BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

04-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #45
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post
In his PM he mentioned he had to move the optical cable to the supplied quad-lock harness. A step that I did not have to do at all.

I can see JoyeAuto sending the wrong one. When they messaged me to check which car and model I had. I stated I had 2013 M3 and that I had CIC system. They replied back asking if I'm sure I have CIC, they thought 2013 should have NBT. Technically yeah 2013 3-series Fxx has NBT. But a 2013 3-series Exx has CIC.

They asked me to send pictures of my menu and system and still they questioned me. In the end they said, if you're sure then we'll send you CIC. But if you're wrong, sorry there are no returns. Something to that effect.
Yea, the late model E92/E93 production years confuses the hell out of these aftermarket vendors. It sounds like dkmcclelland has the NBT version even though he has 2011...and they should've sent a CIC version.
This is true.

My software version says CIC, but I have the quadlock harness And had to swap over fiber optics. Shit. So maybe this will solve my issues?!

I will message them again and see if I get a response.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #46
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did dkmcclelland mention a CIC quadlock harness?
In his PM he mentioned he had to move the optical cable to the supplied quad-lock harness. A step that I did not have to do at all.

I can see JoyeAuto sending the wrong one. When they messaged me to check which car and model I had. I stated I had 2013 M3 and that I had CIC system. They replied back asking if I'm sure I have CIC, they thought 2013 should have NBT. Technically yeah 2013 3-series Fxx has NBT. But a 2013 3-series Exx has CIC.

They asked me to send pictures of my menu and system and still they questioned me. In the end they said, if you're sure then we'll send you CIC. But if you're wrong, sorry there are no returns. Something to that effect.
Where did you plug in your power cable? If power doesn't come from the Quad Lock cable, where does it come from?

This all could solve my issues if it's simply the wrong cable!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #47
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcclelland View Post
Where did you plug in your power cable? If power doesn't come from the Quad Lock cable, where does it come from?

I find it hard to believe. But it's taking power from the cable hooked up to the iDrive controller.

I don't think it's as simple as swapping the cable on your current setup. I think you may need to exchange the box too. NBT box and CIC box both look different. If you look at my previous post with the pictures. The cables is plugged into different sides of the box. NBT plugged into the "long side" whereas CIC is plugged into the short side.
      04-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #48
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
I find it hard to believe. But it's taking power from the cable hooked up to the iDrive controller.

I don't think it's as simple as swapping the cable on your current setup. I think you may need to exchange the box too. NBT box and CIC box both look different. If you look at my previous post with the pictures. The cables is plugged into different sides of the box. NBT plugged into the "long side" whereas CIC is plugged into the short side.

I wonder if there is a better solution than the spot you placed it in. I relocated my power outlet to there so it would block that...
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #49
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's not as easy as it sounds. I've had issues with them wanting to replace it. They told me "we don't know what you did to your car but it's not our part that's the issue."

I'm trying to communicate with them now and see if we can get somewhere. I hope that it can be swapped out and be fixed.

This is my box and cables from my installation. It's not in this location anymore, and it's upside down, but that's my box.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #50
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's not as easy as it sounds. I've had issues with them wanting to replace it. They told me "we don't know what you did to your car but it's not our part that's the issue."

I'm trying to communicate with them now and see if we can get somewhere. I hope that it can be swapped out and be fixed.

This is my box and cables from my installation. It's not in this location anymore, and it's upside down, but that's my box.
LoL I still can't tell if your box is different from that picture. But I assume it is.

I tried finding a similar place like you. But to be honest. I didn't feel comfortable shoving it anywhere. The harness didn't seem super robust. I was afraid of shoving the box behind the CIC or panel and pinching cables and what not.

Have you tried contacting them through their whatsapp number? Maybe if you explain the situation and our findings, they might do a swap with you. Or at least maybe give you an exchange plus some money on your end?

Good luck
      04-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #51
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

LoL I still can't tell if your box is different from that picture. But I assume it is.

I tried finding a similar place like you. But to be honest. I didn't feel comfortable shoving it anywhere. The harness didn't seem super robust. I was afraid of shoving the box behind the CIC or panel and pinching cables and what not.

Have you tried contacting them through their whatsapp number? Maybe if you explain the situation and our findings, they might do a swap with you. Or at least maybe give you an exchange plus some money on your end?

