BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

09-29-2020, 09:01 PM   #89
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

I have the somewhat unique opportunity to occasionally switch back and forth between my wife's 128i Sport Auto, and my 128i M-sport 6MT. They are VERY different cars. I can't think of any reason I would want the auto over the manual for myself.

To be fair, my wife has driven a BMW stick-shift since about 1979 until recently due to an arthritic left knee.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh8062.50

10-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #90
GenXer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
When I had manual transmission, I usually end up stuck in traffic or getting stuck on I-95 in DC for some reason. So, NO I don't miss it. I do enjoy shifting a manual transmission while driving an open top vehicle on country roads. But in general, the 8 speed auto in my F32 does a lot better job shifting than I could.
Appreciate 1
br2wdc93.50

10-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #91
Biginboca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

I do not miss it because I’ll never be without one. My family has been instructed to bury me with my shift knob

10-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #92
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I do not miss it because I’ll never be without one. My family has been instructed to bury me with my shift knob
I have the shift knob from one of my Pintos on my car lift (for the locks mechanism)
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Biginboca1949.50

10-03-2020, 05:04 PM   #93
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Driving in traffic with manuals was never an issue with me, but it makes sense now in your case. You bought MT for economic reasons and not because you preferred it for better road connection, driver feel/experience, more fun, etc. In your case, since cost is no longer a factor, then it's understandable you'd switch to automatics.

But for others like me who enjoy the driving engagement of manuals (and not concerned with being slower than automatics ~0.5s in 0-60), even in traffic, over the numbing feel of automatics, we will keep buying manuals until there's no other choice.
No, no, your conclusion is wrong.

Yes, MT was the norm in the UK (and still is to a degree), but AT wasn't good in those days, particularly coupled to smaller output engines.

I chose to drive MT in my own vehicles. I did drive AT (was in the trade for a period) and chose MT primarily due to the driving experience.

I come from the time of driving 'crash box' MT, so no issues with driving skills in a decent MT.

The whole sales balance has changed with improved AT and particularly in larger output engines, even in the UK. Users will pay more for AT.

UK having many diesel models didn't help, 3.0d, (even the latest generation 2.0d) work best with an AT, it's as simple as that.

To the point, sales of MT in many models fell off a cliff. Therefore the option for MT has been dropped in many decent engine models.

Even the F10 M5 didn't come as MT in the UK, demand so low in the higher end models.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #94
joshmkb24
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

I'm glad I have a choice of cars. For pleasure driving its great. Especially when you get something with really short gears so there is a lot of shifting involved. For the day to day life, which is 80% of the driving I do, I definitely like having an auto. I don't know if at this point if I had to only have 1 or 2 cars if I could do manuals in them. I like having the option, but as I get older I prefer it strictly for pleasure and the rest of the time I'll take an auto!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 02:54 AM   #95
th868
Banned
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, f30

Yes and no, sometimes shifting can be tiring
Appreciate 1
GNR670.00

10-05-2020, 04:44 AM   #96
Admiral
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 2.0D X Line G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by th868 View Post
Yes and no, sometimes shifting can be tiring
In heavy traffic, I agree but it is fun driving a manual on twisty country roads
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 05:26 AM   #97
th868
Banned
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
In heavy traffic, I agree but it is fun driving a manual on twisty country roads
“Sometimes”
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 05:50 AM   #98
markmason
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

manual is fun.. driving an automatic is so easy, sometimes you get sleepy when you have nothing to do

Last edited by markmason; 10-05-2020 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 04:19 AM   #99
VetteGuy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

I drive my 67 Vette regularly, and while the freshly rebuilt Muncie 4-speed has its moments of joy and nostalgia, a good auto would be faster, smoother, and frankly a better all around ride. That’s why more and more vintage rides are being converted to restomods and commanding exponentially more money than many original or restored classic cars.

