BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
Hondaman23
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 White/Bamboo

Limp Home on Code 2B27

Hello all,
I have just had my first real issue with my 09 E90 M3 DCT, when I was using it for some run-around stuff in town. I started it 6 or so times doing my rounds and then on the last start to head home it went ape poopy! Limp Home mode, DBC & DSC malfunction! Fine, but then I shut it off and tried to restart and that's when things went really awry. It then would barely move. Got the BT scan tool hooked up and it had codes a mile long. I then reset it and all was well again. Few days later the limp home mode came back and I scanned it before I shut it off and I got a 2B27 along with the normal 2B57 and 5E19 for shutting things down.

So, I have not seen much about the 2B27 code - Throttle Flap Test Reset Spring. Sounds like I will need to go back in and check on the Delrin-Brass gear set I put into the throttle actuators and then check the boards for cracking on the Mosfets. Is there anyone else that has seen this code alone without the dreaded 2B26/2B29?

Thanks for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
Hondaman23
Rep

so many responses... Guess I should not have called myself Hondaman....

OK, update to this mess. The car only would fall apart after being hot, so I decided to swap places on the TA banks. I also pulled them apart during the swap, regreased the shafts and checked them for lash. They had more than I wanted to see, but I put them back in the valley and tried it out again. Codes now moved to bank 2, so the failure is following the bank. So it was time for a replacement. The US rebuilder was backed up so I ordered from the guy in the UK (rebuild.org.uk). Got the parts EXTREMELY fast! I put them in this morning and went for a drive. After a 10 min steep in the heat, the beautiful monster now throws no codes! I think it even drove better than the last 2k miles I have owned it.

So, I guess the moral of this story is, DON'T INSTALL BRASS/DELRIN gears. If you do put gears in, get the ones from rebuild.org.uk. But best of all, purchase the rebuilt units or the new units with the lifetime guarantee once your start to show some weird signs.

Also - for the US people - The shipping back to the UK with Fed-Ex and UPS is over $200!! Might want to consider the guy here in the states if you are trying to cut $$ down, but can wait the extra time for him to rebuild your own units. Shocked me that it was that expensive, and I ship to Germany a bunch...

Now - To see how long this set of TAs last!

Last edited by Hondaman23; 07-14-2018 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #3
Abdul
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E39 M5/E92 M3/E60 M5/F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaman23 View Post
OK, update to this mess. The car only would fall apart after being hot, so I decided to swap places on the TA banks. I also pulled them apart during the swap, regreased the shaftsas and checked them for lash. They had more than I wanted to see, but I put them back in the valley and tried it out again. Codes now moved to bank 2, so the failure is following the bank. So it was time for a replacement. The US rebuilder was backed up so I ordered from the guy in the UK (rebuild.org.uk). Got the parts EXTREMELY fast! I put them in this morning and went for a drive. After a 10 min steep in the heat, the beautiful monster now throws no codes! I think it even drove better than the last 2k miles I have owned it.

So, I guess the moral of this story is, DON'T INSTALL BRASS/DELRIN gears. If you do put gears in, get the ones from rebuild.org.uk. But best of all, purchase the rebuilt units or the new units with the lifetime guarantee once your start to show some weird signs.

Also - for the US people - The shipping back to the UK with Fed-Ex and UPS is over $200!! Might want to consider the guy here in the states if you are trying to cut $$ down, but can wait the extra time for him to rebuild your own units. Shocked me that it was that expensive, and I ship to Germany a bunch...

Now - To see how long this set of TAs last!
I'm sorry I didn't have anything in stock when you were looking. Hopefully in the next few weeks, I'll manage to always maintain a stock.

Glad everything worked out for you. The shipping cost back to UK is a killer!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #4
Hondaman23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul@mpowermotorsports View Post
I'm sorry I didn't have anything in stock when you were looking. Hopefully in the next few weeks, I'll manage to always maintain a stock.

Glad everything worked out for you. The shipping cost back to UK is a killer!
Now I wish I had waited for you to build my own units. Mine were pristine and fairly low miles, but I guess that does not matter since they are never seen, only used. Hell, knowing my memory, I will order them from you next time, not remembering I have a lifetime warranty with the Jason in the UK... We live and learn, but sometimes don't remember!
Appreciate 1
Abdul1036.50