BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-04-2022, 12:44 PM   #23
AirborneFF
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorBob View Post
Short update. I remove the electronics portion of the mechatronics. Pretty easy as it mounted on top of the valve body and held in place by a dozen or so Torx screws. I found someone on eBay who sells used ones. They are guaranteed good and he re-codes them with your existing unit which I’ll send Monday. He seemed pretty confident that the pressure sensor, mounted on the E-unit is the culprit. This make sense to me also based on the fault and the lack of any obvious issues in the clutch. Valve body seems fine and i checked each of the solenoids and they all seem to function properly.

It will probably be a couple weeks before i have the new unit back, mounted and the DCT ready to install. needless to say, my fingers are crossed!
Can you DM me the ebay shop you dealt with? I am in the same boat.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 11:19 AM   #24
MajorBob
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 e88 135i, 2008 e60 M5

The transmission saga comes to an end (hopefully). Wow, after the 4th removal I think I have the DCT sorted! To recap, the first time, which started this thread was after I got the 5A41 Pressure Sensor, Clutch 1 DCT fault. This occurred back in May, I pulled the tranz and replaced the Mechatronics with one from a guy on Ebay who offered used ones coded to your car. Put it in and the pressure Sensor fault was gone but now I had several new faults (12 to be precise). The Ebay guy offered me another Mechatronics so out she comes again (#2). After the second replacement Mach, I am down to 3 faults, 5A73 , 5A58 and 5A76. The Ebay guy goes dark, but I’m starting to think the twin sensor behind the clutch could be the culprit since 2 of the faults are directly tied to it. I bite the bullet, and order a brand new sensor and the trans comes out again (#3). I carefully replace the sensor and inspect the wiring harness for faults. At this time I also replaced the Transmission to engine wiring harness for good measure. Everything goes back together and I’m left with the exact same 3 faults. Ok, so I feel I’ve eliminated about 90% of potential issues so I just start looking for a good low mile (relatively) replacement DCT. Oddly I find one somewhat local for a good price and a 30 day warranty. Picked it up week before last and installed with fresh filters and oil (#4) . It was from the exact same year and model car as mine so didn’t bother with coding. Fired her us and bam! No more transmission codes and shifts perfectly!

On the plus side, I’ve gotten very good at removing and replacing the transmission, and feel I understand the internals very well. On the negative, I purchased a butt load of filters and DCT fluid, not to mention the sensor and used transmission.

Anyway, I always hate when a thread starts but often is not resolved, so I thought I would close this one off on a successful resolution.

Thanks to everyone who helped and offered advice!
Appreciate 2