terms of a coding tool to use to activate the ABS to get rid of the old fluid in the reservoir?

I found this one on ECS and it looks nice and seems like a good price but I'm not sure it will do all that I would like it to do.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...599sch01a~scf/

Would it be better to buy a OBD II cable and sue a program with my laptop or buy a stand alone tool? I plan on doing light coding and maintenance.

Thank you for the help guys, really enjoying this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
Benfro89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
ISTA or INPA.

Doubt that code reader will do anything other than read and erase errors codes.
Those are both used through windows and a OBD cable right? I havent heard of ISTA but I have heard a bit about INPA.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

I have the Schwabeen code read and it does more than read and erase codes. It does allow you to activate the ABS pump during the bleed procedure. It also displays live data and have used in on my Audi and my Mom's Mercedes. It has proven to be an invaluable little tool and highly recommend it. It does have it's limitations and you will need to play with it to learn how to use it. A nice feature is that you can buy additional manufacturers software for $60 a piece.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 05:18 PM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Looks like it does, I didn't see that listed as a feature on the ECS website.

Unless there are other models of that tool.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
Benfro89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
I have the Schwabeen code read and it does more than read and erase codes. It does allow you to activate the ABS pump during the bleed procedure. It also displays live data and have used in on my Audi and my Mom's Mercedes. It has proven to be an invaluable little tool and highly recommend it. It does have it's limitations and you will need to play with it to learn how to use it. A nice feature is that you can buy additional manufacturers software for $60 a piece.
That sounds like it might be just what I need! Does it allow you to code at all? For example mage the mirrors fold in when the car is locked or turn off idrive warning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Looks like it does, I didn't see that listed as a feature on the ECS website.

Unless there are other models of that tool.
Thank you for the help I might end up going inpa route but from what I have watched/read it looks a bit complex. I just want to do maintenance and possibly light coding.

Thank you guys for the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #6
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't think it will allow you to code like that. I know you can program a new battery to the system. That little tool has been invaluable to me. Both my son's Audi and my mom's Mercedes has thrown 13 engine codes a piece when they were having issues. I was able to use live data to pinpoint the problems and get all the issues resolved. If you want to have your mirrors programmed I'd get with Alex at Alpine Motorsports. I heard he does it for a reasonable fee and remotely.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #7
Benfro89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it will allow you to code like that. I know you can program a new battery to the system. That little tool has been invaluable to me. Both my son's Audi and my mom's Mercedes has thrown 13 engine codes a piece when they were having issues. I was able to use live data to pinpoint the problems and get all the issues resolved. If you want to have your mirrors programmed I'd get with Alex at Alpine Motorsports. I heard he does it for a reasonable fee and remotely.
Oh okay, I found a very good deal it seems on the FoxWell website 45% off which is great. I just hope this tool does everything I need. So it will activate the bleeding procedure and do other maintenance tasks if I need it to?

Here is the sale I found: https://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesal...de-reader.html

This seems to be the same model (NT301) that is sold on ECS

I've also been looking at these kits. I have read other posts about them and it seems they might do more than just a stand alone coding tool. I would probably buy the one car enthusiast kit and spend a similar amount of money compared to the tool.

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx

All of this is a bit confusing I'm okay with spending a fair amount of money as long as I can do everything I have in mind.

Last edited by Benfro89; 07-07-2020 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #8
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes, it should activate the ABS module during the bleed procedure when activated. You'll have to play with it but you'll figure it out quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #9
Benfro89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it should activate the ABS module during the bleed procedure when activated. You'll have to play with it but you'll figure it out quickly.
Do you know anything about the Bavarian Tech tool? It looks interesting to me just not sure it will code?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 04:33 PM   #10
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Just to throw out another option, I use Protool by Bimmergeeks. It can do just about anything you could need to do as far as coding and diagnostics. It is app based and runs on any android device. It can be used either via cable or bluetooth module. I have used it for a lot of coding tasks for upgrades and retrofits on my car and friends cars. Their support is very good, especially via Facebook. As to ABS pump activation, I have never tried, so can't say if it will or will not. Definately an option you might want to look into.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/protool

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #11
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfro89 View Post
Quote:
Do you know anything about the Bavarian Tech tool? It looks interesting to me just not sure it will code?
I've never used that tool so I can't say. I'd look for similar features as the Foxwell device and see how it compares.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #12
Benfro89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
Just to throw out another option, I use Protool by Bimmergeeks. It can do just about anything you could need to do as far as coding and diagnostics. It is app based and runs on any android device. It can be used either via cable or bluetooth module. I have used it for a lot of coding tasks for upgrades and retrofits on my car and friends cars. Their support is very good, especially via Facebook. As to ABS pump activation, I have never tried, so can't say if it will or will not. Definately an option you might want to look into.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/protool

Quote:
I've never used that tool so I can't say. I'd look for similar features as the Foxwell device and see how it compares.

Okay guys I haven't had a lot of time to get back but I'm between:

Carly

Foxwell 510 on sale for $129

INPA

Has anyone had experience with INPA? If it isn't too difficult to use I might just got that route because it seems like the most comprehensive option. Sorry to continue asking so many questions I just cant find a whole lot of information on one vs the other.

I really like the idea of the Foxwell stand alone tool but I don't believe it will do any coding.

Carly looks easy to use but how do I know if it will activate the bleeding procedure?

Again thank you guys for the help, I just don't want to buy something and not be able to do what I need.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2020, 03:59 AM   #13
MikeHawk7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3: E92, ZCP, DCT

Garage List
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW i3 REx  [0.00]
Foxwell NT530 (latest version of NT510 and NT520) does do ABS bleeding along with other unlisted things like DCT adaptation resets and other module testing. Highly recommended, I picked one up a few weeks ago. It has very few coding options and is better for diagnostics. If you want a stronger emphasis on coding, you'll want something like BimmerCode, Carly (especially if you were grandfathered in while the lifetime license was a thing), or the BimmerGeeks Protool. I have a Protool on the way and I'm sure it'll also be another good tool to have.

I'm pretty sure Carly doesn't do ABS bleeding, I've never encountered that option.

I'm unsure on the capabilities of BimmerLink (diagnostics focused version of BimmerCode).
2016 i3 REx
[Tera World, Capparis White]

Last edited by MikeHawk7; 08-30-2020 at 04:06 AM..
Appreciate 0