BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-28-2018, 04:00 AM   #1
L3stat
Rep
Drives: F80

DCT "thud" while stationary

Hi guys, I've searched through but didn't find anything similar hence a new post. Wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue.

My 2010 E90 drives and works fine, around 50k miles now, no shifting problems. Of late, I've noticed that during longer waits at the lights (in D), there would randomly be a soft "thud", accompanied by a slight twitch that can be felt (as if someone nudged the car forward slightly). But the car does not move/creep forward. Take off after lights go green is normal after. I haven't waited long enough at any lights for this to happen twice in a row. It's hard to record because it's pretty random as well.

This feels intuitively like a DCT thing, and I haven't done anything else to the car recently that could remotely explain the sound or nudge (e.g. replaced wheel speed sensor in June but should be unrelated). This is my third M3, but I've not ever noticed this before with my first E90 and subsequent F80. Just weird. Dinan's DCT software was installed when I got it, but I flashed that out with factory software back in May. Again, should be unrelated.

The car does not throw any errors, and up on a hoist, the lower pan looks dry (previous owner had it replaced), while there's slight seepage from the side pan (was not done previously). I believe the oil levels in the DCT are fine, otherwise the car would have thrown an error? Also, shifting feels normal, no lags or other peculiarities.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Is this normal? What could be the cause? The workshop I went to didn't have a strong view on what the cause could be, but suggested that the DCT is sensitive to the fluid it runs. I have no idea what was used when the lower pan was replaced by the previous owner. They suggested a fluid flush, but I thought since the side pan was seeping, this would be a good time to get that addressed as well.

Appreciate any thoughts/guesses! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 04:54 AM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

this is normal and it happens to me from time to time, and i've seen other threads describing the same symptoms.

what i would theorize it is, is just a "hiccup" that causes the clutch to engage and then disengages once it figures out you're stopped with your foot on the brake.
      09-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
this is normal and it happens to me from time to time, and i've seen other threads describing the same symptoms.

what i would theorize it is, is just a "hiccup" that causes the clutch to engage and then disengages once it figures out you're stopped with your foot on the brake.
I concur. had same issue, searching the forum seemed to indicate it's seen in many cars. I did have the dct adaptation reset a while back and I haven't noticed the issue lately.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
m3peat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

Same for me and I've accepted it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
L3stat
Rep

Hi guys, thanks for the inputs! I must have been searching for the wrong terms, most DCT threads either talk about the leaks or juddering when the car is moving. It is still strange to me that I haven't noticed this with my past 2 cars, granted maybe the F80 is not an apples-to-apples comparison. I guess in your opinion still a good idea to get that weeping side panel addressed?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Definitely normal. I will say for me it happens more when I'm stopped at a light with M button engaged. So Euro MDM, Power at sport plus, Servo at max, Shift speed at S4 or S5, and EDC in sport,
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 02:57 AM   #7
L3stat
Rep

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 05:46 AM   #8
Sneaky Pete
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M car

One thing that does cause that sort of effect is the park brake...which is a parking pawl system.
If it disengages under load you will get a thud.
Why it would be doing it in your situation is not obvious.
Are you shifting into neutral?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
L3stat
Rep

Hi Pete, yeah I'm familiar with the parking pawl sensation when putting into D. What I experienced is nowhere as "violent", just a gentle nudge, and no the car doesn't go into N. Just to update I've since replaced all the DCT seals and have fresh oil. The car still does it sporadically. I think I'll have to learn to accept it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
Rainer M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, 2018 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3stat View Post
Hi Pete, yeah I'm familiar with the parking pawl sensation when putting into D. What I experienced is nowhere as "violent", just a gentle nudge, and no the car doesn't go into N. Just to update I've since replaced all the DCT seals and have fresh oil. The car still does it sporadically. I think I'll have to learn to accept it.
Mine does the same thing.
It didn't get worse over the years so I just accept that's a fluke.
I drive about 30.000 miles on it and it's ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I'd say it's somewhat normal. The DCT is self-adjusting so the clutches might just be slipping a little bit differently.

Could always change the fluid out and re-run the adaptation, but generally you shouldn't need to (unlike the older SMGs).
      11-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #12
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

MY 11 DCT does the same exact thing. It occurs randomly, and feels like an audible thud or clunk, but only at a stop when the car engages from N to D.

Strangely this first popped up after I had the DCT fluid serviced, but it could be a coincidence. Knock on wood it hasn't happened in about 2 weeks so I'm not that worried about it, and also a little relieved I am not the only one.

Otherwise the car is flawless so I am chalking it up to a minor DCT hiccup and its nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #13
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Are you holding the brake when at a stop?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #14
madrit21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

I have this same problem. I had a gts flash, reset adaptations, and a transmission fluid flush done. Still the same problem. Only seemsto happen on accelerations from a dead stop. Extremely annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #15
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Is it not advised to hold a brake when at the traffic light?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 01:36 AM   #16
L3stat
Rep

Quote:
Nope, in D at a stop the clutch is disengaged. If I guess correctly where you're going with this question, maybe the software thinks I wanna go, and momentarily engages the clutch causing the nudge. This did cross my mind but out of habit I usually leave my foot off the brake at a stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 07:24 AM   #17
Pro-AM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

could be normal, could be not normal. check your driveshaft and differential bolts are all still tight and snug
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 12:57 AM   #18
madrit21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3stat View Post
Hi guys, I've searched through but didn't find anything similar hence a new post. Wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue.

My 2010 E90 drives and works fine, around 50k miles now, no shifting problems. Of late, I've noticed that during longer waits at the lights (in D), there would randomly be a soft "thud", accompanied by a slight twitch that can be felt (as if someone nudged the car forward slightly). But the car does not move/creep forward. Take off after lights go green is normal after. I haven't waited long enough at any lights for this to happen twice in a row. It's hard to record because it's pretty random as well.

This feels intuitively like a DCT thing, and I haven't done anything else to the car recently that could remotely explain the sound or nudge (e.g. replaced wheel speed sensor in June but should be unrelated). This is my third M3, but I've not ever noticed this before with my first E90 and subsequent F80. Just weird. Dinan's DCT software was installed when I got it, but I flashed that out with factory software back in May. Again, should be unrelated.

The car does not throw any errors, and up on a hoist, the lower pan looks dry (previous owner had it replaced), while there's slight seepage from the side pan (was not done previously). I believe the oil levels in the DCT are fine, otherwise the car would have thrown an error? Also, shifting feels normal, no lags or other peculiarities.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Is this normal? What could be the cause? The workshop I went to didn't have a strong view on what the cause could be, but suggested that the DCT is sensitive to the fluid it runs. I have no idea what was used when the lower pan was replaced by the previous owner. They suggested a fluid flush, but I thought since the side pan was seeping, this would be a good time to get that addressed as well.

Appreciate any thoughts/guesses! Thanks!
I think im having the same issue. Heres a clip of whats going on with mine. Let me know if its similar to your problem..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #19
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrit21 View Post
I think im having the same issue. Heres a clip of whats going on with mine. Let me know if its similar to your problem..
Sorry but it looks like you need a mechatronics unit, that’s def not normal.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #20
madrit21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrit21 View Post
Sorry but it looks like you need a mechatronics unit, that's def not normal.
Mechatronics was tested and turned out to be good. No idea what else it could be. There is no SES lights on. Not throwing any codes.
Appreciate 0