BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #1145
JScheier
Private
Rep
Drives: GTS3 BMW E36 in NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnohoRaptor View Post
Installed my stage 1 tune last week from this latest group buy.

I've gone for 3 drives since and noticed a few things:
1. More mid range power. This is similar in change as the increase in throttle response from standard to power setting. Not a crazy change, but definitely worth the cost alone.
2. It runs way smoother. I was definitely in need of the update.

Alex, thank you for a great product and providing us group buys.
Same here with same results. I also installed the GTS DCT tune. Daily driving the trans is a lot less clunky. In MDM, the shifts seem faster, but also smoother.

Painless install as well.

Thanks Alex!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #1146
MunichMike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Wanted to give a quick review on the new ''low burble'' map. Only had a short drive with it last night, but here's my impression so far. The original burble map was a bit much for me, seemed like there was no control over when it would pop and was all over the rev range.

The new map is exactly what I was looking for. Around town it sounds and drives just like it did without burbles, but if you bring it above 4800-5k it will burble when you let off on decel. For people that may ask, I'm running Bimmerworld's dual resonator xpipe with a 4 pipe OEM mod.

Alex did a great job with this map, and customer service was great like always. I emailed him with a request for the map and I had it within 3 hours.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #1147
nishfish87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunichMike View Post
Wanted to give a quick review on the new ''low burble'' map. Only had a short drive with it last night, but here's my impression so far. The original burble map was a bit much for me, seemed like there was no control over when it would pop and was all over the rev range.

The new map is exactly what I was looking for. Around town it sounds and drives just like it did without burbles, but if you bring it above 4800-5k it will burble when you let off on decel. For people that may ask, I'm running Bimmerworld's dual resonator xpipe with a 4 pipe OEM mod.

Alex did a great job with this map, and customer service was great like always. I emailed him with a request for the map and I had it within 3 hours.
Thanks for the review, I've requested the low burble as well. Sounds like the happy medium.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #1148
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
Rep
Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC

Anybody know if taking a DCT out for resealing would cause the GTS tune to come off of it? The performance was a little unrefined prior to the tune, then very smooth, and now it is back to being a bit clunky at times. Low speeds in parking lots, waiting in line to show my badge at work etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #1149
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post
Anybody know if taking a DCT out for resealing would cause the GTS tune to come off of it? The performance was a little unrefined prior to the tune, then very smooth, and now it is back to being a bit clunky at times. Low speeds in parking lots, waiting in line to show my badge at work etc.
Won't effect the DCT firmware.

Check to make sure it is properly filled. Sounds like it could be low on fluid. Look up the correct procedure to fill it. Just filling it with fluid won't do it. It needs to be run to a certain temp and checked while running.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #1150
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
Rep
Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Won't effect the DCT firmware.

Check to make sure it is properly filled. Sounds like it could be low on fluid. Look up the correct procedure to fill it. Just filling it with fluid won't do it. It needs to be run to a certain temp and checked while running.
Good call, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 07:31 AM   #1151
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
My cable arrived today, just waiting for the email from Alex with the next steps
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:55 PM   #1152
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnohoRaptor View Post
While the cat removal's influence seemed to produce more rasp then I would ever find acceptable, I wasn't worried as it's currently paired with an otherwise stock exhaust. (Corsa is next).
Corsa really completes the exhaust. It takes a few miles to break in, but kills the rasp, is drone free and has one hell of a note.

Do want to give a shout out to Alex. Decided to try out the "Low burble" option, had a new file 6 minutes after sending my email. Also decided to see what leaving cold start on was like. Holy $#!t that's loud! I went back to cold start delete.

Will have to see how the low burble tune is this weekend.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #1153
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

How are you finding out what map options Alpine has? I don't see burble options any where
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #1154
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powashiftin View Post
How are you finding out what map options Alpine has? I don't see burble options any where
When you purchase a tune he gives you a list of all the variables you can adjust (stage 1/2, minimum octane, burbles, servotronic, etc). You send him a list of what you want and he returns the file to you.
      10-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #1155
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Quote:
When you purchase a tune he gives you a list of all the variables you can adjust (stage 1/2, minimum octane, burbles, servotronic, etc). You send him a list of what you want and he returns the file to you.
Yes, I have his tune. I wasn't aware there was a specific "low burble" tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:22 PM   #1156
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I have his tune. I wasn't aware there was a specific "low burble" tune.
Don't worry, I just found out as well.

I asked Alex about a low burble tune earlier this year (Feb) and was told that no one has asked for a file like that. Most want more burbles lol..

I'm glad I came back to the thread to see this though, and I'm glad other's felt the same way with the normal burble tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #1157
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Once someone loads the low burble tune, can you get a video if possible?

or I could just get off my ass and try it also. But I'm feeling lazy and don't like switching tunes.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #1158
MunichMike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuu View Post
Don't worry, I just found out as well.

I asked Alex about a low burble tune earlier this year (Feb) and was told that no one has asked for a file like that. Most want more burbles lol..

I'm glad I came back to the thread to see this though, and I'm glad other's felt the same way with the normal burble tune.
Quote:
Once someone loads the low burble tune, can you get a video if possible?

or I could just get off my ass and try it also. But I'm feeling lazy and don't like switching tunes.
I should have some videos this weekend. I've driven the car a few times now with the low burble and love it. Like I said above, the issue I had with the original burble map was the lack of control of the pops. They were all over the rev range in any gear and would happen alot of the time when you didnt want it to, lol.

The new low burble is easily controlled. Driving around town/city it sounds just like it did without any burbles. But if you bring it above 4800-5k and let off, it pops quite a bit on decel.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #1159
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunichMike View Post
The new low burble is easily controlled. Driving around town/city it sounds just like it did without any burbles. But if you bring it above 4800-5k and let off, it pops quite a bit on decel.
Do the pops still sound like this?

I only ran burbles on the E85 tune because it came with burbles without me asking for it.

It only did it if I let off above 5k.
But if you let off at like 7.5k, it will keep doing it until rpms go below 5k-ish. Which was too much for me.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #1160
statik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3, 2017 RS3, 2013 BRZ

drove me nuts too, he sent me a version without it when asked
Quote:
Do the pops still sound like this?

I only ran burbles on the E85 tune because it came with burbles without me asking for it.

It only did it if I let off above 5k.
But if you let off at like 7.5k, it will keep doing it until rpms go below 5k-ish. Which was too much for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #1161
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Yeah the burbles sound every bit as silly as they do on something like a Merc AMG A45, and corrupt the beautiful V8 sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #1162
InfjM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw E93 M3(Gone), Benz C43 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yin View Post
Just wanted to leave a quick feedback post. Just got my 08 E92 M3 DCT tuned remotely by Alex. I was amazed at how smooth and quick the shifts were compared to stock. No more jerking while stopping or during slowing down and speeding up again in traffic.

Alex is very knowledgeable and is there every step of the way from helping me with installing the software needed on my computer to the steps needed on my side to getting the tuning/coding started.

Highly recommend any DCT owner to get in contact with Alex for his tune and any coding needs you may have.

Thanks again Alex for the tune, coding, and advice!
Did you also get the gts dct tune as well to smooth out the jerking??
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #1163
InfjM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw E93 M3(Gone), Benz C43 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Agreed, the best experience with any tune I've had. It's so nice to just request different maps and get them no questions asked. I started stage 1, then 2 and 2 different files since with various changes made. I also am unsure about the servo and can't feel much change, but like you, I think it could just be my ability to tell... Is there a way to change the steering feel a tad more in a map request?
If i request a different map later on from Alex, will it cost another time or its free of charge?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #1164
M3 hacker
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfjM3 View Post
If i request a different map later on from Alex, will it cost another time or its free of charge?
No - I think if you’re a paid customer you can request one free non e85 or DCT tune a week.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #1165
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfjM3 View Post
You're able to ask for up to 2 tunes a week according to his email. I suppose if you're really trying to iron a kink out he's not going to stop you, but I suspect some people want every permutation of tune saved on their HDD just because and he's trying to thwart those people.
      10-23-2020, 03:09 PM   #1166
mtlblaue36
Slow
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
1995 325i  [0.00]
So finally got around to flashing my first maps/tunes from Alex.

Alex gives you a limit of 2 map requests per week so for my first request I asked for:

Map 1
91 Octane Stage 2
Cold start delete
Servotronics
Top speed limit removal
Launch control
Redline increase to 8600

Map 2
94 Octane Stage 2
Cold Start Delete
Servotronics
Tops speed limit removal
Launch control
Redline increase to 8600
Burples

Initial impressions, very impressed overall. Really noticeably smooths out the power band. Feels like a much more refined delivery of power. What I noticed right away, is the improved throttle mapping. Power mode truly feels like a power mode now. When off, it feels much less lazy than before. Still a subdued setting, but actually useable. I always left my power mode on previously, whereas now, I think I’ll actually make use of that button.

The install process was fairly easy and straightforward. I’m someone who doesn’t have any coding experience so the idea of plugging my computer into the car was a bit daunting tbh. However, the instructions to install the flash software are easy to follow. No hiccups. After doing it the first time, I was confident to flash another map easily in a few minutes. Should be handy when on a road trip/away from the city and find myself having to use lower octane (91).

The 94 map feels very nearly identical to the 91 map. The butt dyno can’t feel a significant difference between the two. Mayyybe the very top of the power band but can't say for sure without trying on a dyno.

I also tried the burble tune with the 94 map out of curiousity. From watching other videos in this thread, I thought it would be fun and not overly obnoxious. It is pretty fun, ngl. Especially with my girlfriend in the car who HATES any attention . My favourite part is the way it’s controllable with the 6spd. It makes for some fun upshift pop or pops depending on how high you rev and how slow you shift while giving some throttle. Overrun burples from 7k are pretty obnoxious though. I thought it would be more subtle as I still have secondaries/stock xpipe but it’s not I can’t imagine how ridiculous it would be straight pipe. There are no burbles below 4K, at least with my exhaust set up. So driving around the city more calmly, I forget it’s there. I think now that I’ve tried it, I will just go back to a regular 94 map. Maybe I’ll miss the sounds, but I doubt it tbh. The S65 doesn’t need them to sound good imo!

I have found a certain aspect of the tune a bit conflicting. Despite the car definitely feeling smoother, more refined, and (not really noticeable but I’d assume) faster, I feel like the car has lost a bit of the crazy character/soul. I read on another thread, someone described it as no longer having the ‘hair-on-fire’ feeling to it. It certainly isn’t less dramatic, but it does feel less like a bull bucking you and instead more like a horse you’re spurring on. Much of that feeling could be due to the throttle mapping being much smoother.

Overall, super happy! Thanks Alex! Second batch of map requests coming

instagram: mtlblaue36
build thread
Appreciate 2