For a modern daily driver... the MT is a dinosaur and soon to be just as extinct.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 05:41 AM   #100
Biginboca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
I drive my 67 Vette regularly, and while the freshly rebuilt Muncie 4-speed has its moments of joy and nostalgia, a good auto would be faster, smoother, and frankly a better all around ride. That’s why more and more vintage rides are being converted to restomods and commanding exponentially more money than many original or restored classic cars.

For a modern daily driver... the MT is a dinosaur and soon to be just as extinct.
Sounds to me like you should trade up to a C8 since you want something “faster, smoother, and a frankly all around better ride”. Those moments of nostalgia and joy you mentioned in your 67 would be the sole reason to own and drive a 53 year old car regularly.

The reason people do restomods for plenty of reasons, not just because they hate their 4 speeds lol. They want better performance... drum brakes suck, new fuel injected engines make better power, modern suspension handles and rides better, new parts are more reliable, etc. It’s pretty clear restomods are not just born because people want to make the car an automatic. Maybe you noticed there’s plenty of resto mods with modern 6 speeds.

If your baseline is a 53 year old manual then of course it’s not great. The only way to make it fair you should be comparing that to a 53 year old 3 speed automatic. I don’t see anyone loving those! Maybe we should compare a modern flat screen to an old black and white TV too lol

I drove a cayman GT4 last year and it was amazing as a manual. Of course it wasn’t 53 year old iron.

Last edited by Biginboca; 10-09-2020 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 2
stein_325i7678.50
kaputt670.00

10-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #101
VetteGuy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sounds to me like you should trade up to a C8 since you want something “faster, smoother, and a frankly all around better ride”. Those moments of nostalgia and joy you mentioned in your 67 would be the sole reason to own and drive a 53 year old car regularly.

The reason people do restomods for plenty of reasons, not just because they hate their 4 speeds lol. They want better performance... drum brakes suck, new fuel injected engines make better power, modern suspension handles and rides better, new parts are more reliable, etc. It’s pretty clear restomods are not just born because people want to make the car an automatic. Maybe you noticed there’s plenty of resto mods with modern 6 speeds.

If your baseline is a 53 year old manual then of course it’s not great. The only way to make it fair you should be comparing that to a 53 year old 3 speed automatic. I don’t see anyone loving those! Maybe we should compare a modern flat screen to an old black and white TV too lol

I drove a cayman GT4 last year and it was amazing as a manual. Of course it wasn’t 53 year old iron.
I guess I wasn’t clear with my point. Not making a real comparison, just an observation. I love my 53 year 3 month and 4 day old car, even more than my modern ones. And, I like the nostalgia, as do thousands of other vintage car enthusiasts, especially those who actually and seriously race vintage cars of all types.

That said, if you buy a car only because you enjoy the MT, That’s cool, but you may miss other aspects of the hobby or the adventure. Sure, shifting can be fun, sometimes not as much so. Performance wise, many of the autos and DCTs we have today are Faster and far superior to the MT.

So, enjoy the MT, but they’ll most likely only be available new for a handful of more years, which means the 75 percent of BMW drivers who lease their cars will be adapting to paddle shifting sooner than later, or also buying a somewhat vintage weekend car.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca1949.50

10-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #102
VetteGuy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I guess I wasn’t clear with my point. Not making a real comparison, just an observation. I love my 53 year 3 month and 4 day old car, even more than my modern ones. It has 400 rowdy hp and disc brakes. And, I like the nostalgia, as do thousands of other vintage car enthusiasts, especially those who actually, and seriously, race vintage cars of all types.

That said, if you buy a car only because you enjoy the MT, that’s cool, but you may miss other aspects of the adventure. Sure, shifting can be fun, but sometimes just not as much so. Performance wise, many of the autos and DCTs we have today are faster and far superior to the MT, especially in the wrong hands.

