BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
DiXiS 18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Beware of VAC Motorsports

I just had a long headache of an issue with VAC motorsports I wanted to relay to everyone. If they have such a difficult job completing a simple order, I’m not sure how anyone can trust them with something serious like building a motor. This is what happened with me. I got Recaro seats and needed mounting hardware for them and decided to go with all VAC parts since I hear they are the best.

8/15/12
I placed an order with VAC Motorsports. I purchased their seat belt adapters and side mounts for Recaro’s. These were placed after speaking on the phone with 2 different representatives and confirmed that these parts are necessary and what would fit my seats.

9/11/12
I attempt installing seats in my car. I begin working on driver’s side seat and when I attempt to mount the side mounts to my seats there isn’t enough of a gap for a bolt to be put under to fit to the floor mounts. I initially contact VAC and explain the problem. They look it over with their engineer and say that maybe I’m putting the side mounts on backwards. I try flipping them around (they are now the opposite of what the install instructions I am provided with say) and they still don’t work. They agree that their side mounts are the issue and I request these to be replaced with Recaro side mounts. My car remains apart as I figure the replacement mounts will be here shortly and I don’t want to go through the labor and spend the time to put my car back together when I’ll just have to pull it apart again in a couple days.

9/12/12
Am told by VAC rep that they will place a order for them to be drop shipped to me.

9/13/12
I find out that there is only 1 side of Recaro side mounts in stock through phone call and I should be receiving it tomorrow. I figure I’ll just get the one side for now as my car is apart and waiting for these parts to put it back together. Later that day I sent a email to VAC asking which ones they ordered. Steel/Aluminum and to confirm a pic of what they ordered.

9/14/12
I get a reply saying he BELIEVES they are the aluminum Recaro universals.

9/15/12-9/23/12
I call and email every 1-2 days requesting tracking information. I either get no reply’s, take messages and never here back, or a let me check and call you right back and nothing ever happens.

9/24/12
I finally get the VAC representative on the phone and he says that he forgot to order me the side mounts. Not sure how that is possible as he had already told me that he has done it and I kept bugging him about it. He said he would order them right then and I would be getting them in a few days.

Then towards the end of the day I get a email saying that they cannot order me my replacement side mounts until I have a tracking number for them for the return of the old mounts. I respond with an email saying how ridiculous it is that they couldn’t have told me this 2 weeks ago when we initially had the issue. I have already waited a long time with no resolve. I leave my class and rush home to make it to the UPS store and send the brackets out. Send him the tracking info.

9/25/12
Get a response saying that he is sorry and they are short staffed recently.

9/28/12
VAC receives the side mounts I shipped back to them. I still do not have a tracking number.

9/29/12
I inform VAC that I have shipped their side mounts back to them across the country before they can even provide me with a tracking number for my replacements. I also ship back the seat belt adapters and provide them the tracking number for that item. I request a refund for both items. Order side mounts through another distributor.

10/1/12
I get a response from VAC rep in shock that I have not received the mounts yet. Well, why would I have if he never placed the order? Agrees to send me a refund for my order.

10/9/12
I still have not received a refund from VAC. I open a credit card dispute.

11/6/12
Was expecting credit card company to contact me and get my side of the story and emails that I have from VAC. They close the case stating that VAC has a tracking number for the replacement side mounts for me (still doesn’t explain the seat belt adapters either). I am still waiting on that tracking number or any info. They also stated that I have damaged their side mounts in the process of attempting to install them as they have scratches on them and are now unsellable. So for those of you who decide to use the VAC mounts, do not torque your bolts down as that is apparently not the way they are supposed to be installed. I have reopened my credit card dispute and will be submitting all paperwork so they can see who clearly is at fault and the liar in this case.

After close to a month of not receiving mounts, now I am close to a month without a refund either. Take it for what it’s worth but I will not be ordering from VAC anymore. I don’t mean to bash them because they make some good products like their floor mounts, but this was just ridiculous and I needed to share. There are plenty of better vendors who have gone above and beyond in helping me and they deserve my business.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Edmbimmer88
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3

Wow.

Thanks for the info, I'm sure they'll post up their side but I'm never going to by from them. You'd figure something simple as seat mounts they'd be able to get right.

Good luck OP.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Amazing - I can't believe they ship the wrong mounts, you send pics and discuss the mounts with their "engineer" on the phone, they suggest to you to flip the mounts around and try installing the seat on "flipped" mounts, and then they are surprised there are scratches on the "incorrect" mounts? Correct mounts = correct install

Good luck OP!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 VF Supercharged, 135i

Hi DiXiS 18,

Note: The sales rep that you dealt with is no longer at VAC. I did not review his email correspondence; I just believed that we were responsible for a miscommunication of sorts so I took appropriate action.

Note 2: Your lengthy post implies that you never received a set of Recaro side mounts. UPS tells me that they were delivered to your home. You also do not mention that you received these for free.

Your situation was brought to my attention on 9/24/12. I was not 100% aware of what was going on between you and my rep, but as soon as it was brought to my attn I acted immediately. I apologized on behalf of my rep before and I will again - sorry that there was some sort of miscommunication between my rep and you – that is 100% our fault.

I did break VAC policy and order different mounts altogether from Recaro that exact day as promised. You bought VAC units for $119, I sent you Recaro units at no charge that we sell for $189.

Since there was a communication delay/error/etc on our end, I took your word and ordered new parts on your behalf even though (at that time) I never received a pic of your issues OR the actual parts in question.

Here is the summary as I saw/see it.
1. You placed 2 orders with VAC. One for VAC floor mount adaptors, one for VAC side mounts and VAC factory seat belt mount kits. Both were delivered to you.
2. You went to install and found that the side mounts did not work with your seats.
3. There was a miscommunication between you and a VAC sales rep that was probably our fault, so once I found out I:
a. ordered Recaro side mounts to be drop shipped to you. I did not charge for these, I ordered in good faith even though these cost much more ($70!) than the VAC units and there was a risk that you would simply not sent the VAC units back, or they could come in damaged or incomplete.
b. opened a memo to be ready for your return
c. asked that you return the side mounts ASAP

4. Recaro notified us that the items were delivered, so we updated the system to show you received the goods
5. Your side mounts arrived at VAC and one was scratched up and unsellable. You also returned incomplete seat belt kits (brackets and hardware were not there)
7. My sales guy contacted you to discuss the incomplete return and never heard back.

Confidential info is blurred for obvious reasons.

Your customer file which shows order dates.

The order in question:

My action on 9/24.

Order for Recaro side mounts placed:

They took 2 days to process it:

Credit memo created to keep track of this situation and allow my shipping guy Mark (MES) to update when the original VAC side mounts are received. Unknown to us, you also returned partial belt kits. Notes were made by Mark when he checked them in. (he says 'set' but means 'side')

Do you still have the brackets and hardware from the seat belt kits? What is a good time for me to call you tomorrow? Let's get this resolved.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Ok folks, that's a PERFECT example of how a vendor should reply and make the case that nothing malicious is going on here. They admitted a mistake (you can't control every crazy customer rep), and showed undeniable proof that immediate action was taken to rectify the situation.

Bravo

Never bought anything from VAC, but this proves to me they are serious about all customers and not just motor rebuilds etc.

OP - you should be set now, looks like miscomms on both ends in a way.
      12-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
NuclearSymphony
Chasing The Horizon
Rep
Drives: Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
Ok folks, that's a PERFECT example of how a vendor should reply and make the case that nothing malicious is going on here. They admitted a mistake (you can't control every crazy customer rep), and showed undeniable proof that immediate action was taken to rectify the situation.

Bravo

Never bought anything from VAC, but this proves to me they are serious about all customers and not just motor rebuilds etc.

OP - you should be set now, looks like miscomms on both ends in a way.
I concur.

I don't know the first thing about VAC, or indeed half the vendors here, but one thing I do notice is how problems are resolved. Way too many such threads are stretched out over multiple pages with very little response from the "defendant" vendor, not to mention actually openly accusing the customer.

All too often, such responses are completely defensive in nature, which seldom solves anything and only infuriates the already-upset client, plus additional forum members who are watching and/or may also be former customers. Not to mention, several instances of these antagonistic response posts will end with an outrageous reference to buy more from them, or some sort of sales "call to action", which should NEVER be included in a complaint thread.

This reply from Mike@VAC is one of the best I've seen. There is no stuttering or making of excuses, just clear, concise information from his end without any accusations towards the buyer . . . concluding with an offer to put in a call and get a resolution in a mutually agreeable manner. Even the offer to call is commendable, many vendors will insist you call them for a resolution.

Sorry for the long post, but I've said nothing for too long.
      10-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
blkr32
Registered
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 1974 BMW 2002

VAC motorsports

Same issue as above, placed an order for VAC high-performance distributor for an M10 engine.
VAC does not reply to my emails, when I call the sales department I get passed on to someone that says they placed an order for the components and it should be ready to go in a week. Its been 5 weeks no reply or an update from VAC. I lost a customer because I was unable to meet the turn around time for the project. If they gave me an estimate or time-frame or any updates maybe it would have worked out.
E-commerce is not VAC's strong point.
A great moms/pops local perhaps.

Source your parts elsewhere if you want a strong customer service/support.
Appreciate 0