BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
EXXEL Distributions
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-14-2020, 10:56 PM   #67
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
Dog Face Pony Soldier's Avatar
United_States
8216
Rep
6,346
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Post

'MURICA
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:03 PM   #68
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
Dog Face Pony Soldier's Avatar
United_States
8216
Rep
6,346
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Thumbs up

Just noticed the power window switches and power mirror control are both on the center console. That looks very ergonomic and efficient use of space.

It's also really smart how flexible the configurations are. How cool is it that you can equip a Sasquatch Package to the base model! It will be interesting to build and price one out.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 1
swanson550.50

      07-15-2020, 06:20 AM   #69
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
8050
Rep
15,106
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
I dig it but never buy the first year model of anything.
That adage is about 35 years outdated. With the advent of computers to aid modeling, design, testing, and manufacturing, vehicles have vastly improved in base-year overall quality. In fact, my opinion is it is critical now for any manufacturer to get its vehicles "right" at introduction based on social media hype. In fact, I'd say buying first year is actually better, because quality issues arise once the manufacturer tries to get cost out of the production in to following production years.

My "first year" E90 is an example I can point to. It's now reached past 14 years and 390,000 miles. Based on my following of issues for the E9X series on E90 post, the earlier versions were less problematic.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 06:31 AM   #70
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
8050
Rep
15,106
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Just noticed the power window switches and power mirror control are both on the center console. That looks very ergonomic and efficient use of space.

It's also really smart how flexible the configurations are. How cool is it that you can equip a Sasquatch Package to the base model! It will be interesting to build and price one out.
Probably simplifies door removal to have window switches inboard.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 06:39 AM   #71
335xi Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
335xi Beast's Avatar
United_States
341
Rep
1,636
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Ford is going to make an absolute killing off of this! Might creep up to the iconic selling trend of Jeep Wrangler imo. Definitely a game changer for Ford. Just hope the quality is up to par. JD Power didn't seem to like Fords in general according to the last rankings.
__________________
2016 M235i // Black Sapphire // Black Dakota // Tech // CW // Premium // HK // BM3 stage 1 // BMS intake // H&R // Evolution CP // PS 4's
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh8050.00
Miko M6330.00

      07-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #72
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
4773
Rep
11,156
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
That adage is about 35 years outdated. With the advent of computers to aid modeling, design, testing, and manufacturing, vehicles have vastly improved in base-year overall quality. In fact, my opinion is it is critical now for any manufacturer to get its vehicles "right" at introduction based on social media hype. In fact, I'd say buying first year is actually better, because quality issues arise once the manufacturer tries to get cost out of the production in to following production years.

My "first year" E90 is an example I can point to. It's now reached past 14 years and 390,000 miles. Based on my following of issues for the E9X series on E90 post, the earlier versions were less problematic.
I agree with you on cars built around the E90 but not with cars built today. This is coming from someone that works in the industry. My E92 M3 is also a first year model, and has been the best car I've ever owned. Currently at a measly 93k miles compared to you, but still on original rod bearings.

The reason I disagree with you is because cars nowadays are far more complicated than our cars, specifically the electronics, safety systems and even drivetrains (neither of our cars used turbos or direct injections). Case and point, look at all the issues VW is having with the Golf 8 and ID3 in terms of software. Case and point:
https://www.motor1.com/news/423689/v...-issues-arise/

I will say though, your posts have single handedly made me look at an N52 powered vehicle if I need to add another daily
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #73
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
5186
Rep
1,117
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

'
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
W///4772.50
Miko M6330.00

      07-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #74
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
TSM330i's Avatar
United_States
682
Rep
3,707
Posts

Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester Springs, PA

iTrader: (2)

I think this new Bronco is fantastic! Ford hit it out of the park.
All the details are right. It has the tech that most people are craving, but has enough ruggedness and retro-ness to appeal to its target audience.

To me, Ford built a better Defender. If you changed a couple of details to reflect the old Defender 90 and 110, this could have been very close. The new Defender looks completely pedestrian compared to this.

It'll be interesting to see a comparison between the Wrangler, Bronco and Defender. Competition is always good. TBH, Jeep has been doing it very well for a long time. This competition will only make things better for everyone.

Well done Ford!
__________________
2017 Porsche C2 - manual of course
2015 GTI S
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe - because racecar
Appreciate 6
stein_325i7646.50
Efthreeoh8050.00
bmwv99.00
Murf9935185.50
Miko M6330.00
swanson550.50

      07-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #75
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
8050
Rep
15,106
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

I'd have to go with the Black Diamond package, carbonized gray (saw it on an F150 yesterday), manual transmission, 4-door, no 'squatch (I like the 17" steel wheels), looks like you can't get a front locking diff without the 'squatch package though. I'd get the base but you can't get the manual in 4-doors in the base package. Hate when manufactures just irritate you with the details.

I'd probably get the wheels painted silver though.

I had a 1987 Ranger STX long bed. That was a great off road truck in it's day. Ford Independent Twin I-beam front suspension (they should bring that back - in aluminum...)
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-15-2020 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 10:44 AM   #76
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
629
Rep
2,515
Posts

Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Just noticed the power window switches and power mirror control are both on the center console. That looks very ergonomic and efficient use of space.

It's also really smart how flexible the configurations are. How cool is it that you can equip a Sasquatch Package to the base model! It will be interesting to build and price one out.

Seeing that picture, I love that the transfer case can select between 2H, 4A, 4H, and 4L. I'm envious, and wish my Tacoma had the 4A option.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #77
Mintsopoulos
First Lieutenant
Mintsopoulos's Avatar
United_States
280
Rep
342
Posts

Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Id go with the 4Door Wildtrak w/ the squatch package...it would probably filled my need for a rzr/maverick and still be something I can commute and roadtrip in. Ill looking for a replacement to my truck in the next 3-4 years so well see!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #78
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
7647
Rep
4,227
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
For the Doug lovers out there


I actually think his opinion is spot on, and a Raptor version is definitely inevitable. If there was one thing that I definitely agreed with the most it was definitely his comments on GM. They are totally clueless.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 4
Ngilbe36629.00
5.M0NSTER1699.50
Murf9935185.50
Miko M6330.00

      07-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #79
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
Dog Face Pony Soldier's Avatar
United_States
8216
Rep
6,346
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
For the Doug lovers out there


I actually think his opinion is spot on, and a Raptor version is definitely inevitable. If there was one thing that I definitely agreed with the most it was definitely his comments on GM. They are totally clueless.
The Raptor competitor is allegedly going to be called the Warthog.
__________________
Appreciate 3
Murf9935185.50
Miko M6330.00
swanson550.50

      07-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #80
Ngilbe36
Lieutenant
Ngilbe36's Avatar
United_States
629
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 IB
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
The Raptor competitor is allegedly going to be called the Warthog.
That is a freaking awesome name haha!
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #81
Miko M
///M
Miko M's Avatar
United_States
6330
Rep
3,680
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Something to compare
Wrangler has tough competition now
Attached Images
      
__________________
Life is too short...enjoy your life
///M
Appreciate 1
stein_325i7646.50

      07-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #82
Moonbat
Private
Moonbat's Avatar
125
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: N/A
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: N/A

iTrader: (0)

Was thinking of the Bronco instead of a diesel Gladiator for when my 328d wagon gets too old (only 80k miles so far), but then I saw the tow rating. There's lots of us who like boondocking with small campers in the middle of nowhere, and while my wagon does okay, its not the best choice for a lot of BLM / NFS roads that need more clearance. Just weird that the 328d can tow more than the Bronco.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:06 PM   #83
bimmer_335
Major
159
Rep
1,116
Posts

Drives: 540 mSport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the middle of nowhere, TX

iTrader: (1)

simply gorgeous... !!!
Appreciate 1
swanson550.50

      07-15-2020, 03:29 PM   #84
nearwater4me
First Lieutenant
193
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: '20 BMW M2C
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: KY

iTrader: (1)

My only gripe is you canít get 7MT with the 2.7L
Everything else looks superb!
Appreciate 2
stein_325i7646.50
swanson550.50

      07-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #85
nearwater4me
First Lieutenant
193
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: '20 BMW M2C
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: KY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
That adage is about 35 years outdated. With the advent of computers to aid modeling, design, testing, and manufacturing, vehicles have vastly improved in base-year overall quality. In fact, my opinion is it is critical now for any manufacturer to get its vehicles "right" at introduction based on social media hype. In fact, I'd say buying first year is actually better, because quality issues arise once the manufacturer tries to get cost out of the production in to following production years.

My "first year" E90 is an example I can point to. It's now reached past 14 years and 390,000 miles. Based on my following of issues for the E9X series on E90 post, the earlier versions were less problematic.
Still you wouldnít believe the amount of quality issues on the first MY cars.
There are tons of issues that escape pv, ctf, etc. that gets addressed on later revisions.
I work in automotive quality, with first-hand experiences in OEM build lines and final inspections.
Iím not going to convince you otherwise because itís your own money..
But I personally would never buy the first MY, especially a brand new platform.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #86
Miko M
///M
Miko M's Avatar
United_States
6330
Rep
3,680
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
That adage is about 35 years outdated. With the advent of computers to aid modeling, design, testing, and manufacturing, vehicles have vastly improved in base-year overall quality. In fact, my opinion is it is critical now for any manufacturer to get its vehicles "right" at introduction based on social media hype. In fact, I'd say buying first year is actually better, because quality issues arise once the manufacturer tries to get cost out of the production in to following production years.

My "first year" E90 is an example I can point to. It's now reached past 14 years and 390,000 miles. Based on my following of issues for the E9X series on E90 post, the earlier versions were less problematic.
Still you wouldn’t believe the amount of quality issues on the first MY cars.
There are tons of issues that escape pv, ctf, etc. that gets addressed on later revisions.
I work in automotive quality, with first-hand experiences in OEM build lines and final inspections.
I’m not going to convince you otherwise because it’s your own money..
But I personally would never buy the first MY, especially a brand new platform.
True to some degree but the warranty is there.

I owned over 30cars 20 of them BMW and very rare I had problems. And almost all of them I bought right away
__________________
Life is too short...enjoy your life
///M
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #87
Miko M
///M
Miko M's Avatar
United_States
6330
Rep
3,680
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Just noticed the power window switches and power mirror control are both on the center console. That looks very ergonomic and efficient use of space.

It's also really smart how flexible the configurations are. How cool is it that you can equip a Sasquatch Package to the base model! It will be interesting to build and price one out.
Probably simplifies door removal to have window switches inboard.
Yup, and the doors fits in the back
Attached Images
 
__________________
Life is too short...enjoy your life
///M
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #88
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
flybigjet's Avatar
United_States
1949
Rep
904
Posts

Drives: a light twin from Boeing.
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

For the love of God, Ford--

PUT A MT WITH THE BIGGER ENGINE.

Sheesh.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST