BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-11-2024, 12:45 PM   #1
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Anyone installed NRW fuel filter?

Given that there have been instances of engines hydro locking due to fuel injectors failing in stuck open position which apparently could happen due to debris not getting caught by the in-tank fuel filter, many people are recommending installing additional 10 micron filter in the engine bay where the hard fuel line meets the flexible line near the fuel pressure sensor, as a preventative measure to protect the fuel injectors.
I have seen a some companies make a kit for this with included couplings & hoses but the NRW kit caught my eye, seems well built & also has a bracket to hold the filter in place as well as relocates the fuel pressure sensor which is unlike other available filter kits..
Anyone installed this yet?
I’m considering this but need feedback..
Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 03:06 PM   #2
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Just put one of these in the fuel tank from time to time.

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/us/jec...3262.html#2007
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 05:16 PM   #3
drago740
Rep
Drives: M3 Sedan

Yes I have, so far so good but I only have around 200 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 12:54 PM   #4
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

I purchased the EAE kit a while back. They haven't shipped them out yet but I do plan to install it.

Had a close friend lose his S65 this way. My shop has seen it happen to others. They didn't seem too keen on the idea of an aftermarket inline filter either. Their suggestion was just factor in replacing the factory filter and injectors every 100k miles. I don't see the harm in both.

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 12:37 PM   #5
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
I installed the NRW kit this past Friday. Using reference created by tdott the whole thing took <30 minutes. More time cleaning than installing 😂

Early feedback:
Driver side coil cover piece needs slight trim to be used with the NRW kit. I opted to run w/o.
Could be ideal opportunity to install updated fuel pressure sensor and adapter kit from FCP Euro.

Wholly impressed by the kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 01:58 PM   #6
OmairK
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 - 2011 E90 M3 6M ZCP

Pics of the location of interference please!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 06:18 PM   #7
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
I installed the NRW kit this past Friday. Using reference created by tdott the whole thing took <30 minutes. More time cleaning than installing 😂

Early feedback:
Driver side coil cover piece needs slight trim to be used with the NRW kit. I opted to run w/o.
Could be ideal opportunity to install updated fuel pressure sensor and adapter kit from FCP Euro.

Wholly impressed by the kit.
Didn’t realize FCP had a kit out for the sensor and adaptor.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 07:34 PM   #8
lauz
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw z4m

Kit is backorder now…��
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 10:26 PM   #9
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauz View Post
Kit is backorder now…😡
Huh.. I just got the kit from FCP 2 weeks ago!
Maybe take the part numbers for the sensor & adapter from FCP & search on ecstuning..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 11:02 PM   #10
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you guys for the comments & feedback regarding the NRW fuel filter kit.

I ordered, received & test fitted the kit, here’s how I feel about it:

Material quality, finish & packaging is excellent.
There are no instructions included but it’s pretty straightforward but given the tight space, it’s better to take your time installing it..

After test fitting the kit, I found that the included fuel hose is too long & would run against other pipes & hoses in the vicinity.
The filter bracket should have been smaller & with rounded corners as one corner rubs against the black plastic ignition coil cover & another against the corrugated pipe running alongside the plenum.
Also the factory flexible fuel hose going to the fuel rail gets significantly flexed (beyond my comfort level), keep in mind that the newest E9x M3 is over 10-11 yrs old & gets significant amount of radiant heat from the headers, with all the years of heat cycling the rubber gets brittle & increase the chances of cracking & prone to leaking!! If it leaks, I think you’d have to replace the fuel rail as it’s crimped on to it, not only that but with its forward relocation due to this fuel filter, it’s exposed to even more heat!
All of these issues could be minimized if this filter were smaller in size (it’s too long).

After thinking & analyzing for 5 days, I decided to return this kit!
People like me are happy with aftermarket products as long as they have OEM level fitment, especially considering it’s messing with fuel line with significant heat nearby!

I did some additional research about fuel injectors & feel that its better to replace the injectors than installing this filter. Will make another post about why I think so.. this post became too lengthy!

Thanks for reading!
Please continue the discussion!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:47 AM   #11
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I installed this back in early January, done several track events, haven't had any issues since. No codes or signs of low fuel pressure.

Yes the flexible hose looks alittle awkward when installed but nothing to be concerned about imo, it's not kinked and nothing is pulling on it.

If the fuel rail ever leaks, the hose portion can be replaced fairly easily by any custom shop that makes hose connections. But I don't see that being an issue. IMO it's worth the small risk to have the extra protection of the filter.

Compared to other setups on the market, this one seems the most OEM-ish, it is mounted securely with a bracket, not just flapping around like the other ones, it also relocates the fuel presssure sensor to after the filter, allowing the DME to adjust pressure like originally intended. Others will see a small drop in pressure at the fuel rail compared to this setup.

Last edited by tdott; 03-20-2024 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2024, 08:56 PM   #12
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I believe the in-tank fuel filter is 50 microns or larger but then the fuel injectors do have a 10 - 25 micron inbuilt filter. So technically there may not be a need to have additional in line 10 micron filter before the fuel rail.
Also as most e92 M3s are over 50,000 miles, there maybe debris collected in the inbuilt filter in the injectors for which NRW or other similar filter will do nothing to clear/remove. so replacing the injectors between 50 - 75,000 miles maybe a better idea as that will improve the injector flow.
The rubber seals in/around the injectors deteriorate with time and heat cycling & if damaged, might start leaking.
I therefore decided not to use the NRW or similar filter & instead replace all the injectors around 60,000 miles..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 02:03 PM   #13
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
I therefore decided not to use the NRW or similar filter & instead replace all the injectors around 60,000 miles..
Injector failure at 47k:
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/35d...2-bmw-m3-coupe

Goodluck with that.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 04:52 PM   #14
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Question

Gents

Anyone with both NRW fuel filter & oil catch can installed?

Curious if any fitment, access/space considerations to know ahead of order.

Appreciate 0