BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-21-2020, 07:10 AM   #23
noremaC
.
noremaC's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
652
Posts

Drives: e90M
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
So, brake vibration can come from:
1) Pad deposits on the rotors.
2) Bad wheel bearings (a big concern if you are also getting an intermittent long pedal, as this suggests pad knockback).
3) Balljoint or bushing failure. The thrust arm bushing, and the front lower link seem to be the weakest components in the E9x front suspension.
4) It is possible that the rotor is warped. I've had issues in the past with the BMW "floating" rotors. I wouldn't rule it out.
1 - attempting to correct with ESB Yellow pads - haven't gotten a chance to heat up the rotors, yet
2 - don't believe I'm experiencing "long pedal", however not entirely sure what that is
3- what is the replacement part(s) here? Is this FCAB (i.e replace with monoballs)?
4- will likely put on new rotors all else fails (maybe a used front BBK)
__________________
Current: 2009 Alpine White/Black e90 m3
Past: 2008 Interlagos/Black e92 m3
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #24
nrubenstein
Lieutenant
256
Rep
417
Posts

Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post
1 - attempting to correct with ESB Yellow pads - haven't gotten a chance to heat up the rotors, yet
2 - don't believe I'm experiencing "long pedal", however not entirely sure what that is
3- what is the replacement part(s) here? Is this FCAB (i.e replace with monoballs)?
4- will likely put on new rotors all else fails (maybe a used front BBK)
1- I'm going to second others and say that I'm not convinced that the EBCs will solve your problem. Hawk Blues are famous as rotor cleaners (and paint destroyers) for a reason. One of the difficult parts about this is that you want to keep the brakes COLD when you do this.
2 - You said the pedal has gone to the floor. That's "long pedal." Or when the pedal just goes down further than expected. Although if it's from just the one time, probably not the bearings. (Note, if you haven't bled your brakes, you should do that after boiling them.)
3 - The thrust arm is commonly "upgraded" to monoball, although there's an NVH penalty. The lower control arm link (the little arm) just has to be replaced if it's bad.
4 - Buying an expensive set of brake pads to maybe or maybe not fix a bad set of not *that* expensive rotors probably doesn't make much sense. If you've been unable to make this go away after a few hundred miles, it's probably not going to.
__________________
2011.75 E90 M3 | 2006 GMC Sierra LBZ | 2002 M3 | 1999 323i GTS2 | 1995 M3 S50B32 | 1990 325is | 1989 M3 | Hers: 1989 325iX | 1996 911 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #25
noremaC
.
noremaC's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
652
Posts

Drives: e90M
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
1- I'm going to second others and say that I'm not convinced that the EBCs will solve your problem. Hawk Blues are famous as rotor cleaners (and paint destroyers) for a reason. One of the difficult parts about this is that you want to keep the brakes COLD when you do this.
2 - You said the pedal has gone to the floor. That's "long pedal." Or when the pedal just goes down further than expected. Although if it's from just the one time, probably not the bearings. (Note, if you haven't bled your brakes, you should do that after boiling them.)
3 - The thrust arm is commonly "upgraded" to monoball, although there's an NVH penalty. The lower control arm link (the little arm) just has to be replaced if it's bad.
4 - Buying an expensive set of brake pads to maybe or maybe not fix a bad set of not *that* expensive rotors probably doesn't make much sense. If you've been unable to make this go away after a few hundred miles, it's probably not going to.
It's a catch 22. Buy a new part and hope it fixes the issue. Or chase the problem with different approaches (i.e. aggressive pads to clean up the rotors). I don't think it's a suspension issue - I really believe it's something to do with the rotors. Can I get there with a $100 fix (brake pads)? Or bite the bullet and spend $700 on new rotors and pads.
__________________
Current: 2009 Alpine White/Black e90 m3
Past: 2008 Interlagos/Black e92 m3
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #26
Redd
Lieutenant Colonel
969
Rep
1,850
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

https://itstillruns.com/clean-glaze-...s-4421355.html
Appreciate 1
noremaC166.50

      10-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #27
noremaC
.
noremaC's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
652
Posts

Drives: e90M
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (3)

Can you visibly see glaze? Rotors don't look abnormal.
__________________
Current: 2009 Alpine White/Black e90 m3
Past: 2008 Interlagos/Black e92 m3
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #28
SAMM3Y
Colonel
SAMM3Y's Avatar
1909
Rep
2,125
Posts

Drives: 2008 m3
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (2)

If you were going to go to all that trouble I'd just pull the rotors and have them turned... do we not turn m3 rotors for some reason?
__________________
9ers
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #29
noremaC
.
noremaC's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
652
Posts

Drives: e90M
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
If you were going to go to all that trouble I'd just pull the rotors and have them turned... do we not turn m3 rotors for some reason?
I read a comment from Malek@MRF from 2012 that he has resurfaced tons of cross drilled M3 rotors without issue: see here / full thread.

Judging from the craters in my OEM pads (right before I put on the EBC's) I'm willing to bet there are deposits in the cross drills which are causing the vibrations. I just need to figure how to BLAST them out.
__________________
Current: 2009 Alpine White/Black e90 m3
Past: 2008 Interlagos/Black e92 m3
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #30
nrubenstein
Lieutenant
256
Rep
417
Posts

Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post
I read a comment from Malek@MRF from 2012 that he has resurfaced tons of cross drilled M3 rotors without issue: see here / full thread.

Judging from the craters in my OEM pads (right before I put on the EBC's) I'm willing to bet there are deposits in the cross drills which are causing the vibrations. I just need to figure how to BLAST them out.
How much have you gently driven the car since this issue?

Gentle is the key to cleaning off rotors with aggressive pads as you're actively trying to avoid pad material transfer.
__________________
2011.75 E90 M3 | 2006 GMC Sierra LBZ | 2002 M3 | 1999 323i GTS2 | 1995 M3 S50B32 | 1990 325is | 1989 M3 | Hers: 1989 325iX | 1996 911 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #31
noremaC
.
noremaC's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
652
Posts

Drives: e90M
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
How much have you gently driven the car since this issue?

Gentle is the key to cleaning off rotors with aggressive pads as you're actively trying to avoid pad material transfer.
Normal street driving mixed with some hard stops when I first swapped in the EBC Yellow's. Been about 2 weeks and definitely a judder/vibrations still there. It's a shame since the rotors have only 15k miles on them. On my e92, they went about 75k miles. Neither car had seen the track on those sets of rotors.
__________________
Current: 2009 Alpine White/Black e90 m3
Past: 2008 Interlagos/Black e92 m3
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:59 PM   #32
Ashley_rj
Private
Ashley_rj's Avatar
24
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: e90 M3 2009 harrop s/c
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
So, brake vibration can come from:
1) Pad deposits on the rotors.
2) Bad wheel bearings (a big concern if you are also getting an intermittent long pedal, as this suggests pad knockback).
3) Balljoint or bushing failure. The thrust arm bushing, and the front lower link seem to be the weakest components in the E9x front suspension.
4) It is possible that the rotor is warped. I've had issues in the past with the BMW "floating" rotors. I wouldn't rule it out.
I warped my stock front rotors on a track day with padgid rsl 1's. I was a bit naieve and cooked the breaks, they became extremely juddery when hot and ok when not but there was a bit of vibration in the steering wheel when driving. I have since up graded to a BBK. Yet to take that to the track though... damn COVID!!
__________________
2009 e90 M3 Harrop s/c
2006 golf GTI stage 1
2018 Triumph Street triple RS
1999 e36 M3 convertible-sold
Appreciate 1
noremaC166.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST