BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

11-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Review | JRZ Suspension Engineering RS Pro

Review | JRZ Suspension Engineering RS Pro

Introduction
For many years, I have been on the hunt for the suspension setup that near perfectly suits my needs in any regard possible.

To preface, I have had the following different suspension setups on my E46 M3:
  • OE - since brand new
  • Tein Lowering Springs
  • Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs
  • H&R Lowering Springs
  • Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit
  • Koni Adjustables with H&R Lowering Springs
  • Stance Super Sports
  • KW V2
  • KW V3 with Competition Valving
  • Ohlins Road & Track
  • JRZ Suspension Engineering RS Pro
For me, I find the perfect E46 M3 to be a car that can be driven all year round, through any different conditions, on the street, and on the track. To achieve this, I needed a suspension setup that was both very street compliant, yet could be transformed into a very capable track damper with nearly no limitation. Every suspension setup I've tried, it has always left something to be desired, until I finally decided to take the plunge and get the JRZ RS Pros.

I decided on the following suspension setup:
  • JRZ Suspension Engineering RS Pro Dampers w/ True Rear Coilover
  • JRZ Suspension Engineering Rear Clevis Mount
  • JRZ Suspension Engineering Front Stäubli Quick Disconnects
  • Ground Control Street Camber Plates (Anodized JRZ Red)
  • Ground Control Sway Bar End Links (Anodized JRZ Red)
  • Eibach 2.25" ID ERS Springs (6" 550#F/8" 325#R)
  • AKG Motorsport RSM Reinforcement Plates
Track Impressions
Godly. I am using Autobahn Country Club (ABCC) Full, North, and South Course as my controlled variable. Every suspension I've had in the past other than the JRZ, I found certain sections of the track to really make the chassis feel unbalanced. Either the car felt like it was skipping, launching, or jarring. What ultimately set the JRZ RS Pro separate from the rest was the phenomenal effectiveness of the valving and it's adjustments. There were back sections of ABCC Full/North that I found to be very bumpy and unsettling with every other suspension I've tried. Despite my efforts in adjusting the damping, I just felt like the ratios between the rebound and compression curves were not on point for my driving style and the track I was on.

With the JRZ RS Pros, I was able to finally tune the chassis to make weight transitions seamless, rumble strips silky smooth, and bumpy sections essentially non-existent. Ultimately, this provided me with more confidence in the car that helped me drastically improve lap times. It gave me the capability to more confidently take very efficient lines.

What cannot really be measured quantitatively was how these dampers revolutionized how I felt as a driver. As a track enthusiast, what really matters the most is having secure confidence in yourself and the capabilities of the car. For the very first time, I felt that with this suspension and it gave me the confidence to push myself harder without having to fight the car so much.

Street Impressions
What I am the most critical about is the street characteristics. Words cannot really explain how picky I am when it comes to this. On this setup, I chose spring rates that I was rather terrified to try because they were stiffer than anything else I've had in the past. JRZ Suspension Engineering, Olsen Motorsports, and my friends assured me that these dampers will have zero problem controlling the chassis with this spring rate. I did't believe them until I finally installed them!

Wow! Talk about street compliancy in a very low car! Believe it or not, these are hands down the smoothest setup I've ever had on the street. We all know that even stock can be a bit harsh and rough around the edges. No suspension I've had ever thoroughly made the chassis more compliant the way the JRZ RS Pros do. I strongly believe the key ingredient is the damping across the whole range of rate, load, and speed. Being able to control rebound and compression independently across a range that actually makes a difference has completely transformed the street driving experience. To top it off, the damper and mounting hardware is so silent and compliant!

Living in the Chicago-land area and frequently driving through the downtown area of the city, I am faced with some of the most horrendous roads. Under good suspension load, nothing has ever handled these bumps the way the JRZs do.

Conclusion
There was never a doubt that these dampers would be phenomenal on the track. There is a reason why some of the most competitive race teams and club racers use JRZ Suspension Engineering. For me being a primarily street E46 M3 driver, what really proved to be priceless was how the damping worked on my routine commutes.

I spent a lot of money on different suspension setups, installs, and alignments. Over the many years, I found that when it comes to suspension setups, you really get what you pay for. I was once so intimidated by having a 'race' damper on a street car. But now realize that these are the dampers that truly have the least compromise out of them all. What I learned through this journey is, decide on what you want and need, save until you get the product that will get you there. I would have saved a lot of money waiting until I was ready to buy the top tier dampers. At the same time, I don't regret my former choices because it really made me appreciate how much better these were for me.

Well...enough words...this thread really needs some photos...

Photos
Brand spanking new

Front damper and canister

Rear damper and canister

Rear clevis mount

Blue is my favorite color...all Estoril Blue E46 M3s need JRZ RS Pros

Matched my camber plates to my rebound knobs :lolhit:

First installed on Flippy, The JB E46 M3

Breaking in the dampers at Autobahn Country Club North Course

Threw them on the SG E46 M3 for Road America

Fall colors FTW!

Chiberia is on it's way so we squeezed in one more track day at Autobahn Country Club

Piloted by Abad46 so I could take pics my car :rofl3:

Random Notes:
I am posting this here since a damper is a damper and I imagine it would transcend the same type of feedback for the E9X M3 chassis to an extent.

I originally purchased the JRZ Suspension Engineering RS Pros directly from Bryan at JRZ.

I go through Olsen Motorsports for my JRZ servicing and rebuilds. I got into an accident in my Jet Black E46 M3 when it had the JRZs installed, so I took it to them to get inspected and shock dyno'd. Everything checked out perfectly fine!

I go through Olsen Motorsports for my chassis setup and track side support.

I will be buying JRZs from Olsen Motorsports for my E9X M3 within the next year or so.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Nice review. I agree there's something that's tangible but hard to explain about JRZ suspension systems and that is the amount of confidence you feel in the system regardless of whether it's bumpy or smooth.

In terms of confidence and driving ease it's like driving a Corvette, pretty easy to go fast, but at the limit the JRZ is better with both great feedback as well as it's so easy to get back under control when you exceed the limits a bit. Obviously there's probably some limit at which you're just going to be out of luck but if you're sensible you can always gather it back in.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Now that's a dream car if I ever saw one.

How does the rear feel; it being a true coilover system back there now?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Nice review. I agree there's something that's tangible but hard to explain about JRZ suspension systems and that is the amount of confidence you feel in the system regardless of whether it's bumpy or smooth.

In terms of confidence and driving ease it's like driving a Corvette, pretty easy to go fast, but at the limit the JRZ is better with both great feedback as well as it's so easy to get back under control when you exceed the limits a bit. Obviously there's probably some limit at which you're just going to be out of luck but if you're sensible you can always gather it back in.
You hit it right on the dot! As I mentioned before, these dampers alone really opened up my eyes to the potential of this chassis on the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Now that's a dream car if I ever saw one.

How does the rear feel; it being a true coilover system back there now?
Thank you so much for the kind words!

The rear end of the car feels very predictable and smooth! It's poised on the street and controllable in the rear. This cars enjoy a bit of trail braking to rotate the car and with the overall suspension and chassis setup, it is truly predictable.

Yup, it is a true rear coilover! No issues with the rear shock towers. Just lots of suspension travel and easy height adjustability.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
I just got back from the Performance Racing Industry Trade Show and Convention, JRZ has some neat stuff coming out. Olsen Motorsports, my JRZ service center and chassis setup shop, is doing a $500 holiday offer price reduction on RS Pros! :O
Appreciate 0