So, enjoy the MT, but they’ll most likely only be available new for a handful of more years, which means the MT lovers among the 75 percent of BMW drivers who lease their cars will be adapting to paddle shifting sooner than later, or also buying a somewhat vintage weekend car.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #103
freakystyly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
So, enjoy the MT, but they’ll most likely only be available new for a handful of more years, which means the MT lovers among the 75 percent of BMW drivers who lease their cars will be adapting to paddle shifting sooner than later, or also buying a somewhat vintage weekend car.
The same could be said for ICE engines... Enjoy them while you can!
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2020, 09:30 PM   #104
DanG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
My M2 is my first DCT M. Before I always had a manual. With the DCT being faster and getting better mileage, I don’t miss my manual. This is especially true in Seattle traffic.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 10:35 PM   #105
Pauloxxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi 2017-330Xi

Yes... I miss my Saab 93... Beautiful car, that GM didn't keep. Gone Saab.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
chenry1302.50
stein_325i7678.50

10-09-2020, 11:48 PM   #106
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 & Many BMWs Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
Yes... I miss my Saab 93... Beautiful car, that GM didn't keep. Gone Saab.
loved that car
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #107
4Hockey4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' 235i MT and 01' 330ci vert

Only reason I bought a BMW was the MT. Now I have many other reasons too, and I think MT will be available for another 10 years+

Teaching my kids, and they are like "why aren't more cars manual, this is awesome"

Good questions kids, I guess some folks grow up

10-11-2020, 11:10 PM   #108
Humdizzle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 ferrari 458

went on vacay to arizona and rented a Z4 (the n54 dct one) and 2013 R8 v10 spyder (the single clutch lambo e-gear).

around town the r8 was a bit of a mess. it lurches alot and the only way to smooth it out is to ease up on the gas during your paddle flicks. on the highway and booking it the r-tronic does ok. The Z4 had a far better trans for everything. But yeah convertibles are aimed towards 'experience' rather than performance. manual would have stepped up the experience quite a bit imo

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2015 Silverstone F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: Ferrari 458 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #109
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
I guess I wasn’t clear with my point. Not making a real comparison, just an observation. I love my 53 year 3 month and 4 day old car, even more than my modern ones. And, I like the nostalgia, as do thousands of other vintage car enthusiasts, especially those who actually and seriously race vintage cars of all types.

That said, if you buy a car only because you enjoy the MT, That’s cool, but you may miss other aspects of the hobby or the adventure. Sure, shifting can be fun, sometimes not as much so. Performance wise, many of the autos and DCTs we have today are Faster and far superior to the MT.

So, enjoy the MT, but they’ll most likely only be available new for a handful of more years, which means the 75 percent of BMW drivers who lease their cars will be adapting to paddle shifting sooner than later, or also buying a somewhat vintage weekend car.
I know I'm repeating myself, but the manual transmission is not for me about the fun of it, but rather vehicle control. I don't care how fast a modern automatic can shift (in auto mode), it doesn't know when to shift when I want it to shift. It is a compromised situation.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 06:14 PM   #110
KevinGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
And if I primarily drove on twisty roads, I may miss it more. But I spend 95% of my time on regular roads, and then I don't miss the manual much at all.

But really, I'm waiting on some car company or tuner to create an actual dual manual/DCT transmission....where you actually have a stick shift sitting in the console along with 3 pedals for manual driving, but then you can slide the stick into "auto" gear mode where the car will do all the shifting for you, through some kind of a DCT transmission. And the clutch pedal/engagement would be locked out and even maybe retract out of the way.

No, maybe you wouldn't be able to do it on "the fly" while the car's moving, or even at a stoplight...maybe you'd need to do something while the engine is off to "switch" the characteristic of the transmission.

Sure, it may cost $15k to $20k, and only available on super cars, but if it works well and car enthusiasts want it, they could find a way to produce it for less for a more mid-level $100k type of a car like an M3 or Porsche 911.

Wouldn't this be neat, a true manual/DCT option within the same car, almost at the "press of a button"? The best of both worlds! Hey, we can dream, right?
Appreciate 0