Good luck
Do you have a part number on your box anywhere? I believe they're the same, but I'm not 100%.

I will take mine out when I get home and compare.

Mine is tucked nicely to the right of the CIC and the wires aren't crimped or anything. It's super frustrating that mine is having issues.

Have you used your navigation for a period of time yet? Mine will do this thing where I come up to a turn, make the turn, and the GPS won't update. It will just be very sluggish or it will be behind (I.e., I'll get to the road and it'll still say "in 500 feet turn right on _____ road)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #52
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a part number on your box anywhere? I believe they're the same, but I'm not 100%.

Mine is tucked nicely to the right of the CIC and the wires aren't crimped or anything. It's super frustrating that mine is having issues.

Have you used your navigation for a period of time yet? Mine will do this thing where I come up to a turn, make the turn, and the GPS won't update. It will just be very sluggish or it will be behind (I.e., I'll get to the road and it'll still say "in 500 feet turn right on _____ road)
Mine works as intended in both Waze and Google maps.

Sorry no part number on the box. But if you take yours out and compare it to the pictures earlier. I bet the ports where you plug them in are on a different side.
      04-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #53
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Mine works as intended in both Waze and Google maps.

Sorry no part number on the box. But if you take yours out and compare it to the pictures earlier. I bet the ports where you plug them in are on a different side.
I think that they're the same, I zoomed in and while it's a weird angle, the plugs are the same size and spaced the same. To the left of the middle plug is where the small switches are to configure screen size
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #54
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think that they're the same, I zoomed in and while it's a weird angle, the plugs are the same size and spaced the same. To the left of the middle plug is where the small switches are to configure screen size
Hmm if that's the case. Then perhaps you're right and all you need is the correct cable harness.

EDIT: Actually. On my box. The dip switches to select the screen size is on the opposite side of the plugs. It's not next to the middle plug.

Last edited by luckyse7en; 04-11-2019 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #55
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm if that's the case. Then perhaps you're right and all you need is the correct cable harness.

EDIT: Actually. On my box. The dip switches to select the screen size is on the opposite side of the plugs. It's not next to the middle plug.
So, mine doesn't say JoyeAuto on the box, but this is what it looks like. I measured it and it's 3.5" by 5.5"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #56
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So, mine doesn't say JoyeAuto on the box, but this is what it looks like. I measured it and it's 3.5" by 5.5"
Yup looks the same. I got the same label on mine, except with a newer date of course. I'd ask them about the difference in harness then.
      04-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #57
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yup looks the same. I got the same label on mine, except with a newer date of course. I'd ask them about the difference in harness then.
Even my harness is CIC. I think you may have more updated hardware. My "CAR" icon doesn't say "BMW" and when I connect to ACP, it is "AutoBOX"

Also, in removing everything, I unplugged the ACP box and plugged it back in and it's functioning normally again. In past it never lasts...

How long have you used yours continuously?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #58
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Even my harness is CIC. I think you may have more updated hardware. My "CAR" icon doesn't say "BMW" and when I connect to ACP, it is "AutoBOX"

Also, in removing everything, I unplugged the ACP box and plugged it back in and it's functioning normally again. In past it never lasts...

I don't recognize the harness you have pictured. Show me what the plug looks like. Is this the harness you had to move the optic cable to?

So far the longest I've used the system is about an hour. I only just installed it a few days ago.

Fooksdaddy I just tested the system with my wife's Galaxy S9. The box doesn't even recognize that it's plugged in. It says please plug in android device. It seems like android auto isn't a priority with this company.
      04-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #59
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't recognize the harness you have pictured. Show me what the plug looks like. Is this the harness you had to move the optic cable to?

So far the longest I've used the system is about an hour. I only just installed it a few days ago.

Fooksdaddy I just tested the system with my wife's Galaxy S9. The box doesn't even recognize that it's plugged in. It says please plug in android device. It seems like android auto isn't a priority with this company.
Yes, that is the quad lock adapter. Circled in red is the OEM harness, that I removed the fiber optic from and the blue is the ACP quad lock that then plugs directly into the CIC.

I think that my hardware must be older than yours. I've already put the car back together, but I did relocate the box to behind the glove box fuse box door.

I have found that if I unplug the box from power it resets if it's frozen.

I am awaiting a response from JoyeAuto, but I am not hopeful at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:54 PM   #60
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is the quad lock adapter. Circled in red is the OEM harness, that I removed the fiber optic from and the blue is the ACP quad lock that then plugs directly into the CIC.

I think that my hardware must be older than yours. I've already put the car back together, but I did relocate the box to behind the glove box fuse box door.

I have found that if I unplug the box from power it resets if it's frozen.

I am awaiting a response from JoyeAuto, but I am not hopeful at all.
I see. I'm positive I didn't use a harness like that. The video below from JoyeAuto is a CIC install in a 7 series. My install was exactly like this. Minus the fact the guy took the screen off to stuff the box behind it. But you can see he didn't mess with any quad lock connector on his factory unit at all.

Let me know what they say. I'm curious to know why we have the same box but different harness setup.

04-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #61
Fooksdaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII

Quote:
Quote:

dang, thanks!!
E36 ///M3 Arctic Silver
E46 ///M3 Carbon Schwartz
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #62
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooksdaddy View Post
dang, thanks!!
You might have some luck with the AVIN screens. I hear the new version worked out a lot of bugs people were complaining about.
      04-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #63
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

I'm hoping you don't run into any issues luckyse7en like dkmcclelland .

I want to buy this lollll. I wish there was a better mounting solution that is more hidden.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #64
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm hoping you don't run into any issues luckyse7en like dkmcclelland .

I want to buy this lollll. I wish there was a better mounting solution that is more hidden.
So far so good. I did notice some location inaccuracies when multiple GPS apps are installed. My location would rubber band around a bit while driving, sometimes not reading a turn I made or putting me on a side street.

I tested my theory by uninstalling Waze and just letting Google Maps be the main app. It was a lot better after I did this.

I suspect carplay mode doesn't know which app to prioritize location data to. Even if you have enable location services only when app open. I tried having one app closed and one open, didn't seem to help. I think in the background, location data is still being used by both apps.

I googled this issue and it doesn't seem particular to this box. Other users of carplay from OEM factory car systems to aftermarket stereos have complained about this.

I currently still have both apps installed. I'll test it some more before uninstalling one. This issue doesn't seem to affect the phone as much when it's not in carplay mode.
      04-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #65
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
So far so good. I did notice some location inaccuracies when multiple GPS apps are installed. My location would rubber band around a bit while driving, sometimes not reading a turn I made or putting me on a side street.

I tested my theory by uninstalling Waze and just letting Google Maps be the main app. It was a lot better after I did this.

I suspect carplay mode doesn't know which app to prioritize location data to. Even if you have enable location services only when app open. I tried having one app closed and one open, didn't seem to help. I think in the background, location data is still being used by both apps.

I googled this issue and it doesn't seem particular to this box. Other users of carplay from OEM factory car systems to aftermarket stereos have complained about this.

I currently still have both apps installed. I'll test it some more before uninstalling one. This issue doesn't seem to affect the phone as much when it's not in carplay mode.

That is interesting. I have tried leaving Gmaps and Waze on at the same time and the precedence on my Honda Civic 2017 is to provide GPS to the foreground app. If I am using Gmaps and revert back to Waze after some time, it would treat it as if I was at the location I was when I switched over to Gmaps.

Either way, I think that is odd behavior from ACP framework rather than the module here.

Keep us updated! dkmcclelland spot behind the glovebox looks nice but I think you mentioned that it wouldn't reach that far?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #66
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That is interesting. I have tried leaving Gmaps and Waze on at the same time and the precedence on my Honda Civic 2017 is to provide GPS to the foreground app. If I am using Gmaps and revert back to Waze after some time, it would treat it as if I was at the location I was when I switched over to Gmaps.

Either way, I think that is odd behavior from ACP framework rather than the module here.

Keep us updated! dkmcclelland spot behind the glovebox looks nice but I think you mentioned that it wouldn't reach that far?
I had thought it wouldn't reach either until yesterday.

I had to relocate the USB access cord to come out in the passenger footwell beneath the shifter between the seat and the transmission tunnel, but it fits there fine and the ACP module is behind the fuse box door in the glove box.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0