BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #45
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
7729
Rep
4,247
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
Never been about extreme performance yet the:

CLK GTR
CLK63 Black Series
CLK DTM AMG
SLR 722
SL65 Black Series
SLS Black Series
C63 Black Series
GT R/GT R Pro
GT R Black Series

all exist with the AMG One still to come.

What has BMW done in the meantime? The only manufacturers that can really compete with that list are Porsche/Ferrari and maybe Lamborghini.
Also the SLK 55 Black Series which the US never got.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 1
See5355.00

      07-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #46
GoneIn4Secs
Major
GoneIn4Secs's Avatar
Canada
715
Rep
1,249
Posts

Drives: '18 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: gta Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Older I get the less i like rear wings. Looks a bit too boy racer for me because everyone knows I won't be pushing it hard enough to make use of the aero. If I was to order a GT3 911 i'd get one without the wing.
They are for aerodynamics, not for looks
Appreciate 1
stein_325i7728.50

      07-23-2020, 01:28 AM   #47
Eternalthinker
Private
Eternalthinker's Avatar
31
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: walnut

iTrader: (0)

Will post photos when I take delivery next year.
__________________
Mixed Bag: McLaren 675LT, 720s Coupe, X7, X2, AMGGTR, 812 Superfast, Tesla ModelX P100D, CLK DTM, Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model S, Aventador
Appreciate 2
stein_325i7728.50
Murf9935268.50

      07-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #48
Bumpinjeep
Captain
Bumpinjeep's Avatar
United_States
643
Rep
707
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Redmond, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Dodge called, they want their partnership back with Diamler.


__________________
2020 M2C HS
Executive, 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 01:58 PM   #49
RPM33
Lieutenant
272
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Wow that wing is huge, not to mention poor rear visibility. The huge wing would also be extremely distracting to other drivers.
Appreciate 1
Hegge468.00

      07-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #50
Eternalthinker
Private
Eternalthinker's Avatar
31
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: walnut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Wow that wing is huge, not to mention poor rear visibility. The huge wing would also be extremely distracting to other drivers.
Yes, it is huge.
__________________
Mixed Bag: McLaren 675LT, 720s Coupe, X7, X2, AMGGTR, 812 Superfast, Tesla ModelX P100D, CLK DTM, Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model S, Aventador
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #51
Leftkeylife
Banned
53
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: Manual
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: The track

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top speed View Post
And yet BMW can't build a quicker track car. M4 GTS or this?
M4 GTS was a bit of a disappointment in terms of track pace. For a car that was so dedicated and had strong power and torque numbers, I would have thought it would have been much faster.

I think this AMG GT Black Series will be fast. My guess is sub 7 mins. I donít think it will be GT2 RS fast though.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #52
Bluer2
Lieutenant
251
Rep
567
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Houston

iTrader: (6)

that is one angry looking catfish
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #53
GoneIn4Secs
Major
GoneIn4Secs's Avatar
Canada
715
Rep
1,249
Posts

Drives: '18 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: gta Canada

iTrader: (0)

Saw a regular gtr driving behind me on the hwy, so wide and low

Cooool
Appreciate 1
Murf9935268.50

      10-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #54
Top speed
Enlisted Member
42
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: AMG gts. McLaren.Porsche
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Laptime on Hockenheim GP from Sport Auto by Christian Gebhardt.

Laptime: 1:43,3


1:43,3 - Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series
1:43,5 Porsche gt2rs MR. (Manthey racing version)

During the launch motoring journalist was 2 seconds a lap faster than the regular gt2rs.

We'll have to wait and see if it's faster around the ring than the record setting avendator SVJ

Last edited by Top speed; 10-13-2020 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
stein_325i7728.50
swanson550.50

      10-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #55
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
5269
Rep
1,122
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

So it is a great looking car in my opinion. I'd prefer it without the wing to be honest though. It has a similar organic look like a 911. It may be a contender for the Porsche at the Ring, what I do like about it is that it will be more rare than the 911 track monsters. I won't say I see them daily but they aren't that uncommon, this beast will be a unique thing to see in the wild and that has some appeal to me.
Appreciate 3
      10-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #56
See5
BMW Fan
See5's Avatar
United_States
355
Rep
673
Posts

Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top speed View Post
Laptime on Hockenheim GP from Sport Auto by Christian Gebhardt.

Laptime: 1:43,3


1:43,3 - Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series
1:43,5 Porsche gt2rs MR. (Manthey racing version)

During the launch motoring journalist was 2 seconds a lap faster than the regular gt2rs.

We'll have to wait and see if it's faster around the ring than the record setting avendator SVJ
Wow, that's extremely fast. Wonder how it does against the 765LT...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 01:09 AM   #57
Top speed
Enlisted Member
42
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: AMG gts. McLaren.Porsche
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
Wow, that's extremely fast. Wonder how it does against the 765LT...
The 765LT is shod with Trofeo R tires, which is not as grippy as the Cup 2r tires on the black series and porsche gt2/ 3 cars.

So in all likelihood it will not be as fast.
Appreciate 1
See5355.00

      10-14-2020, 01:21 AM   #58
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
290
Rep
864
Posts

Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area CA

iTrader: (4)

Good to see cars like these are still being made and MB, not BMW for now, is continuing instead of focusing purely on core models.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #59
Top speed
Enlisted Member
42
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: AMG gts. McLaren.Porsche
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)



Video of the lap
Appreciate 1
stein_325i7728.50

      10-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #60
KevinGS
Captain
686
Rep
876
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So it is a great looking car in my opinion. I'd prefer it without the wing to be honest though. It has a similar organic look like a 911. It may be a contender for the Porsche at the Ring, what I do like about it is that it will be more rare than the 911 track monsters. I won't say I see them daily but they aren't that uncommon, this beast will be a unique thing to see in the wild and that has some appeal to me.
Having spent plenty of time in my friend's AMG GTC, I love the AMG GT. And it looks great, that long hood is stunning to me. And the interior is special.

So, for a track-day only car, sure, the AMG GT R Black Series would be quite a toy, but for ANY kind of street driving mixed in, give me any of the "regular" AMG GTs (even the convertibles look good). I actually like the narrower hips of the AMG GTS, as even the AMG GTC is almost too wide.

And since these cars depreciate like a ton of bricks, it's a great used car buy...just make sure you get the extended warranty.

911s are the benchmark, but unless I can squeeze into a GT3 (which hold their value like gold bouillon), I'd save and buy the AMG GT, tune it to 700+ hp for like $4,000 with downpipes (which is almost too much for this car), and then drive it like you stole it. No way is like a 911 GTS more fun or sexier than a AMG GT, but if you're going to own the car for a long time...then yes, the 911 makes sense....as it's timeless, and durable.
Appreciate 2
Murf9935268.50
stein_325i7728.50

      10-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #61
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
7729
Rep
4,247
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Having spent plenty of time in my friend's AMG GTC, I love the AMG GT. And it looks great, that long hood is stunning to me. And the interior is special.

So, for a track-day only car, sure, the AMG GT R Black Series would be quite a toy, but for ANY kind of street driving mixed in, give me any of the "regular" AMG GTs (even the convertibles look good). I actually like the narrower hips of the AMG GTS, as even the AMG GTC is almost too wide.

And since these cars depreciate like a ton of bricks, it's a great used car buy...just make sure you get the extended warranty.

911s are the benchmark, but unless I can squeeze into a GT3 (which hold their value like gold bouillon), I'd save and buy the AMG GT, tune it to 700+ hp for like $4,000 with downpipes (which is almost too much for this car), and then drive it like you stole it. No way is like a 911 GTS more fun or sexier than a AMG GT, but if you're going to own the car for a long time...then yes, the 911 makes sense....as it's timeless, and durable.
I've also always liked the GT and of course its predecessor, the SLS - who doesn't love the gullwing doors! - and this was before I was really into MB's and started actually buying them. I've driven a GT C Roadster and its just an awesome experience. The long nose is awesome, and provides a unique driving position since the engine is so far back and you can't beat the V8.

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually prefer the Roadster to the Coupe, especially in GT-R form, its just gorgeous.

I'm really curious what the next SL will be like since AMG will be building it and basing it off of the GT.

__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:36 PM   #62
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
5269
Rep
1,122
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Having spent plenty of time in my friend's AMG GTC, I love the AMG GT. And it looks great, that long hood is stunning to me. And the interior is special.

So, for a track-day only car, sure, the AMG GT R Black Series would be quite a toy, but for ANY kind of street driving mixed in, give me any of the "regular" AMG GTs (even the convertibles look good). I actually like the narrower hips of the AMG GTS, as even the AMG GTC is almost too wide.

And since these cars depreciate like a ton of bricks, it's a great used car buy...just make sure you get the extended warranty.

911s are the benchmark, but unless I can squeeze into a GT3 (which hold their value like gold bouillon), I'd save and buy the AMG GT, tune it to 700+ hp for like $4,000 with downpipes (which is almost too much for this car), and then drive it like you stole it. No way is like a 911 GTS more fun or sexier than a AMG GT, but if you're going to own the car for a long time...then yes, the 911 makes sense....as it's timeless, and durable.
I literally drool over these things when ever I'm at the deanship for maintenance on my MB......I'd almost give up my 993 for one.....
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 10:12 PM   #63
KevinGS
Captain
686
Rep
876
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I've also always liked the GT and of course its predecessor, the SLS - who doesn't love the gullwing doors! - and this was before I was really into MB's and started actually buying them. I've driven a GT C Roadster and its just an awesome experience. The long nose is awesome, and provides a unique driving position since the engine is so far back and you can't beat the V8.

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually prefer the Roadster to the Coupe, especially in GT-R form, its just gorgeous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I literally drool over these things when ever I'm at the deanship for maintenance on my MB......I'd almost give up my 993 for one.....
When I was in LA in August, I needed a rental car for a few days. And lo and behold, there was a GT roadster available on Turo. Gotta love Cali. And it was $170/day for 200 miles/day! For me, a steal! Having never driven a GT roadster, and since it's a car I'm seriously considering purchasing on the used car market, I jumped all over it.

And I loved it! And it was just the slow, base model, yet I still had loads of fun, especially in the canyons. I actually kept it an extra day and spent the entire day in the Angeles National Forest. Like the GTC, the GT just holds on for dear life. So much grip. Yes, I missed the extra power on the highway, but not in the twisties. And again, for relatively cheap, the base GT can jump to 600hp and the GTS and GTR can jump to 700hp. PLENTY.

and yes, jstein, I agree, I think the roadster actually looks better than the coupe. I drove ALL 600 of my available Turo miles, returning it having used exactly 600 miles. The owner couldn't believe that I didn't go a single mile over (or under).








Last edited by KevinGS; 10-14-2020 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
stein_325i7728.50
Murf9935268.50

      10-14-2020, 10:15 PM   #64
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
7729
Rep
4,247
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
When I was in LA in August, I needed a rental car for a few days. And lo and behold, there was a GT roadster available on Turo. Gotta love Cali. And it was $170/day for 200 miles/day! For me, a steal! Having never driven a GT roadster, and since it's a car I'm seriously considering purchasing on the used car market, I jumped all over it.

And I loved it! And it was just the slow, base model, yet I still had loads of fun, especially in the canyons. I actually kept it an extra day and spent the entire day in the Angeles National Forest. Like the GTC, the GT just holds on for dear life. So much grip. Yes, I missed the extra power on the highway, but not in the twisties. And again, for relatively cheap, the base GT can jump to 600hp and the GTS and GTR can jump to 700hp. PLENTY.

and yes, jstein, I agree, I think the roadster actually looks better than the coupe. I drove ALL 600 of my available Turo miles, returning it having used exactly 600 miles. The owner couldn't believe that I didn't go a single mile over (or under).
I seriously need to get back to the west coast to enjoy some nice twisty mountain roads, sounds like an awesome time.

Also, I think your photos are broken or something.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 10:35 PM   #65
KevinGS
Captain
686
Rep
876
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I seriously need to get back to the west coast to enjoy some nice twisty mountain roads, sounds like an awesome time.

Also, I think your photos are broken or something.
Indeed, go back! LOL

I can see my pix, I guess you can't. Hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 10:37 PM   #66
IllSic_Design
Colonel
IllSic_Design's Avatar
United_States
1276
Rep
2,140
Posts

Drives: 09 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Indeed, go back! LOL

I can see my pix, I guess you can't. Hmmm...
pics don't work for me either
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST