BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

10-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Dinan Springs

Dinan has EDC compliant springs for sale for the E92 M3. 1/2" drop all around. They are probably similar to the Eibach springs is my guess....

That being said this is probably a good option for those worried about using springs on the stock EDC shocks. Say what you will about Dinan, there are R&D is among the best in the biz....

Jason
      10-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

+1 their parts are more expensive because they take the time to do extensive R&D. I was waiting for them to start releasing parts for the M3, good information!
      10-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

This is what I've been looking for. They have camber plates, too! I might go for these. Pricey though.

http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=787&page=1
http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=787&page=1
      10-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
flyinbrian
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Just curious but how much R & D does it take to make a spring?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrian View Post
Just curious but how much R & D does it take to make a spring?
It's not about "making the spring". It's about chosing the right parameters for it. Dinan seems to do that very well.
      10-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep

They make the spring that lowers the ride height 1/2 and inch but yet increases travel 3/8 in. This is usuable performance and looks. I am going to wait until winter passes before I buy these though, storing the car for the cold.
      10-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
flyinbrian
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMPOWER View Post
They make the spring that lowers the ride height 1/2 and inch but yet increases travel 3/8 in. This is usuable performance and looks. I am going to wait until winter passes before I buy these though, storing the car for the cold.
Really? How is that done. Do the other brands do that also such as H&R and Eibach do that?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really? How is that done. Do the other brands do that also such as H&R and Eibach do that?
Included with the springs are matching front and rear bump stops amd front guide supports. Eibach and H&R only include the springs. This is more of an overall suspension package that justifies the price.
      10-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
flyinbrian
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMPOWER View Post
Included with the springs are matching front and rear bump stops amd front guide supports. Eibach and H&R only include the springs. This is more of an overall suspension package that justifies the price.
Cool and interesting, thanks for the info. I am considering springs to do a small drop on my car and this is good info to know.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RS 46 M3

$900 huh? I would rather spend a few more bucks and just get the real deal, KW V3. Same installation time/cost, far better performance, why not?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
flyinbrian
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serven7 View Post
$900 huh? I would rather spend a few more bucks and just get the real deal, KW V3. Same installation time/cost, far better performance, why not?
EDC would not be functional.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
EDC would not be functional.
Dont get me wrong Im not a Dinan "hater". I understand the desire to keep the EDC, after all we did pay $1500 for it right, I personally have gone the V3 route but just out of curiosity what is it about these springs that make them so EDC compatible?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #13
flyinbrian
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dont get me wrong Im not a Dinan "hater". I understand the desire to keep the EDC, after all we did pay $1500 for it right, I personally have gone the V3 route but just out of curiosity what is it about these springs that make them so EDC compatible?
No idea, I am for sure no expert on springs. Just started looking myself as I would not mind a small drop with out loosing EDC functionality and ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #14
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Prove it. I'd put money on it that it won't be better. Different yes, but I bet not better.

The M3 is not a 335.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #15
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what is it about these springs that make them so EDC compatible?
Shorter springs can alter suspension geometry, and have different stifness (Dinan explicitly states that their springs are firmer). This all means that the stock suspension tune is significantly changed. As we all know, it takes BMW lots of design and testing time to get that all right. Now, it has to be done again since the parameters are different. Dinan has a reputation for doing that really well. You can buy adjustable suspension for your car, but most people don't have a clue as to how to tune it, and you don't get there by just using common sense. You need someone with the appropiate engineering expertise, and test drivers who really know what they are doing. Dinan has a good reputation in that regard, and that is partially what one would be paying for.
      10-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #16
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Dinan parts have been called overpriced. However, they have never been called cheap or of poor quality. And, Dinan parts always appear to work very well while maintaining the over all feel of the car.

Bottom line, after almost 7 years of tuning my BMW's I gotta say I have never heard or seen anything I didnt like from Dinan. Their parts are not always the most aggressive, true, but not everyone wants to drop their M3's within in an inch of its life....

Jason
      10-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #17
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Prove it. I'd put money on it that it won't be better. Different yes, but I bet not better.
Prove what that KW V3s are better than Dinan springs? Impossible! One isnt better than the other they are two totally different things. For those who want to keep the EDC that they paid for & a mild drop Dinan is a great choice. Now if you are talking strictly performance I will take the bet that KW are better.

Quote:
The M3 is not a 335.
The 335 is not an M3.

Quote:
No idea, I am for sure no expert on springs. Just started looking myself as I would not mind a small drop with out loosing EDC functionality and ride quality.
Sweet Dinan springs sound perfect for you!

Quote:
Shorter springs can alter suspension geometry, and have different stifness (Dinan explicitly states that their springs are firmer). This all means that the stock suspension tune is significantly changed. As we all know, it takes BMW lots of design and testing time to get that all right. Now, it has to be done again since the parameters are different. Dinan has a reputation for doing that really well. You can buy adjustable suspension for your car, but most people don't have a clue as to how to tune it, and you don't get there by just using common sense. You need someone with the appropiate engineering expertise, and test drivers who really know what they are doing. Dinan has a good reputation in that regard, and that is partially what one would be paying for.
Thanks Lucid Great answer. You are correct just simply buying a set of KW V3s isnt going to do anything without the proper set up.

As far as R&D goes yes Dinan does quite a bit but to try and compare there suspension R&D with KW is a long shot KW Technology.com

As it sits right now my car has KW recommended settings. In the next few weeks I will get it out on the track and have it dialed in.

Quote:
Dinan parts have been called overpriced. However, they have never been called cheap or of poor quality. And, Dinan parts always appear to work very well while maintaining the over all feel of the car.
Agreed

Quote:
Bottom line, after almost 7 years of tuning my BMW's I gotta say I have never heard or seen anything I didnt like from Dinan. Their parts are not always the most aggressive, true, but not everyone wants to drop their M3's within in an inch of its life....
The KW is fully adjustable, you can drop it as much or as little as you want

My closing statement of this post is the same statement as my first post of this thread with a little more of an explanation since I dont think Im getting my point across(which is an opinion). I obviously have no regard for my warrantee, or EDC for that matter so for ME(not you) it makes more sense to spend the extra money and get the full suspension, putting spings on your car is hardly "tuning" the suspension. I dont remember the post but a few months back someone reported slower lap times with H&R springs(I know its not Dinan). I would not buy these Dinan springs because you are stuck with no settings, my KWs can make my car ride like a Rock or a Cadillac. I understand the want/need to keep the EDC and I respect that decision.

Last edited by serven7; 10-18-2008 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #18
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RDSport RS 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Dinan parts have been called overpriced. However, they have never been called cheap or of poor quality.
Maybe I'll be the first to mention poor quality. This was an E46 M3 Exhaust that was quite expensive for just a section 3, and quite literally fell apart due to shoddy construction. All that money for what turned out to be an empty can once the tips broke off.
Dinan does produce some good products, but I think that they unfairly get an aura of prestige and quality because some dealerships here in North America choose to carry their products. However they are by no means perfect and not necessarily better (or worse) than any other company. Whether or not their spring set is worth $900 is up to the consumer, but just because they say Dinan doesn't mean more engineering or higher quality materials went into them vs. say H&R, KW, Eibach, Bilstein, etc...

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #19
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Pffffttt. Good luck with that. The last time I saw your car, the transmission was on a stand, and your motor was in pieces. I don't think Humpty Dumpty could even put it back together again.
but I just dropped it off for an oil change?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #20
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

any idea the cost of the installation?
      10-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #21
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

wait, i think it says 8.9 hours. is that possible?
      10-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #22
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley View Post
wait, i think it says 8.9 hours. is that possible?
Im assuming you are talking about springs? No they take 2
Appreciate 0